NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Burnt by the Instant Gauntlet Reset Again…
Posted: 13 September 2017 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1687
Joined  2016-09-02

it might not be the best way to describe it, but i’m sure some of you know what i’m talking about. it’s not exactly a bug, as it could be used to decrease the gap between gauntlet resets to exactly 4 hours, but it sure doesn’t seem like an intended feature.

to reproduce, all you have to do is leave the gauntlet open on any of its screens and wait for the next reset. with it open, when the timer runs out and all your crew is returned to full strength, the new timer starts counting down BEFORE the first fight of this new session.

you come back to the game and all 5 crew are fresh, so you look at the clock - 2PM - and assume you have until 6PM to finish this new session, once you engage in the first matchup. well, if the previous reset occurred at let’s say 9AM AND the gauntlet was left open, this 2PM fight will leave you with only 3 hours to complete the session! what happens is that the new 4 hour timer starts instantly once the previous timer runs out. so it’s 5:30PM, my first fight was at 2PM, and now that i’ve come back to finish the session, it turns out it’s already done, and i’m already into the next reset with all fresh crew again. that’s not supposed to happen. how can crew start recovering if they haven’t been used yet???

long story short, the end result is missing out on an entire session because the timer started counting down from 3 hours instead of 4 after the first fight. it’s not really a big deal to me, but on the final day of a gauntlet, an unexpected reset like that really cripples your rank. again, this could also be used as an advantage in case you didn’t want to lose a single second between session resets. so i don’t know, should this be fixed? has this caught you by surprise and cost you a reset?

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 13 September 2017 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08
p377y7h33f - 13 September 2017 05:31 PM

to reproduce, all you have to do is leave the gauntlet open on any of its screens and wait for the next reset. with it open, when the timer runs out and all your crew is returned to full strength, the new timer starts counting down BEFORE the first fight of this new session.

I wish it was that simple, but in my experience it doesn’t always happen.  Then again, maybe it’s as simple as preventing screen lock while idling.

Anyway, I see this as a feature not a bug.  As you say, it’s a way to squeeze out every round possible.  I also see it as something you do intentionally.  If you don’t want to get caught by the surprise reset, you simply don’t leave yourself sitting at the gauntlet screen, no?

Posted: 13 September 2017 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  532
Joined  2016-12-17

On the flip side, it lets you play back-to-back rounds. Also seems unintended.

Signature 

“I am Dyslexia of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.”

Posted: 13 September 2017 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1687
Joined  2016-09-02

yep, if you’re aware of this mechanic and keep a close eye on your resets, it’s not a difficult thing to manage. most of the time you won’t even notice the difference in timers, unless you intentionally triggered it. the surprise happens when you don’t even think about it, when life pulls you away from the game in the middle of a gauntlet session, or you were just sitting there watching the timer with nothing else to do and left it there, or whatever reason that caused the “feature” to trigger it without you realizing it. i just don’t like stuff happening automatically without me being aware of it. from what i understand you, guys, want to keep the “feature”? i guess i’m just getting lazy about my accounts. like i haven’t collected the daily 10/10 award of 200 honor for like a week, because i can’t be bothered doing 5 pointless arena battles 3 minutes apart. often miss out on some of the weekend cadet tickets too. ok then, carry on.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 18 September 2017 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2016-08-26

Yeah, sure seems like the

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewannounce/61277_36/

didn’t fix everything.

I have been testing this for a day or two now. So far I haven’t come up with a conclusive triggering mechanism. Anyone knows what exactly triggers the refresh? Things presented here and in other topics about it do not match my data, i.e. having the game open etc does not seem to be the triggering factor.

I have tested starting a match.
Looking at a match, not fighting.
Just looking at positions.
Simply having the game open (even this seems enough).
Having the game on sleep (tablet background - seems to be enough).

The easiest test is to see the 5 notification pop up on the gauntlet, wait 5 minutes, go in and fight once and figure out if your timer says 03:59 or 03:54.

At times you arrive a bit late and the timer might be at 02:40. Again proof but we still don’t know the exact trigger.

And then we have the case when you have a reset in like 30 mins but you go in and notice the gauntlet has already refreshed. Funny thing with this one is, if you NOW wait 5 mins and then fight, your timer will always (?) be at 03:59. Apparently a early refresh does not start the countdown.

I think I’m too lazy to collect data and figure out the exact mechanism/bug behind this one. Still curious though, should be fairly easy to figure this one out.

Unless you are going for a refresh 10 minutes before the gauntlet ends this is mainly a good thing, especially if you are in a merit crunch (which I often end up in during galaxy events as I hunt chrons).

Posted: 18 September 2017 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  566
Joined  2016-07-07

Yea, I would think it’d just be easier if they set it up to reset every 4 hours (0000, 0400, 0800, 1200, 1600, and 2000) rather than each person having their own “reset timer”.

Signature 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 18 September 2017 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2017-03-13

The Feature is engaged when you select an Opponent for a used character. When the timer goes to 0 the server is contacted and the timer is reset. Is use this at work. Play a set of gauntlet in the morning leave the game with Opponent selected and unlock screen for a few secs after reset time. Then i can play during lunch break without loosing the gauntlet timing.

Great Feature.

Posted: 19 September 2017 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2016-08-26

Sure about this? Just opening the game without going into the gauntlet at all seems to work. Come back 1 h later and bingo, 3h.

I’m starting to suspect this is something like if you enter the game within 1-2h (?) of the 4h reset, you will get a new reset according to that reset. Wait too long and you get a first battle reset.

If anyone can present a guaranteed way to always launch an early timer I’ll spend one gauntlet testing that “theory” for sure smile .