NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 > 
So Let’s Talk Star Trek Discovery - Warning: SPOILERS
Posted: 26 September 2017 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2016-02-24

I want to know what you think of the series. Please only weigh in if you’ve actually seen the episodes they’ve put out. My thoughts are below.

Disclaimer: There are spoilers, so if you haven’t watched any of the show so far, please back out of this thread now if you want to watch it for yourself first.

Okay, so if you haven’t backed out now, then I assume you want to read/discuss the series so far despite spoilers if you haven’t seen it yet.

My thoughts in one word: worrisome.

In detail: The new characters are a bit interesting I suppose, but there hasn’t been much depth given to them. This intro was very action-packed. Unfortunately to me that came with very little substance.
I like Captain Georgiou, pity what happened to her. However, I expected as much since in the title credits she is listed as “special guest star”, so I knew deep down she probably wasn’t staying on long.

I really don’t feel I have a whole lot to say about this series for two reasons.
1) It is still the very beginning. I give any new series a 5 episode policy, I’ll give the show, its writers, and its actors 5 episodes to draw me in. If they can’t do it by then, the show could be a lost cause.

2) As I said before, this intro had little substance, it was 90% action, so there’s just little to comment on really.

So what I will say is sadly mostly critical.
I don’t like these new Klingons. These aren’t the Klingons of Star Trek, I don’t know who the hell they are, but they are not Klingons. I appreciate the idea to give Klingons more than just the typical mahogany shade of skin, that these newer Klingons have obsidian and even albino-ish shades among them. But their physiology is also foreign and uncharacteristic. Their forehead ridges are all wrong, their mandibles and teeth all wrong, even the Klingon language doesn’t sound right. Their personalities are war-only, no drunken revelry, barely any idea of honour, it’s all just unmitigated aggression. Klingons in Star Trek despite being aggressors ALWAYS had nuance.

When it comes to Burnham, how did she ever make it to First Officer? That brash crap she pulled on the captain, wow. She seems like an interesting character, but no one that impulsive would have ever made First Officer. I also don’t like her ties with Sarek. The show writers may come to make that part of the plot better, but so far all it seems like is a waypoint to garner nostalgic fans. Again, no substance.

I really can’t see how this series is meant to be set a decade before TOS. Nothing matches in the continuity. The Klingons are all wrong, the technology too upscale, the general operation of Starfleet officers so uncharacteristic and loose. It just feels so wrong right now.

As I said, I’ll give the series more time to win me over, but from what I’ve seen so far, it’ll be a hard-sell. I am very disappointed in the series’ intro. Two reviews I read online sum up my feelings precisely.

“This isn’t Star Trek - this is Star Wars with Star Trek characters”

“The producers and director forgot a basic tenant of capturing and keeping an audience: story and characters come before special effects.”

So what are all your thoughts? I’m hoping someone can provide some positives that I may have overlooked. I would love to see the light in this series, but from the intro alone, I’ve got nothing. This intro is the worst in all the Star Trek series to me, and that says a lot since TOS didn’t even have an intro technically. However, I can’t judge a whole series based on just the intro, so we will see.

Signature 

Check out my game achievements! Or scroll down to see my self-made character ala Star Trek Timelines design

The Haus of Gaghgagh is currently full right now. We are seeking fleet alliances though!

Posted: 26 September 2017 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2015-01-20

The Klingons are something I do not like either.
Not only how they look, but I do not like they way they talk ...

But I quite like Burnham and think that this char has potential.
I still give that Show a Chance. Started out on Avarage / Below Avarage, but still…it could get better.
And it was not that worse in my Opinion, some say.

Posted: 26 September 2017 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  583
Joined  2014-12-20

Worst trek opening ever.

1. Georgiou and Burnham supposed to serve together for 7 years but it did not look that way at all!

2. Burnham as first officer?
Complete disaster. Mutiny after seven years long and supposedly respectful relation with captain, impudent reaction to Saru in front of the rest bridge crew and captain, killing (?) T’Kuvma after she was the one proposing to abduct him. Worst first officer ever.

3. Klingons and terror rides?
Sorry, Klingons may be ruthless warriors, they may attack Starfleet vessels and Starfleet personel but civilians? No way. There is no honor in such behaviour!

4. T’Kuvma talks about Klingon purity and yet he chooses to work with Klingons considered outcasts/vermin by other houses? Unbelievable.

5. Torchbearer accidentally killed with his own blade?

Pretty laughable grin

6. CBS claims they spent millions of dollars on every episode yet it looked pretty poor. Cloaking effect was ugly, phaser shots were genuinely awful, space battle not compelling. Where is this money they talk about?

7. Why Burnham walked out of sickbay? Don’t they have intercom system in the future???

8. Sarek’s hologram sitting on some piece of furniture? Oh my god…

9. Telepathic communication across light years of space? Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god….

Posted: 26 September 2017 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2017-09-21

Watched it last night. Thank heavens I’m outside the US so I got it free on Netflix.

I liked it. I thought it has a lot of promise. I’ve read a couple of articles about the upcoming 3rd episode and how it pivots a little away from what we saw in the 2 pilot eps. So there’s that. Yeah the Klingons looked weird, and yeah some of the dialogue was a little wooden but I didn’t see anything that I haven’t seen before in a trek series. It felt like home to me. But of course, YMMV.

2) As I said before, this intro had little substance, it was 90% action, so there’s just little to comment on really.

Really? It felt like just a couple of minutes were of the “pew-pew” variety. I thought the pilot got bogged down with exposition, really. Lots of flashbacks, of Klingon drama. Maybe our minds glossed over different things.

Posted: 26 September 2017 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2017-06-12

Even though I agree with you about these new Klingons, that probably means we are old. Every time there is a new version of something, newer is more brutal that previous. Same thing happened with James Bond. That is because newer generations do not perceive nuances and finese as fun, they just want action and aggression, at least until they beomce “old”.

And there is also fact that these new Klingons actually look like they were supposed to in the first place, according to initial design.

Image Attachments
klingons2.png
 Signature 

Iced: 5*0 - 4*2 - 3*22 - 2*28 - 1*12

Posted: 26 September 2017 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2016-05-08

I give the new series an A+.  Why?  It sucked me in and didn’t let go.  It gave me a sense of wonderment and a sense of awe.  It felt like a movie—a better movie than the newest ones, with more depth to the plotting and characterization, and actually more awesome special effects.  And I like the characters. I am along for the ride.  And this is from someone who has been a Star Trek fan since the very beginning. In fact, I have not gotten this positive a first impression of a new Star Trek series since TOS first aired in 1966.  The new Klingons?  Well, they fit the show.  They only bother me when I am not watching and sit down and analyze rather than just taking it all in and enjoying.  If this means we are looking at a new continuity, so be it.

Bottom line?  Some people like it and some don’t.  Those who don’t seem rather cynical/jaded to me, but then I have always been a sucker for movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, and this feels like it falls in the same vein, at the same time being genuine Star Trek.  Every Star Trek fan (and sci-fi/fantasy fan for that matter) owes it to themselves to check it out and make their own decision.

Posted: 26 September 2017 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2017-03-02

I’m willing to let a few things go for the sake of understanding that TOS was made in the 60’s and therefore didn’t have the special effects (or knowledge of how technology would improve over the years). If TOS was to be remade today, I would hope it would look something like this crossed with what we see in the TOS movies.

Also, for me, it’s far to early to comment on the actual storyline. I think the first two episodes got us up to speed with the characters pretty quickly. Only time will tell how the rest of the series pans out. I agree that Burnham doesn’t ‘fit’ the mould of First Officer, especially one with a seven year working relationship with her captain. For comparison, they would have served together for the same length of time as Picard and Riker in S7 of TNG.

I liked the way they explained by the Transporters on the Shenzhou looked so weird, even if it was a blink and miss it moment. There had been a lot of talk before the series began about how those Transporters looks ‘wrong’. Now we know that it was a technological line that was abandoned by Star Fleet.

But the Klingons for me were what really defined these episodes…. and I’m sorry, but they are not Klingon.

I KNOW that Roddenbury always intended them to look like this. I KNOW that in TOS they were supposed to have head ridges and they didn’t have the budget/ability to make it happen. But the Klingons from TMP onwards, and even in Enterprise ARE the Klingons that many of us fell in love with.

Worf has always been a much loved character in the show (indeed, he is the character with the highest number of appearances) and he is a completely different creature than those “Klingons” in Discovery.

I was really hoping when I saw the trailers that these Klingons were some sort of ancient Klingon ancestor, or a Klingon sect that has modified themselves genetically or something. Perhaps the Augment Virus that changed them has had this effect on them or something.

That said - I’m looking forward to the next episode.

Posted: 26 September 2017 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2015-05-03

I watched the 2nd part and liked it a bit better than the first part. I do think that the assault and the mutiny was a step too far. But I think it does make some sense that she will get a second chance in an extreme wartime situation. I also like the idea of the main villain and the main hero (the captain) being killed in the first episode. I look at this 2 part premier as a backstory and now the show will begin with episode 3. I hope going forward it will be more character driven. If so I think I will enjoy it. But then I’m also a big Enterprise fan.

About the Klingons.  I don’t like their iconography and set designs.  It makes them look Egyptian from stargate or something, which is very off.  Their makeup is so extreme they can’t move their faces to emote at all and their voices are heavily muffled by the appliances to make them all sound like that Bane guy from Batman.

I get why they felt it was ok to change the Klingons.  We’ve seen a lot of the TNG Klingons and they have changed before so what the heck… At least they kept the Vulcans the same.  The Klingon look, for me, was the worst aspect of the show.  Saru was the best character so far.  Maybe the only character with any discernible traits aside from Burnham.  But I thought Burnham’s acting so far was fairly poor.

Posted: 26 September 2017 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2656
Joined  2014-09-09

So far, not a fan.

There was no introduction of characters.  Other than Michael, the crew might as well have been Generic Crew #‘s 1-10.  It seemed to be all action with no actual characterization. I’m guessing that’s what they were going for, but for me, if I don’t care about the characters then I don’t care about the show.

Signature 

Althea Biermont
Fleet:  Quark’s Holosuite

Ulmos Phree Tu’Plae
Fleet:  Where No Main Has Joined Before

Posted: 26 September 2017 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-02-04

Don’t like the Klingons appearance and their speech is painful to listen to.  I enjoyed the space battles.  Don’t like/care about any of the characters except Saru.  Not optimistic about liking the new captain since I can’t recall seeing Jason Isaacs play anything other than despicable villains.

Posted: 26 September 2017 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2017-03-02
Riley - 26 September 2017 08:48 AM

Not optimistic about liking the new captain since I can’t recall seeing Jason Isaacs play anything other than despicable villains.

He played a decent role in Event Horizon. I think he has potential.

Posted: 26 September 2017 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2016-02-24
[SJ] Captain Aki - 26 September 2017 12:24 PM

Not optimistic about liking the new captain since I can’t recall seeing Jason Isaacs play anything other than despicable villains.

I am looking forward to Lorca.

One character we saw in the intro who I thought was easy to overlook due to short screen time, but to me delivered quite a memorable tiny little scene was Dr. Nambue. I think we saw him for maybe 5-10 seconds, but he was definitely giving me good doctor persona.

Something I am interested in, is Capt. Georgiou (omg I typed Georgious, is that like Georgiou + Gorgeous?) is billed/casted for 15 episodes, so will we be getting a ton of flashbacks and backstory? I want that, I felt the backstory we got in the intro was a bit dry. And Georgiou was one of the strong characters to me.

Signature 

Check out my game achievements! Or scroll down to see my self-made character ala Star Trek Timelines design

The Haus of Gaghgagh is currently full right now. We are seeking fleet alliances though!

Posted: 26 September 2017 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  576
Joined  2014-04-08

The technology and ship design seem far beyond it’s time that in ten years away is the adventures of Kirk and Spock occur. Even so with what design was in 1960’s the design could have been better. There was no holographic tech during or before Kirk’s time especially Sarek looking far much younger. So they ignored canon there with actual tech like holographic tech as first used in when Sulu was captain and not good at first as confirmed in VOY:“Flashback”. Getting engaged with characters and the story felt really felt. The only thing that felt original was Saru which was new alien race introduced. Beyond that I have no interest in CBS All All Access and hope everyone else enjoys it.

Signature 

“Live long and prosper.”-Spock

Posted: 26 September 2017 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-02-04
[SJ] Captain Aki - 26 September 2017 12:24 PM

I hope you are right. I want to like Discovery.

Posted: 26 September 2017 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2017-05-15

To put this in perspective, I have been a Trekkie all my life, since watching TOS AS IT ORIGINALLY AIRED, Friday nights on CBS.
(I know that dates me, but that’s okay)

So first, I am liking the timeline consistency with TOS. It is a fine line they had to walk with getting the story right, and there are 14 more episodes in the season to figure out what the overall story is.

The Klingon language is more in the realm of the TOS early Movies to me than TNG onward. But then, would you be able to talk to a person from the 1890s?. Language evolves, deal with it. (lol)

I did not ever finish watching Enterprise, and I know there were episodes that dealt with the Klingon discontinuity/illness/genetic alteration - whatever. I will eventually go back and finish it, but for me right now, we know from TNG/DS9 onward, that there were “problems in the empire’s past we do not talk of with outsiders.” (Paraphrased from Worf dialogue)

I like the USS Shenzhou design MUCH better than the USS Discovery.  Seems like the Vulcans may have had a hand in the design of the Discovery, as it looks like a giant IDIC turned inside out.

The backstory between Cmdr Burnam & Captain Georgiou is better understood with the plethora of articles that were released months before the airing of the new series. Burnam’s childhood being emotionally suppressed as a human living on Vulcan was obviously traumatic in some ways, and emotionally stunting. Thus, yes, she acted “logically” by giving the Captain the Vulcan Nerve Pinch and tried to save the ship the only way she understood how.  Not ideal, just makes sense for the story.

Another thing to keep in mind, Vulcan has a denser atmosphere and slightly higher gravity than Earth, so in any given circumstance, Burnam should be generally stronger than most humans in her “weight class”. This may have led to the defeat of the Klingon Torchbearer underestimating her being a “puny human”, but in zero-gee, strength may be irrelevant.

Saru was a surprise. I was not expecting such a wimp. Again, makes sense with the story - flight over fight with regards to his backstory.

The onboard tech & look of the ship was pretty cool to me. It looks like they very much tried to make things look between what we have now, and what things should have looked like on Enterprise in TMP.

And finally, the attitude of the Starfleet crew of the Shenzhou in general makes absolute sense, in that they have had likely had only minor conflicts over their voyage, and mostly just an exploration vessel. 

I have been cautiously optimistic about Discovery since the announcement almost 2 years ago. The biggest complaint I might have is CBS is entirely stupid for trying to recoup their costs by taking drastic measures to make it a pay to watch series. They should have sold the rights to Netflix or Amazon of that was such a big concern.

Season 2 in 2019, IF it isn’t canceled by then. (As all of the best shows are now days.)

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2017 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2017-09-24

My two problems/cents:

1)  “You should be captain of your own ship,” said nobody EVER to an officer with SEVEN YEARS service?!?!?!  I recall Riker was in his 50’s when the powers that be began to pressure him?

2)  A 110lbs., 50yr old female, who is also the CAPTAIN of a ship, goes on an “abduct a Klingon” mission?!?!?!  Jee, she was killed; surprise…  Shame really, they killed my crush.

1 2 > 
1 of 2