NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 3 >  Last ›
Voyages - A Very Basic Guide
Posted: 21 September 2017 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2017-06-13

I AM NOT SPAM

Star Trek Timelines
Voyages
A Basic Guide

Overview
“These are the voyages…”

Voyages have been added to Star Trek: Timelines.  In a voyage, you pick a ship and a crew of 12 from your roster and send them out on a theoretically[1] continual mission.

To set out on a voyage, go to the Galaxy Map and look in the bottom left hand corner.

Ship and Crew Selection
“This fine ship, this fine crew…” - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

While you can technically select any ship in your armada and any crew in your roster to go out and lark about the galaxy, each time you start a voyage there will be recommended ships, skills and crew traits that will net you a bonus to antimatter and make the voyage easier.

There are two stars, one gold and one silver.  These seem to indicate the two skills that will be checked most often on your voyage[2][3].

The ship you choose has an impact.  Ships have traits like crew do.  Picking the recommended ship should[4] indicate that its traits will be utilized best in your upcoming voyage.

Likewise with crew.  You can choose the crewman with the highest skill to put in each slot, but each slot has a recommended trait that should end up being utilized as the voyage continues.

Important:  Crew selected for a voyage will be unavailable for shuttles and missions until they return.  Ships, however, are still available for pvp combat, missions, etc.

The other reason to select the ship and crew based on traits is the antimatter bonus you receive for doing so.  Your total antimatter at the start of your voyage increases more when recommended ship/crew are selected.

Why is antimatter important?  Well…

Antimatter: The Breakdown
“Compression coil busts, we’re drifting…” - Kaylee

Antimatter is incredibly important to your voyage.  You start with a large amount, which increases and decreases depending on the events that occur during your voyage.  Antimatter can be refreshed or renewed with a dilithium purchase if necessary.  When you run out of antimatter entirely, the voyage is not only over but completely failed.  So…

“Best not bust then.” - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

As your voyage goes on, every minute or so a small event will occur.  Some are pure flavor - poetry recitals, sporting events, etc.  Some have rewards attached such as basic components, credits, chrons and trainers.  And some are hazards.
What’s important here is that each event will consume 1 antimatter automatically.
Hazards, on the other hand, can either award antimatter or consume a larger amount of it depending on the outcome.  So let’s talk Hazards.

Hazards
“Never give up, never surrender!” - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Hazards appear regularly on your voyage, and have a skill check attached to them.  This skill check will be indicated with a triangle that has a ! in its center.  Success or failure is based on the skill level of whatever crewman the hazard has assigned to resolve it, or possibly the total skill level you’ve taken on your voyage, but both are pretty much just guessing at this point because the god forbid that the developers actually clarify this sort of thing for us.

If you pass a hazard, you gain 5 additional antimatter.  This is good.
If you fail a hazard, you lose an additional 30 antimatter.  This is not so good.

It’s important to know that there’s nothing you can do once the voyage sets out to either pass or fail a hazard.  It’s based on your crew and ship choices at the start of the voyage, so make sure everything’s squared away before you leave drydock.

Dilemmas
“What does that make us?” - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
“Big damn heroes, Sir.” - Zoe Washburne

Every two hours, a different kind of event pops up - a Dilemma.  The difference between a hazard and a dilemma is that it does not automatically resolve - the dilemma requires user input to make a choice.  Once you’ve made your choice, a set of rewards appear and your voyage continues on for another two hours, but with increased difficulty for hazards and better rewards to come.

Possible Bug
“No matter where you go, no matter what you do, that clock, the clock in San Dimas, is always running.  Got it?”  - Rufus.

Warning: Though it looks like time stops for the dilemma, things still happen in the background.  This means that if you set up a voyage and go to sleep, it will wait for you to resolve your dilemma in two hours however the next set of hazards and events are still occurring in the background and time continues on.  You just don’t see it, and when you look the antimatter count might still be where it was when the dilemma began but after a short while the game catches up and it drops down based on successes/failures you didn’t even get to see while you were asleep.  It also doesn’t happen every time.  Fun.

Running Down the Antimatter
“Empty.  The opposite of full.  This case is supposed to be FULL!  Anyone care to explain?” -Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg

The big limitation on voyages is antimatter, as previously discussed.  Also as previously discussed your antimatter will eventually run down to zero.  When this happens, your voyage is over and also failed.  If you do not pay dilithium to continue, you will be returning home with no rewards at all.  All previous rewards are forfeit if your antimatter reaches zero.  Do not let your antimatter run out.  Zero is bad.  Empty cargo holds suck.  I think I’ve made this clear.
Before your antimatter hits zero, recall the ship and end the voyage.

1/2 I AM NOT SPAM

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-06-13

I AM NOT SPAM

Recalling the Ship

“Chewie, we’re home.” -Han Solo

No matter how good your crew, no matter how powerful your ship, you will eventually have to return home from your voyage.  It’s important to know that this does not happen automatically.  Your ship will just keep on keepin’ on out into the void until you press the little button that says “Recall”.  Recalling the ship ends the voyage and starts the ship on its way back to you.  When it arrives, you get all of the rewards that it earned on its voyage.

Recalling your ship can be done at almost any time[5] and technically stops the voyage right there and then.  What happens in practice is this:

The voyage outwards stops and the ship turns around to come home.
The ship will take time to return to you, at approximately 40% of the time spent getting to where it is.  So a 2 hour voyage will take about 40ish minutes to return.  Longer voyages increase this.  This can be negated with dilithium if you desperately need the crew back earlier.
It costs zero antimatter to recall and return, so you can run down antimatter to near zero.

Why near zero and not absolute zero?  Well…

“Oh God, oh God, we’re all gonna die!” - Hoban Washburne

If you hit recall while a hazard is still being played out, the hazard will continue to resolve in the background, even if your readout says you are returning home.  This is important, because if you fail that hazard you will lose 30 antimatter even though it costs zero to get home.
So if you want to play it close to empty, have at least 31 antimatter remaining (or lets play it safer and have a couple of hundred right now) when you hit recall - just in case.  Or pay close attention to what event/hazard is going on when you hit recall.  Because if that antimatter hits zero…that’s it.  You’ve failed, even on the recall.  Do not pass go, do not collect shiny rewards.  Unless, of course, you want to spend dilithium.  Your call.

Signing Off
“Good night and good luck” - Edward R. Murrow

The random nature of the voyage events and hazards means that you’re going to see some odd, amusing little tales about the voyage.  Borg will happily play sporting events, Cardassians will joyfully enter poetry competitions, and plagues of cats will infest your Jeffries Tubes.  Enjoy the odd quirks, smile, and remember that each voyage is a story and each story is yours.

This is a very basic rundown of voyages.  It’s not complete, there are still assumptions and conjecture contained within it, and people smarter and better than me will find errors or corrections I’m sure.  But I hope it helps, at least a little.  If there are glaring errors, please feel free to contact me through messages or leave comments below and I’ll do my best to amend/correct them when new data comes to light.

[1] Theoretically continual because your own crew’s limits and increasing difficulty as time passes on the voyage will bring your voyage to an end at some point.

[2] Seem to indicate, because that makes logical sense.  Other theories are that it could be the skills that get the most bonuses, or better rewards.

[3] Though for some reason when logging out and back into the game there is a chance that these will change (this could be a bug).

[4] Conjecture.  Logical, but still not verified.

[5] Except during dilemmas.

I AM NOT SPAM

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2017-06-09

This needs a sticky.  Great overview.

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-06-13
[ST] Zack - 21 September 2017 10:34 AM

This needs a sticky.  Great overview.

Thank you.  Though parts of it are pure guesswork on my part and will likely need correcting. smile

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-08-29

I get it states that the ship effects hazards but how?  I am still trying to understand how the system determines if you succeed or fail a hazard check.

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2017-03-22

It amazes me what a great community this game has, for how little focks DB gives.

Nice job man, well done.

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2016-12-07

its upsetting that again the community must do the leg work(ex. Timelines Wiki) to explain gameplay implemented by DB that said, thanks for taking the time and doing this. The in game description doesn’t explain nearly this much detail and this helps a lot.

Signature 

“Risk is our business. That is what a starship is all about.”
Cpt. James T. Kirk

DB: Do Better!

Posted: 21 September 2017 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-09-21

what idiotic person decides add update to game that only half players get while other half have wait week, any updates like this last update should be available to all players at same time

Posted: 21 September 2017 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-06-09
guest_796746481635328 - 21 September 2017 10:59 AM

what idiotic person decides add update to game that only half players get while other half have wait week, any updates like this last update should be available to all players at same time

What are you talking about?  I think everyone can get the update if they go to their app store and update their client.  Are you of appropriate level to play voyages?

Posted: 21 September 2017 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-09-21
[ST] Zack - 21 September 2017 11:00 AM

What are you talking about?  I think everyone can get the update if they go to their app store and update their client.  Are you of appropriate level to play voyages?

level 57, players on facebook gameroom do not have voyages update

Posted: 21 September 2017 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-06-09

You’re right.

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewannounce/69931_36/

“Please note that the update could take up to 24 hours to become available for everyone, on every platform.”

I don’t think 24 hours is that big of a deal, personally.

Posted: 21 September 2017 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2016-08-25
guest_796746481635328 - 21 September 2017 11:14 AM
[ST] Zack - 21 September 2017 11:00 AM

level 57, players on facebook gameroom do not have voyages update

I have played it through Android and Steam. Have you tried using it on those platforms?

Posted: 21 September 2017 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2017-02-13

Excellent overview, and nice work with the interjected quotes.  smile

However, since you didn’t put a disclaimer footnote on this paragraph, do you have evidence that the “recommended trait” does really have an impact?

dearbluey - 21 September 2017 10:26 AM

You can choose the crewman with the highest skill to put in each slot, but each slot has a recommended trait that should end up being utilized as the voyage continues.

For that matter, do you even need to put people in the “right” job, if it’s only the total ship power in that class that’s measured for success/failure? Alternately, if the individual character power is what’s measured, then does the total ship power even matter?

So many questions…  DB, please, it’s fine to let us figure out the best strategies for ourselves, but we should at least be told what the *rules* are.

Posted: 21 September 2017 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-06-13
Magisse - 21 September 2017 11:45 AM

Excellent overview, and nice work with the interjected quotes.  smile

However, since you didn’t put a disclaimer footnote on this paragraph, do you have evidence that the “recommended trait” does really have an impact?

dearbluey - 21 September 2017 10:26 AM

You can choose the crewman with the highest skill to put in each slot, but each slot has a recommended trait that should end up being utilized as the voyage continues.

For that matter, do you even need to put people in the “right” job, if it’s only the total ship power in that class that’s measured for success/failure? Alternately, if the individual character power is what’s measured, then does the total ship power even matter?

So many questions…  DB, please, it’s fine to let us figure out the best strategies for ourselves, but we should at least be told what the *rules* are.

It’s pure conjecture at this point.  While it’s possible that DB only put the traits in to get us extra antimatter at the start of the voyage (that’s verified), it seems likely that they also have an effect on the skill checks.  We don’t get to see the rolls like we do in missions, so…alas.  I would have said this, but I’d already added a handful of footnotes saying “well, it should, but…”  smile

Posted: 21 September 2017 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2016-07-26

This needs to be stickied, very helpful for the new addition to the game.

Posted: 22 September 2017 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  408
Joined  2016-12-16

So this is just my observation, but the stats may be useful to some.

Out of 9 hazards, it appears that 3 will be the primary skill, 2 will be the second (silver skill, and 1 for each of the other 4 skills. It won’t be exact, but close.

It also appears that there are 80 hazards in a 2 hour block, or one every 90 seconds.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4