NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Poll
First impressions?
Yay! 8
Boo. 4
Total Votes: 12
You must be a logged-in member to vote
So, Orville?  First impressions?
Posted: 14 September 2017 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2017-02-13

I was pretty happy with it, myself.  I thought it was a decent, thought-out first story.  I liked the characters.  It was amusing without being overly goofy (I frankly expected more silliness, so was happily surprised there).  Was quite impressed with the graphics and costuming/make-up.

My wife, unfortunately, found it boring.  She’s willing to give it some time at least, but she’s not a huge Trek fan anyway (she likes that *other* scifi mega franchise).

Posted: 23 September 2017 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2017-01-31

Watched the first 3 episodes - first 2 were kind of meh with the occasional chuckle, the 3rd was pretty much a TNG ethical drama with a bit of humour thrown in which was really unexpected (but good).

I’ll keep watching mainly for the cameos from trek alumni and see if the show has any legs other than puerile jokes.

Posted: 23 September 2017 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2017-02-13
Boxy McBoxface - 23 September 2017 05:44 PM

Watched the first 3 episodes - first 2 were kind of meh with the occasional chuckle, the 3rd was pretty much a TNG ethical drama with a bit of humour thrown in which was really unexpected (but good).

Yes, this surprised me completely!  I thought it was just supposed to be a jokey spoof, and then they pulled that out.  Even Ep 2 had a “lesson” premise.  I’m curious to see where they wind up going, and what kind of a show this is.

Posted: 23 September 2017 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-01-15

I have low tolerances for movies and TV so I almost enjoy everything. This did not disappoint. I love the deadpan by the First Officer.

Signature 

Lvl 56 VIP 14

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA, Eastern Time
FLL Based Flight Attendant

Posted: 26 September 2017 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2017-02-04

Not generally a fan of bathroom humor but Bortus’ response (in tone and timing) to the captain’s complaint about nighttime bathroom visits made me laugh out loud, and that was not the only time.  Good sense of humor with good story/themes is +2 up on Discovery so far.  I will keep watching.

Posted: 26 September 2017 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  576
Joined  2014-04-08

I loved the Orville and very interested in Seth Macfarlane’s new universe he is setting up for his scifi show he created and wrote.

Signature 

“Live long and prosper.”-Spock

Posted: 02 October 2017 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2017-01-08

I did think the last episode with the ship the size of Manhattan was the best so far. I just wish they’d dump the juvenile humor… but I doubt that MacFarlane will ever do that. (This is, after all, the same guy who sang a song called “We Saw Your Boobs” when he hosted the Oscars.) I’m about as far from a prude as you can get, but that stuff is just tiresome and annoying after awhile—especially in a show that’s otherwise sort of straightforward and “normal”. To me, it feels really out of place. I almost wonder if he’s afraid that if he took out the crude content, he wouldn’t have as much success with it?

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 02 October 2017 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2016-07-26

So far I am loving “The Orville”, for a mock trek it knows how to do the right blend of serious and comedy which is rare.