NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
Key information about the event: Retrograde (09/21) - edit 09/25 New Faction event feature.
Posted: 13 September 2017 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08
qxqx - 13 September 2017 01:52 PM

If he would look like this, would it still count as canon?

Do you think the in-universe Arex is a 4 color, two dimensional creature?

Posted: 13 September 2017 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2017-01-08
izausome - 13 September 2017 01:50 PM

Here he is…

“He’ll fit in fine.” Uhh…

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 13 September 2017 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2016-03-22
Data1001 - 13 September 2017 01:55 PM
izausome - 13 September 2017 01:50 PM

Here he is…

“He’ll fit in fine.” Uhh…

You’ve seen the artwork in the game haven’t you? Proto worf, blood oath dax, klingon Janeway, Borg la forge,..ugtok….yeah arex fits fine.

Signature 

Timelines Item Finder on Google Play

Timelines Crew Cost Viewer

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-01-08
izausome - 13 September 2017 01:58 PM

You’ve seen the artwork in the game haven’t you? Proto worf, blood oath dax, klingon Janeway, Borg la forge,..ugtok….yeah arex fits fine.

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2016-02-20

Count me in the camp of others having bad art and fake characters. I’ll take him over that martok thing any day of the week.

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2016-12-01

Only 1 faction, on a non hybrid shuttle event ?
Please confirm..

Signature 

Yay Voyages !
Don’t nerf them or screw it up.
Please :D

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2016-02-20

That did catch my eye also. But some of the original events had only one faction also.

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2016-11-29
Dralix - 13 September 2017 01:54 PM

As it looks like, yes. Never watched TAS nor do I intend to, but looked it up in memory alpha. If people like it, okay… But Db shouldn’t oversee the masses which don’t like or even hate it, or it can have a serious influence on their revenue. I’ll just airlock him, as I did with other bad art chars like 23 Martok.

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2014-07-01
bowdy - 13 September 2017 01:49 PM

All well and good T’Pol being bonus crew because of T’Mir, but will T’Mir count as a bonus crew of T’Pol in the future??

If not, it makes me wonder why I would want her at all if her base and prof are not top of the range. Just another medicore, very-unlikely-to-be-bonus-crew clogging up your slots. (I hear they have an ointment for that…)

Typically not.  In the event with Sela, Yar variants counted but when a Yar event came around Sela did not count as event crew.

The reason for keeping T’Mir will either be because you are a collector or her stats will be worth keeping here as an active crew member for shuttles, gauntlet, or PvP.

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08
qxqx - 13 September 2017 02:17 PM

As it looks like, yes.

Do you also think that Kirk, Spock, and the others from TAS are 4 color, two dimensional beings?  And that TAS is set in some sort of parallel universe where everyone and everything is 4 color, 2D?

I’m responding only to your question about whether an Arex like Data001 posted would be canon.  To suggest it wouldn’t be would be to suggest that TAS is actually set in a cartoon universe.

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2017-05-20

Getting excited, then disappointed, when I see Spock in an event but it’s not Wrath of Khan Captain Spock. Also, I thought we were going to get a Discovery Mega Event in September?

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2016-12-24
Captain Jon Snow - 13 September 2017 01:39 PM

He is from the animated series which is cannon by the way. But you do what you want. See you in a couple of weeks

Officially, TAS was never considered canon, the only (debatable) exception being Yesteryear (or elements thereof).
But, how each person views it is of course up to the individual, especially in modern times when the floodgates have been opened and many fan-produced projects are actually better than the real thing.

Personally, I hope they don’t make too many animated characters. As others have said, they don’t really fit in.

However, I would prefer this to anything from Enterprise or Discovery (the latter will be even more jarring than TAS characters). I would also prefer animated characters to DB-created fakes. Good art on an animated character might be preferable to bad art on a real-action one.

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-01-08
Dralix - 13 September 2017 02:22 PM

As it looks like, yes.

Do you also think that Kirk, Spock, and the others from TAS are 4 color, two dimensional beings?  And that TAS is set in some sort of parallel universe where everyone and everything is 4 color, 2D?

I’m responding only to your question about whether an Arex like Data001 posted would be canon.  To suggest it wouldn’t be would be to suggest that TAS is actually set in a cartoon universe.

Eh, I see what you’re saying, but I’m not sure that reasoning holds up.

Look at TAS as a depiction of those adventures. For instance, when I watch the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Star Wars: Rebels (which both include characters who have been in the live-action films), I don’t think: “Oh, these are animated characters, living in an animated universe.” Rather, I accept it as an animated depiction, or representation, of real-world characters.

Were one to take your supposition to its logical conclusion, one could argue that if they were to bring in characters from Star Trek novels, they should not have any substance at all in their depictions and the artwork should just be blank, because after all, “in canon” they only exist as words on a page. Yes, I realize that’s a ridiculous place to take all this, but I don’t think the general notion of that is really all that different than the point you are asserting above.

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2017-06-12
Data1001 - 13 September 2017 01:45 PM

Yeah, that’s been my one concern with bringing characters from TAS into the game. I really, really, really (x 1000) hope they go for a more realistic depiction of Arex, a la:

If they make him look more like this, I’m 100% on board. If they for some stupid reason go for a 2-dimensional cartoonish portrait, the results would be disastrous. I think a majority of people who said on the forums that they’d quit the game when Animated Series characters were added would actually warm up to the idea with a 3D real-life interpretation of them… but if not, those same people would be a lot more likely to leave in droves.

But what am I worried about? It’d be silly to think that DB would do such a thing. (Right? It’s silly, right…? Please tell me it’s silly.)

+1 But:

The new lizard looking Klingons count as canon, so why not…

Posted: 13 September 2017 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2016-11-29
Dralix - 13 September 2017 02:22 PM

As it looks like, yes.

Kirk and Spock are in TAS? Wasn’t even aware of that. My only concern is that mixing a cartoon with the other cards, that feels unnatural and doesn’t look good. And regarding to the 2-dimensional beings: TAS was clearly intended for a children audience, so I don’t expect that it touches problems on a same level than ie TNG does. Only because someone called it canon doesn’t mean I have to accept and love it. So that is another reason why I’m not interested. I guess it is fine and up to everyone what he is interested in and what not.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 11