NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 > 
Poll
Bug or statistical inevitability?
Bug (It’s happening to you, too.) 4
Statistical inevitability (It’s not happening to you, too.) 22
Total Votes: 26
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Is General Chang Not Getting His 25% Gauntlet Bonus Or Am I Just Unlucky?
Posted: 16 July 2017 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1155
Joined  2016-05-29

Self-explanatory thread. My General Chang has lost almost every match in this current Gauntlet. He hasn’t had more than one crit in any match, including the two that he’s won by the skin of his teeth. Bug or statistical inevitability?

Signature 

Fleet Recruitment Info: Attack of the Crohn’s
Advice Threads:
Riker’s Angels: Sito/Seska/Pazlar | Crew Dismissal Advice | Behold! Advice | #JusticeForGeordi

Posted: 16 July 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2763
Joined  2015-12-05

Do you think that character crit behaviours are coded independently for each character? Why?

If there’s misbehaviour, it should affect all the characters with 25% chance, not merely one of them.

Signature 

Minor contributor to the STT Wiki

Posted: 16 July 2017 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1679
Joined  2017-04-11

He’s just as likely to have 0 crits as 1 crit when he’s in a 3 skill round.

He’s most likely to have just 1 crit when he’s in a 2 skill round (although I thought you might have had 2 crits occasionally - also pretty likely).

I think you’ve just been unlucky.

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/66700/

1 skill round:
0 crits: 42%
1 crit: 42%
2 crits: 14%
3 crits: 2%

2 skill round:
0 crits: 18%
1 crit: 36%
2 crits: 30%
3 crits: 13%
4 crits: 3%
5 crits: <1%
6 crits: <1%

Signature 

Player from 06th April 2017 - 09th September 2017, now retired.

LLAP

Posted: 16 July 2017 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08

Option 3 - left him at home.

Travis S McClain - 16 July 2017 02:16 PM

My General Chang has lost almost every match in this current Gauntlet.

Vindicated.

Posted: 16 July 2017 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2016-08-07

He’s just gets too caught up in quoting Shakespearean tragedies mid-battle, and forgets to crit.

Signature 

Fleet Officer - Task Force April
Squadron Leader -  [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs

Posted: 16 July 2017 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1155
Joined  2016-05-29
Centurion Matt - 16 July 2017 02:49 PM

Do you think that character crit behaviours are coded independently for each character? Why?

If there’s misbehaviour, it should affect all the characters with 25% chance, not merely one of them.

We’ve seen individuals not get their bonuses in Galaxy Events from time to time, and since I know nothing about coding and since I started developing a persecution complex over these consistent failures, I started wondering.

(I’m not entirely sure myself just how legitimately I considered the possibility, incidentally. I’m prone to hyperbole when I’m being flippant.)

Signature 

Fleet Recruitment Info: Attack of the Crohn’s
Advice Threads:
Riker’s Angels: Sito/Seska/Pazlar | Crew Dismissal Advice | Behold! Advice | #JusticeForGeordi

Posted: 17 July 2017 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2763
Joined  2015-12-05
Travis S McClain - 16 July 2017 06:46 PM

We’ve seen individuals not get their bonuses in Galaxy Events from time to time, and since I know nothing about coding and since I started developing a persecution complex over these consistent failures, I started wondering.

Hmm, yes. But, remind me, in Galaxy Events it is the character bonus to be badly coded, not the trait bonus, isn’t it?

Just saying, this game contains loads of bugs - as we all know - but traits seem to be coded quite consistently. If one of Chang’s traits was badly coded in the Gauntlet, then it’s probably badly coded in Away Missions as well: if you want to make sure, try an away mission and see if he gets that away mission bonus wink

Travis S McClain - 16 July 2017 06:46 PM

(I’m not entirely sure myself just how legitimately I considered the possibility, incidentally. I’m prone to hyperbole when I’m being flippant.)

Well… most people who answered this thread don’t seem to have noticed much about Chang, so far.

Signature 

Minor contributor to the STT Wiki

Posted: 17 July 2017 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  176
Joined  2013-04-28

The “bug” is not Chang specific. It’the entire RNG that is either broken or rigged.

Posted: 17 July 2017 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2016-08-05

These Klingon gauntlets are rough. My Kahless with 45% crit chance (fresh and with only the level 96 item missing) got his ass kicked by a Nexus Kirk with 5% crit chance. I almost threw my tablet at a wall when that happened. I’ve had other impossible ass kickings happen to me as well during these Klingon gauntlet but that Kahless one was the most unbelievable.

Signature 

This is NOT spam!

Posted: 17 July 2017 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-28

guess who had 25% and who had 5% smile)

Image Attachments
duras.jpg

Posted: 17 July 2017 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  566
Joined  2016-07-07

Kahless is likely going to be a very frustrating character to use.  Locutus and Guinan are very powerful, mostly on the back of a really high min roll.  Kahless has a similar top-end roll, but his bottom roll is comparable to a lot of other characters.  With a higher crit chance, it makes for a super high variance card, probably leading to a lot of…fun…surprises when he hits his mins instead of his maxes.

Signature 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 17 July 2017 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2016-08-05
Peachtree Rex - 17 July 2017 11:32 AM

Kahless is likely going to be a very frustrating character to use.  Locutus and Guinan are very powerful, mostly on the back of a really high min roll.  Kahless has a similar top-end roll, but his bottom roll is comparable to a lot of other characters.  With a higher crit chance, it makes for a super high variance card, probably leading to a lot of…fun…surprises when he hits his mins instead of his maxes.

While I agree with this in theory, in my situation he had a 45% crit chance, got none while Kirk at 5% got 2.

Signature 

This is NOT spam!

Posted: 17 July 2017 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-07-07
CaptainUnderpants - 17 July 2017 12:47 PM

While I agree with this in theory, in my situation he had a 45% crit chance, got none while Kirk at 5% got 2.

Yes…that was exactly was my point.  He has high variance.

Signature 

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 17 July 2017 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-28
Peachtree Rex - 17 July 2017 12:49 PM

Have you invented a new math? High variance? High variance in/for what? He either has 45% chance to crit or he doesn’t! And he can’t have a high variance because he hasn’t got he’s own personal RNG algorithm.

Posted: 17 July 2017 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-07-07
She wants the… - 17 July 2017 01:25 PM

Have you invented a new math? High variance? High variance in/for what? He either has 45% chance to crit or he doesn’t! And he can’t have a high variance because he hasn’t got he’s own personal RNG algorithm.

Seriously?  This isn’t rocket science.  Not everything is about crit, even though it’s the only topic that anyone seems to obsess about.

His MAX score - His MIN score is very large.  He is similar to mirror plox in this regard.  His variance will be even higher because he has better traits than mirror phlox, so he will have higher than a 5% crit.  This means his scores will be very volatile, whereas with Phlox you just expect him to not crit and get excited on the off chance he does.

No, I’m not saying his numbers are calculated differently, only that the stats that he has will probably cause a lot more consternation.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2017 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1679
Joined  2017-04-11
She wants the… - 17 July 2017 01:25 PM

Variance as in a wide range of proficiency values from min to max.

Crit chance is always a set % chance per Gauntlet.

Signature 

Player from 06th April 2017 - 09th September 2017, now retired.

LLAP

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ Droid Emulators for Mac      Scotty ››