NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
Key information about the event: Retrograde (09/21) - edit 09/25 New Faction event feature.
Posted: 13 September 2017 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  781
Joined  2016-05-28
qxqx - 13 September 2017 01:35 PM

The artwork looks awful and as simple as drawn by a five year old. It consists only of 4 colors LOL.

Explain. How does a lack of detail or simpler colour palette denote childishness?

The only real problem with TAS is the theme. Its like TOS’s theme except… worse.

In some respects its better sci-fi than the original. TOS is restrained by both budget and special effects. TAS was only limited by imagination. Its why in the first episode they had the Enterprise investigate a giant space ship built by a race of insectoids.

Signature 

VIP 6 - 115 Crew Slots - 222 Immortals

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2017-03-12
Captain Lost - 13 September 2017 02:27 PM

Also, I thought we were going to get a Discovery Mega Event in September?

It makes sense to start it after the first episode has aired. So the week after the next event is perfect for that…

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08
Data1001 - 13 September 2017 02:40 PM

Eh, I see what you’re saying, but I’m not sure that reasoning holds up.

Look at TAS as a depiction of those adventures. For instance, when I watch the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Star Wars: Rebels (which both include characters who have been in the live-action films), I don’t think: “Oh, these are animated characters, living in an animated universe.” Rather, I accept it as an animated depiction, or representation, of real-world characters.

Were one to take your supposition to its logical conclusion ...

It’s not my supposition.  I’m actually saying that qxqx, by asking if your rendition of Arex would be canon, is making that supposition.  My position is the same as yours.  smile

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  408
Joined  2016-12-16

Shan, can you confirm that the new 5* Labourer Spock is from an episode of Trek and not a fake?

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2016-06-13

Also, if you could, I would like the team to re-evaluate the name of this particular card. 

You see, I don’t like the word “laborer”.  It sounds clunky, it spells wacky and it smells funny.  I don’t know if I should use the French spelling with a U or if that’s even French.

See?  I’ve gone and offended a country.

Laborer.  It just sounds weirder and weirder when you say it outloud.

Call him “Seattle Spock”.

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2016-06-01

I’m curious to know why people diss the Animated series if they haven’t even watched it and hate ST Discovery when it hasn’t even been released yet.
ST Timelines is based on the already improbable premise that ALL canonical movies and TV shows of the Star Trek multiverse can converge into one sandbox at the same time.
I remember the same kind of hate for the idea of the Next Generation when the cast and show was announced in the 90’s.
Give ST Discovery a chance, people !
It’s our first TV Star Trek in years, and think we should support it.
Personally, I don’t wanna just watch TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and TAS re-runs until I die.
More new Star Trek, please, Paramount.

Signature 

- Very Idiotic Person Level 14

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  566
Joined  2016-07-07

So, I’m going out on a limb to say I might be the only one who read “Labrador Spock” and thought the game was going in a REALLY strange direction…

Signature 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2016-11-29
JERI RYAN - 13 September 2017 03:13 PM

I’m curious to know why people diss the Animated series if they haven’t even watched it and hate ST Discovery when it hasn’t even been released yet.
ST Timelines is based on the already improbable premise that ALL canonical movies and TV shows of the Star Trek multiverse can converge into one sandbox at the same time.
I remember the same kind of hate for the idea of the Next Generation when the cast and show was announced in the 90’s.
Give ST Discovery a chance, people !
It’s our first TV Star Trek in years, and think we should support it.
Personally, I don’t wanna just watch TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and TAS re-runs until I die.
More new Star Trek, please, Paramount.

Nobody would be happier than the people who criticize it if they were proofed wrong. The reason why those persons are concerned is actually because they love ST and ST is very important for them and they fear that it might fail because of some decisions of the makers (stupid things which happened so far, like the klingons). So they put their energy to describe what could be done better, based on the things we have seen so far. The same base as some fanboys use to praise it in heaven. So if you ask me. I hope I’m wrong and Discovery will get a big success but this can only be accomplished if the makers don’t spit the “original” fans in the face and only look afer some new blood, like JJ did. So I think “our” fear is well based. But knowing CBS/Paramount I hope that whole mess was just because of bad PR, like they seem incompetent in that area.

But saying ALL canon movies etc are part of timelines is driven by a company which want to make as much money as possible, that is their primary interest (which is okay from their view). But I’ve learned that the interests of most companies are in the end diametral to the interests of their customers, only sometimes they seem to (coincidentally) concur. The same idea of timelines is the idea if McDonalds says, “all out burgers and stuff are part of a greater idea, so buy them all”.

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  781
Joined  2016-05-28
eXo | Frank - 13 September 2017 03:08 PM

You see, I don’t like the word “laborer”.  It sounds clunky, it spells wacky and it smells funny.  I don’t know if I should use the French spelling with a U or if that’s even French.

Labourer is the proper English spelling. The Merriam Webster Dictionary is a rag.

Signature 

VIP 6 - 115 Crew Slots - 222 Immortals

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2016-11-29
Ivanstone - 13 September 2017 02:47 PM
qxqx - 13 September 2017 01:35 PM

The artwork looks awful and as simple as drawn by a five year old. It consists only of 4 colors LOL.

Explain. How does a lack of detail or simpler colour palette denote childishness?

TAS was intended to be for a children audience. Beside that, to answer your question directly: The vast majority of cartoons from the 60s-90s(or something) are made for children. So based on that, my assumption and due to probability TAS is as well. At least I haven’t seen nor heard something which makes me think it is not.

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1155
Joined  2016-05-29

Thrilled to have Arex enter the game! I hope he’ll be the threshold reward so I can get my grubby little paws on him more quickly.

Signature 

Fleet Recruitment Info: Attack of the Crohn’s
Advice Threads:
Riker’s Angels: Sito/Seska/Pazlar | Crew Dismissal Advice | Behold! Advice | #JusticeForGeordi

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2656
Joined  2014-09-09

Many of the episodes of the animated series were scripts for a 4th season of Star Trek.  They trimmed them down to a half hour and eliminated some of the more adult themes that wouldn’t appropriate for a Saturday morning show.  The animated series consisted of the same crew as the original series (with the original actors doing the voices) and the addition of 2 all new crew, Arex and M’Ress.

Some of the episodes were sequels to episodes in the original series.  For example:

One of Our Planets is Missing - a follow up to “The Ultimate Computer”
More Trouble, More Tribbles - a follow up to “The Trouble with Tribbles”
Once Upon a Planet - a follow up set on the same planet as “Shore Leave”
Mudd’s Passion - a new story featuring Harry Mudd

And one of the episodes was better than many of the regular episodes of the Original Series.  “Yesteryear” where Spock time travels and encounters his younger self.  It fills in a lot of his backstory and definitely hits the heart.

Here is the crew

Signature 

Althea Biermont
Fleet:  Quark’s Holosuite

Ulmos Phree Tu’Plae
Fleet:  Where No Main Has Joined Before

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2016-10-14

Will there be a new 2* Crew for this event?

Signature 

FF but not FE 5* = 0, 4* = 19, 3* = 5, 2* = 1

FE but not FF 5* = 0, 4* = 1, 3* = 0

Immortalized 5* = 0, 4* = 11, 3* = 57, 2* = 36, 1* = 27

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2017-01-08
Dralix - 13 September 2017 02:52 PM
Data1001 - 13 September 2017 02:40 PM

Eh, I see what you’re saying, but I’m not sure that reasoning holds up.

Look at TAS as a depiction of those adventures. For instance, when I watch the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Star Wars: Rebels (which both include characters who have been in the live-action films), I don’t think: “Oh, these are animated characters, living in an animated universe.” Rather, I accept it as an animated depiction, or representation, of real-world characters.

Were one to take your supposition to its logical conclusion ...

It’s not my supposition.  I’m actually saying that qxqx, by asking if your rendition of Arex would be canon, is making that supposition.  My position is the same as yours.  smile

Oh… sorry about that. In that case, nevermind what I said.  raspberry

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 13 September 2017 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2016-06-13
Ivanstone - 13 September 2017 03:30 PM
eXo | Frank - 13 September 2017 03:08 PM

Labourer is the proper English spelling. The Merriam Webster Dictionary is a rag.

Would you say…it’s a…PURPLE rag?

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
3 of 11