NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 > 
Starter Crew Revision?
Posted: 16 July 2017 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1155
Joined  2016-05-29

I remember I and numerous other players once upon a time opening standard pulls daily with our credits just in hopes of acquiring CMO Crusher, especially once “Ex Astris, Scientia” launched. I’d be curious to learn what’s up with this. When that glitch happened a few months ago that gave all of us our original starter crew again (with Enterprise-D Picard chosen for us from the captain Behold), it seemed unanimous that we all got the same ones, and that we had all had those same ones in the beginning:

Chief Engineer Torres
Desert Ezri Dax
Ensign Mayweather
Lt Sulu
Behold!: Promoted Sisko, Enterprise-D Picard, Captain Kirk

Plus, of course, Commander Spock from the compulsory Federation victory to complete the Prologue.

Like a lot of other players, I went ahead and set up to play Timelines through Steam so I could get in on the $9.99 starter pack (10 10x Premium pulls, etc.). And like every player, I had to go through the tedious tutorial before I could sign in with my actual account. When I completed it, though, I got a noticeably different set of crew members than the group named above. As you can see from the screenshot, this time the startup crew consisted of:

Seven in Blue
CMO Crusher
Lt Commander Data
Lt Sulu

Promoted Sisko [Even though it was a tutorial for a throwaway account, had to pick him!]

Plus, of course, the compulsory Commander Spock for completing the Prologue.

So…what’s up with this? Was the 1* starter crew universal? Is the 1/2 starter crew universal? Mind you, I don’t begrudge the new players who get a better leg up than I got. In fact, I would have encouraged it had I ever given it much thought. A stronger starting crew certainly should help with that, and drawing in—and keeping—new players is good for all of us. I had one friend who gave up very shortly after she started playing because it was so difficult to make any meaningful progress from the beginning.

I am curious, though!

Image Attachments
Tutorial_Basic_10x_Pull_Steam.jpg
 Signature 

Fleet Recruitment Info: Attack of the Crohn’s
Advice Threads:
Riker’s Angels: Sito/Seska/Pazlar | Crew Dismissal Advice | Behold! Advice | #JusticeForGeordi

Posted: 16 July 2017 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2017-04-02

Yep.  Did the same thing for the same reason tonight and got the same result.

Posted: 16 July 2017 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1679
Joined  2017-04-11

I played through the tutorial on Steam last night and got the exact same crew as you, so they must have improved the starter crew from the original 1* selection. I agree with you that it’s a good thing for new players.

Just to confirm, I got the following:

1/2 Seven in Blue
1/2 CMO Crusher
1/2 Lt Commander Data
1/1 Lt Sulu
1/2 Captain Kirk // 1/2 Enterprise-D Picard // 1/2 Promoted Sisko

1/1 Commander Spock (compulsory Federation victory in Prologue)

Signature 

Player from 06th April 2017 - 09th September 2017, now retired.

LLAP

Posted: 16 July 2017 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2016-12-01

Got the same crew mentioned here at the start of the week, almost posted and asked about it but wasn’t sure if this was old news or not. been a lot time since I ran the tutorial, had to because my device broke, bought a new one and encounter same.  I was most surprised that after this long there is still no option to log in with existing account at the start instead of having to play through. Thought they would have added a by pass long ago.

.. during the forced pick of Spock, before I hit the button I thought to myself “omg, how did I not pick A 3* over a 1* even back then ? How stupid was I ?”. (Then I couldn’t pick Krudge and realized I’m just stupid now. Pheew !)

Signature 

Yay Voyages !
Don’t nerf them or screw it up.
Please :D

Posted: 16 July 2017 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-07-15

I actually did this twice last night, because I didn’t type the correct email the first time. Same deal.

Also, got the reward for Hugh on both accounts.  I don’t recall which mission gave that.

Posted: 16 July 2017 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-29
Ernest Borg9 - 16 July 2017 08:39 AM

I actually did this twice last night, because I didn’t type the correct email the first time. Same deal.

Also, got the reward for Hugh on both accounts.  I don’t recall which mission gave that.

You did what, now?

Signature 

Advice Threads:
Riker’s Angels: Sito/Seska/Pazlar | Crew Dismissal Advice | Behold! Advice | #JusticeForGeordi

Posted: 16 July 2017 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2017-03-27

You get Hugh when you get one of those early level ups that happen during the intro sequence before you can log in with an established account. Maybe when you get to level 4?

Signature 

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam

Posted: 16 July 2017 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-07-15

Yes, when you log into Steam for the first time, you do a couple of prologue missions.  You have to complete that before you even get to an option to bind your mobile / facebook account.  So, I finished it, got the crew listed above, and one of the early quests gives you 1/3 Hugh.

I decided to keep the account as a Free To Play account, but typed in a key wrong for my email address.  So, it wasn’t valid.  I used the option in the Settings where you change accounts, to “reset” my account.  I had to do the prologue again, with the exact same crew results.

My original account that I had been playing since January gave an early 5* to me.  I thought that was how the game was set up.  So that every player starts with a random 1/5 crew.  But, the steam version did not give me one.  I have a 1/4 Super Rare though.

Has anyone else that started on steam gotten an early Legendary?  And, did other players that played mobile / facebook versions start with an early Legendary?

Posted: 16 July 2017 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2016-10-12

For those starting a tutorial account on steam. Register that account on an alternate email, save the login details, and leave the account alone for a bit.
I did this back in August, forgot about the account. Found the log-in information in my desk. Opened the account and found 6k in sorrytons. Cant transfer to your main, but if you ever want to play the new way (much easier),  this is a great way to start.

Signature 

Admiral Spear of Per Audacia Ad Astra

Posted: 16 July 2017 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-29
Female Vulcan Q - 16 July 2017 03:51 PM

You get Hugh when you get one of those early level ups that happen during the intro sequence before you can log in with an established account. Maybe when you get to level 4?

Huh. I would think I’d have noticed getting Hugh, and I was able to log in with my established account after completing the Prologue. It’s possible I was just unobservant, but that seems like a conspicuous enough thing I should have seen. Weird.

Signature 

Advice Threads:

Posted: 16 July 2017 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2017-01-16
Female Vulcan Q - 16 July 2017 03:51 PM

Yes, this is what happened to me. I got Hugh when I reached captain level 4.

Posted: 17 July 2017 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2017-01-15

Thanks for making me feel like I’ve been playing this game forever and a day.  When I first downloaded it, the “captain behold” gave me the option of 5* Sisko, 4* Janeway or 5* Picard.

Posted: 17 July 2017 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-29
JHBennett - 17 July 2017 12:26 AM

Thanks for making me feel like I’ve been playing this game forever and a day.  When I first downloaded it, the “captain behold” gave me the option of 5* Sisko, 4* Janeway or 5* Picard.

Okay, I may not resent the players who came after me getting 1/2’s instead of 1*‘s to start, but now I retroactively resent all you who came before me and got *that* Behold! Although, there’s no way I could have made nearly as much progress having to equip Captain Sisko from the beginning as opposed to Promoted Sisko, so it’s probably for the best that they changed that.

But still…!

Signature 

Advice Threads:

Posted: 17 July 2017 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
STT Command
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3840
Joined  2013-05-15

The starter crew was changed some time ago - I believe several months ago. We took a look at the starter crew and decided they weren’t exciting enough, so we revised their contents to feature more iconic crew.

I believe this was last revised in March or April of 2017.

Signature 

Nod
Product Manager, Star Trek Timelines

Posted: 17 July 2017 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-05-29
Nod - 17 July 2017 12:59 PM

The starter crew was changed some time ago - I believe several months ago. We took a look at the starter crew and decided they weren’t exciting enough, so we revised their contents to feature more iconic crew.

I believe this was last revised in March or April of 2017.

I’d say the revisions were pretty solid choices! (Though I take exception to the insinuation that there’s something disappointing about Desert Ezri Dax.)

Signature 

Advice Threads:

Posted: 18 July 2017 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2017-01-15
Travis S McClain - 17 July 2017 02:38 AM
JHBennett - 17 July 2017 12:26 AM

Okay, I may not resent the players who came after me getting 1/2’s instead of 1*‘s to start, but now I retroactively resent all you who came before me and got *that* Behold! Although, there’s no way I could have made nearly as much progress having to equip Captain Sisko from the beginning as opposed to Promoted Sisko, so it’s probably for the best that they changed that.

But still…!

Yeah…I went with Captain Sisko (in retrospect, probably a good choice.  I’ve FF’d Janeway and airlocked enough duplicates to FF her twice….and Picard is decently hard to level, especially for what would’ve been a new player), and he was stuck at level 20 for quite a while

1 2 > 
1 of 2