1 2 > 
F2P Player’s View of STT One Year Later
Posted: 18 May 2017 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2017-02-27

F2P Player’s View of STT One Year Later

Hello everyone! My name is Kooz, and I am a proud VIP0 player of this game we all (most of the time) enjoy.  I have decided to reflect back on my year of playing this game.  This includes the good moments and the bad.

This is (I think?) my first thread on these forums that wasn’t a reply to someone else.  I frankly do not usually enjoy participating in these kind of places for the most part.  I find online threads combative and populated by people who are not positive enough for me to share in civil conversation with. 
Over the last year, the main reason I come to these forums is for information.  I check it on Wednesday for information on upcoming events and really that’s it.  I may also scroll a little to see if there is anything interesting discussed in other threads.  I hope this post is constructive and can be viewed as a different point of view that is common on these forums.

First, I want to discuss why I am F2P.  Am I F2P because I don’t have money?  No.  I have a successful job that pays well.  Could I buy Dil to make this game easier?  Sure.  I enjoy a challenge.  I grew up playing old Nintendo games like Battletoads or Mega Man.  Games that are difficult compared to today’s standard.  While some may argue that F2P gamers are freeloaders, I disagree.  DB gets a daily active user who watches ads on a regular basis.  They make revenue off the ad views and statistics I bring while playing. 

Recently, I was fortunate enough to find other F2P-ers on this forum and joined a fleet of like-minded individuals who are fun, kind, and helpful.  The F2P League has contributed to my growth as a player in this game, and I am thankful for letting me join their group.
What are some of my greatest experiences while playing this game?  Being an RNG based game, everything is for the most part at the whim of luck or chance. 

The top three best moments for me are as follows:

1) Fully fusing my first 4* character (Mirror Garak) who was a version of my favorite character.  I received a partially fused ¾ from an event and then worked very hard to complete the episode where you can choose Garak as your reward.  This moment felt so validating and kept me playing even when I was struggling to justify the time and effort it took to play on a daily basis.
2) My first behold when I received Mobile Doctor.  I literally gasped when this happened.  The Doctor was my second favorite character and I had read at the time that he was one of, if not the best medical character in the game.  My medical crew was lacking and I could not believe the ‘gift’ I had received.  For the longest time, Mobile Doc was the best character I had in the whole game, and may still be.  Especially after getting…
3) A second star on my Mobile Doctor from Dabo!  For months I would do one Dabo spin daily which is all that is allowed for someone without Dil.  At the time, I had never received anything of real value.  Maybe some equipment from the bottom row or some schematics on the middle row.  This was another moment where I gasped out loud when the roll was completed and showed a claimed top row character.  I didn’t think it was possible for a lowly F2P-er to win a top row character from Dabo.  I was filled with such excitement that I nearly cried.  The fact that playing this game every day for months finally provided advancement was enough to keep me playing.

These three moments characterize my experiences playing this game.  Hard work in overcoming challenges, random luck, and perseverance.  I am now at a point playing this game, that all episodes are finished, receiving a behold isn’t as exciting, perseverance is now feeling more like a chore.  A vault to save fully fused characters makes my 50 slot inventory more manageable.  A gauntlet to pit my crew against others is exciting.  A year later, and the game has improved greatly, but the drive to play harder is waning. 

While these improvements are great, I don’t have the sense of excitement when I get a behold or work to complete a hard level that has been taking me weeks to beat. 

I feel like the player base and creators have developed a sense of complacency to the game, myself included.  Some players have pointed out the need for improvements or transparency in the game through forum posts or the “DB: DO BETTER” movement, but I haven’t seen much change outside a fresh coat of paint.  The app looks cleaner and more ‘modern’, but where is the new gameplay mechanics to keep me interested in playing?

The current Borg event has been fun, but the strain on the developer to keep it interesting is showing.  Redundant rewards from just last week is unfortunate to see.  I am still collecting cadets and would have enjoyed seeing someone such as Persis as a two-star reward.  Hugh as a 3* reward is also unfortunate since he’s the current monthly reward. 

Maybe create new 2 or 3 star characters to keep things interesting? I know these and other similar frustrations have already been expressed on the forums, but please understand that some people (new players/budget restrained/busy schedule) may not be able to meet the same reward tier as you and to see that they wouldn’t get a character of value is discouraging and may lead them to quit the game altogether.  DB should be trying to grow their player-base.

I hope these experiences present a different view for players who may not have similar opinions.  I do enjoy playing the game daily, but like others, feel that there are always room for improvements.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.  I look forward to hearing other player’s thoughts on my experiences. 
LLAP

I am sorry you had an issue trying to format and post this thread, I took the liberty to try to help by editing it smile ˜Shan

Signature 

F2P 4 Life

Posted: 18 May 2017 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-02-27

Pardon the formatting, but the site keeps telling me this is spam when I insert linebreaks

Signature 

F2P 4 Life

Posted: 18 May 2017 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2017-03-29

This is a great post and I definitely share in some of those experiences.  I start as F2P for many months and that is pretty much how my experience went.  The rarity of certain things makes them pretty exciting when you get them (like the elusive shiny pokemon that I still have never caught despite hundreds of poke-hours).  I started doing monthly cards and occasionally getting dilithium for packs I really wanted and that is a different game in some ways, though I think equally fun.

Signature 

Solidarity with fellow players urging DB to Do Better.  Thank you Shan and DB for recent notable improvements in communication and gameplay.

Posted: 18 May 2017 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2017-04-11

Great post.

I agree with everything you said and particularly like how you pointed out possible improvements (e.g. avoiding things like the 2* and 3* reward duplication for the current event) in a constructive and non-combative tone.

Hopefully you post on here more often.

Signature 

My 4* & 5* Crew/Ship collection is in my Bio
Gauntlet Crew Top 10s / ‘First to Max’ list
Noobs of the Delta Quadrant [NDQ] fleet member - Delta Flyer Noobs squadron
Started playing: 06th Apr 2017

Posted: 18 May 2017 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1287
Joined  2016-03-30

Very well said, and thanks for posting!

You raise an interesting question that I’ve been thinking about more and more lately - if not for the weekly events, what would your goal in this game be? What would keep you playing?

I’ve already finished and vaulted every 1* except for Stargazer, almost all of the 2*s and all of the 3*s that I like (cough cough Vash), and each week I chip away a little at my to-do list before finding out who next week’s event characters are.

Yesterday I finally got Arik up to level 100, and hopefully this event will let me get him up to 4/4 - but would I have just airlocked him otherwise, when he was languishing at 2/4/10 or so?

Before Arik, I was working on Borg Queen and finally got her up to 2/5/100, and she is now my top CMD - but after this Borg cycle is over when will we need her again? I did get Drone Seven up to 4/4/80, but again when will we need her again once the Borg cycle is over?

Now that we know next week is Janeway and Picard, I’ve gone through and found several of them I could in theory work on - Coffee Janeway needs a few more items, and I have 1/5 Admiral and Agent Janeways languishing and Dixon at 3/4/level 1. Should I try to work on all four of them, just to use them in a three day expedition and then not touch them again?

Without the ticking clock of the random event characters you “have” to level each week - what would you be working on instead?

Posted: 18 May 2017 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2016-12-28
Kooz - 18 May 2017 08:55 AM

I frankly do not usually enjoy participating in these kind of places for the most part.  I find online threads combative and populated by people who are not positive enough for me to share in civil conversation with.

Thanks for braving the wilds and bringing your perspective to conversation. It’s my hope that more Captains from the Silent Majority, will speak up and help advocate for change in an effective, positive and civil way. Perhaps even helping to emphasize the constructive part of constructive criticism.

Signature 

We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
Consider participating in civil discourse and supporting the creation of a 5* USS Defiant Refit/USS São Paulo (NCC-75633) and 2* USS Valiant (NCC-74210)

Posted: 18 May 2017 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  701
Joined  2016-06-18
das411 - 18 May 2017 04:15 PM

You raise an interesting question that I’ve been thinking about more and more lately - if not for the weekly events, what would your goal in this game be? What would keep you playing?

Apparently nothing. I’ve had no interest in the last 3 events and stopped logging in after about 4 days of collecting daily reward and spinning the dabo.

I’ll keep an eye out for events with crew that I actually would like to have, or for an announcement that the crew slot issue is appropriately resolved. Without either of those occurring, there is nothing here that retains my interest.

Not even finishing my poor neglected 3/4 Gorn Captain.

Signature 

- G O R N
D I L I T H I U M   C A U S E S   C A N C E R

Posted: 18 May 2017 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2016-04-29
G O R N - 18 May 2017 04:19 PM

Apparently nothing. I’ve had no interest in the last 3 events and stopped logging in after about 4 days of collecting daily reward and spinning the dabo.

I’ll keep an eye out for events with crew that I actually would like to have, or for an announcement that the crew slot issue is appropriately resolved. Without either of those occurring, there is nothing here that retains my interest.

Not even finishing my poor neglected 3/4 Gorn Captain.

Ahhh… sounds like you’ve burned out, GORN. I’ve been where you are, three times now in fact. Each time, something brought me back from the brink—the introduction of Galaxy Events (1st), the introduction of fleets/squadron rewards in events (2nd), and the two-week use of Warp 1 for all (3rd).

My fleet makes the STT experience more enjoyable (aka, less frustrating). And this Borg mega-event is providing me with lots of new crew to fill the last holes in my roster, which I’m happy about.

So… I’m just having fun with it, these days. Leveling chars here and there, interacting with my fleetmates. Getting some sense of accomplishment out of all the hours I’ve put into this app so far. I think, at the end of the day, that’s what counts.

Signature 

Member of THE F2P LEAGUENow recruiting.
Looking for Lvl 35+, VIP 0 players to welcome into the fleet. Resistance is Futile.

To DB: Today is a good day to Do Better.

Posted: 19 May 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  701
Joined  2016-06-18
Lock-N-Load - 18 May 2017 06:12 PM

Ahhh… sounds like you’ve burned out, GORN. I’ve been where you are, three times now in fact. Each time, something brought me back from the brink… I’m just having fun with it, these days. Leveling chars here and there, interacting with my fleetmates. Getting some sense of accomplishment out of all the hours I’ve put into this app so far. I think, at the end of the day, that’s what counts.

Much truth in this post. I’ve been down this road with a variety of games. Some draw me back, others not.

Signature 

- G O R N
D I L I T H I U M   C A U S E S   C A N C E R

Posted: 19 May 2017 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  719
Joined  2017-01-08
G O R N - 19 May 2017 02:49 PM
Lock-N-Load - 18 May 2017 06:12 PM

Ahhh… sounds like you’ve burned out, GORN. I’ve been where you are, three times now in fact. Each time, something brought me back from the brink… I’m just having fun with it, these days. Leveling chars here and there, interacting with my fleetmates. Getting some sense of accomplishment out of all the hours I’ve put into this app so far. I think, at the end of the day, that’s what counts.

Much truth in this post. I’ve been down this road with a variety of games. Some draw me back, others not.

I expect this will happen with me someday, as well. I’ve had several games that have drawn me into their world so fully that I barely do anything else with my free time, and spent hours on the forums (ahem), then some months later have lost interest and given up without any sense of loss or inner conflict about having done so.

I suspect STT will keep me around a bit longer than most other games, though, as I think the progression towards a goal or milestone that I want to reach will entice me to keep playing at least until such a point is reached. But I can definitely see that once you’ve gotten to a certain level (speaking generically, not referring to any in-game levels), things may not hold the same excitement and enjoyment that they once did. When the thrill of the chase, as it were, is no longer a driving force.

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 22 May 2017 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-02-27

Sorry I haven’t replied back.  I only check this site at work on my computer and it’s been a busy couple days.  Thank you everyone for replying.  Everyone has been very supportive!

Signature 

F2P 4 Life

Posted: 22 May 2017 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-02-27

if not for the weekly events, what would your goal in this game be? What would keep you playing?

That kind of goes with my point of the post.  Where are the new advancements?  New episodes?  The weekly events get me to log in, fab equipment for new characters, prep for next event or just do the daily rewards, but the need to keep working at the game to improve my crew is becoming mundane or even boring.

Before Arik, I was working on Borg Queen and finally got her up to 2/5/100, and she is now my top CMD - but after this Borg cycle is over when will we need her again? I did get Drone Seven up to 4/4/80, but again when will we need her again once the Borg cycle is over?

I disagree.  I was weakest at command before this event and now I will have a sold 4/5 command character to help finish getting my factions honored or provide needed command support in faction events.  The 4/4’s I’ve gotten from the event (drone 7, soran, and now arik) are some of my strongest crew which when they were featured previously, I was not strong enough to achieve.  I appreciate that DP gave us the opportunity to collect these characters.

Signature 

F2P 4 Life

Posted: 22 May 2017 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-02-27

Should I try to work on all four of them, just to use them in a three day expedition and then not touch them again?

I’ve spent my free time this week leveling my torres and hugh to 100 to use next week.  I look forward to a chance to get a gold Janeway next week. 

Without the ticking clock of the random event characters you “have” to level each week - what would you be working on instead?

Basically, every week I prep for the next event.  My love of all things Star Trek keeps me interested in the game and being involved in future events.  I really would just love more single player story campaigns tho.  An episode 8 or even another distress call would be appreciated.

Here’s hoping for more improvements and new content throughout the remainder of 2017!

Signature 

F2P 4 Life

Posted: 22 May 2017 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2017-02-10

I tried to play F2P on Facebook. This was, of course, after I’d had the iOS version for over a month and had put a little money into it. I was so insanely bored by having to complete missions manually that I broke down and bought one monthly dilithium package just to get to VIP 1 and enable Warp.

I honestly can’t imagine someone doing this for an entire year without Warp 1. Especially in Galaxy events. Kudos to you, with my respect.

Posted: 22 May 2017 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2017-02-27
GhostStalker - 22 May 2017 11:31 AM

I tried to play F2P on Facebook. This was, of course, after I’d had the iOS version for over a month and had put a little money into it. I was so insanely bored by having to complete missions manually that I broke down and bought one monthly dilithium package just to get to VIP 1 and enable Warp.

I honestly can’t imagine someone doing this for an entire year without Warp 1. Especially in Galaxy events. Kudos to you, with my respect.

It definitely takes some patience.  After a while, it’s just how the game is in my head.  Lots of tapping.  DB let everyone have warp for a week a while back and the game just didn’t feel like a game anymore.  With warp, it just feels like a slot machine which definitely changes the core gameplay IMO.  I can definitely understand how some people can put tons of money into this game and making the jump from F2P, to a monthly card, to buying packs can be a slippery slope I don’t want to go down.  I’m very happy with the gameplay as it is.

Signature 

F2P 4 Life

Posted: 22 May 2017 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2017-02-10
Kooz - 22 May 2017 11:38 AM
GhostStalker - 22 May 2017 11:31 AM

It definitely takes some patience.  After a while, it’s just how the game is in my head.  Lots of tapping.  DB let everyone have warp for a week a while back and the game just didn’t feel like a game anymore.  With warp, it just feels like a slot machine which definitely changes the core gameplay IMO.  I can definitely understand how some people can put tons of money into this game and making the jump from F2P, to a monthly card, to buying packs can be a slippery slope I don’t want to go down.  I’m very happy with the gameplay as it is.

I’ll give you that. Relatively speaking, this is a VERY expensive game - and that’s when you’re already ignoring the OUTRAGEOUS sticker prices on purchasing characters in the faction stores. I mean, we’re talking about $10 USD worth of dilithium just to afford a single 10-pack pull, hoping to get a single item you’ll keep. So yea, it’s not something I do often. Most of my purchases on top of the monthly card are late-night impulse buys that I immediately regret. Luckily for me, it hasn’t happened THAT often. I can justify it in my head by saying I’ve spent about as much in 6 months as three or four nice dinners out where I picked up the check. And of course the characters I acquired lasted longer than the dinners, as well as my memories of them.

It’s silly, I know.

1 2 > 
1 of 2