NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Poll
What say you all?
Worthy sci-fi addition 11
Clear Star Trek knockoff 5
Wretched sci-fi wannabe 3
Something else (specify) 0
Total Votes: 19
You must be a logged-in member to vote
The Orville
Posted: 18 September 2017 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2016-12-30

Just curious what a bunch of Trek fanatics think of this other new show.

Posted: 23 September 2017 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2016-01-25

Just watched the first episode tonight with my wife.

Now first off, my wife and I do not accept anything Star Trek other than TOS, TAS, TOS movies, TNG, and TNG movies (we do enjoy the reboot movies but not for the StarTrek-ness). We binged watched DS9 and VOY, and quite frankly we would have preferred to have been slowly dissolved in a vat of acid instead. I still have not fully watched ENT (my wife refuses to bother with it due to the other two dismal failures), but so much of the storyline is counter-TOS that it cannot be taken as Star Trek. And we are not too optimistic about the new ST:D series either.

So with all that, she and I watched the first episode of The Orville. She left the room about half-way through, saying it was not interesting and that there was too much sexual innuendos. I did watch the whole episode, and yeah… I was NOT impressed. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that I will not bother watching any more episodes. But I will say that non-TOS/TNG fans and people who like spoof-series might think it is okay.

Posted: 28 September 2017 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-07-26

I do agree the 1st episode wasn’t all that- They went well over the top with the fact the Captain and XO where married and she cheated on him, crushing his very soul. It would have been fine had they just touched on it, but they beat that horse to death and keep on flogging it. Ruined the episode for me.
Now the 2nd Episode was a lot better; it posed some interesting questions and moral dilemmas that where compelling but failed for me because it relied on make believe chemistry the crew would not have had together so soon after there maiden launch. It would have worked better as a 9th or 10th episode.
Now the 3rd episode I found actually quit good. It is actually re watchable namely on the questions an dilemmas it poses. If it continues on like this, it may very well mature into a decent scifi/comedy show