< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
Rich Text Removal
Posted: 17 May 2017 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2015-10-04
Capt. Sorga Dirgo - 17 May 2017 11:53 AM

it does seem to be taking a sledgehammer to a more delicate problem.  Set some parameters, penalize those that don’t follow the rules. But don’t penalize the entire player base.

Right ! The </sup> command code which affects the leaderboard’s (especially if used twice or triple ) , Could be locked manually. .....
But DB locked all——>a bit misschiefed in my opinion

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14

certain features are awesome.  oversized text, line breaks, etc were real problems.

removing everything is an understandable stop gap.  the <> vs [] issue is something that should be resolved at the minimum.  without being able to sup my fleet tag at the end of my name, I would want to return to using t<G>e since I like the looks, t[G]e doesn’t have the same feel to it.

are there any plans to look at the whole system and options for names? or is the acceptable stop gap measure actually going to be the end of discussion? (which sucks)

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2017-01-07
Roonis - 17 May 2017 12:02 PM

certain features are awesome.  oversized text, line breaks, etc were real problems.

removing everything is an understandable stop gap.  the <> vs [] issue is something that should be resolved at the minimum.  without being able to sup my fleet tag at the end of my name, I would want to return to using t<G>e since I like the looks, t[G]e doesn’t have the same feel to it.

are there any plans to look at the whole system and options for names? or is the acceptable stop gap measure actually going to be the end of discussion? (which sucks)

Have you met DB?

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2016-10-12
Papinka - 17 May 2017 11:44 AM

I’m happy with this.  No offense but I didn’t really like seeing an enormous CAPTAIN HERPES (or something similar) in a gauntlet round. 

No issue with the name the captain I guess believes is creative.  But screaming it into my brain as I read it was a bit much.

Captain Herpes in hot pink. Im sure the player thought it was cute. But, I agree that it was annoying and a misuse of text.

Just goes to show that we can’t have nice things.

Thank you to DB, I did enjoy it while was active.

Signature 

Admiral Spear of Per Audacia Ad Astra

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2016-05-17

Surely there is a way to keep the coloured text and bold options etc. and just remove the ability to make the characters larger. I’m thoroughly disappointed with this decision. Being able to personalise your name is perhaps my favourite of all the features introduced into the game to date (despite it being unintentional). Take away the Gauntlet yawnfest but leave our colours alone!

Signature 

Admiral Fallon (TLA)

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2016-04-29

In the words of the great Doctor Pulaski (yeah, I said it smile ):
“Isn’t that a lot like curing the disease by killing the patient?”

Signature 

Leader of THE F2P LEAGUE. F2P FTW!
To DB: Today is a good day to Do Better.

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  440
Joined  2015-09-25

@Shan May I suggest as a related feature request that you allow fleet leaders to specify a fleet tag that gets appended to all fleet members’ display names?

It would be very nice if we could get back the ability to use colours in our names. The other formatting I could take or leave, tbh.

Signature 

Fleet member - Quark’s Holosuite

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2016-09-27
Lock-N-Load - 17 May 2017 12:26 PM

In the words of the great Doctor Pulaski (yeah, I said it smile ):
“Isn’t that a lot like curing the disease by killing the patient?”

Yes! Having bold, italic, or colored font was fun. No needed to remove all coding,  just limit what is allowed.  Punishing everyone when anyone effs up definitely sucks for those of us who aren’t being obnoxious and disrespectful. “Killing the planet” is like a boot camp punishment, games should be fun.

Posted: 17 May 2017 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  408
Joined  2016-03-30

God help us if we have fun while playing a game, some people jeeezus.

Signature 

Fleet= Quark’s Holosuite

Posted: 17 May 2017 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  885
Joined  2016-05-01

I never used them myself. I can see why having markup in player names is a terrible idea and I’m surprised it lasted this long. That said, why not create a set of tags just for player names and publish them properly? Just give people simple things like colour tags, bold, italics, super/subscript, etc. And the ability for < and >.

These tags can be a lot shorter than the old ones so space limits aren’t as much of an issue. Something like

r[Red]r
b[Blue]b
y[Yellow]y
g[Green]g
o[Orange]o
*[Bold]*
/[Italic]/
s[Subscript]s
^[Superscript]^

Then you could combine them like b[*[[SR]]*]b /[r[Gilbert]r]/ and end up with something like

Signature 

Timelines Fanfic Crew Suggestions
List of missing crew traits

Posted: 17 May 2017 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2016-05-20
GilbertSmith - 17 May 2017 02:09 PM

I never used them myself. I can see why having markup in player names is a terrible idea and I’m surprised it lasted this long. That said, why not create a set of tags just for player names and publish them properly? Just give people simple things like colour tags, bold, italics, super/subscript, etc. And the ability for < and >.

These tags can be a lot shorter than the old ones so space limits aren’t as much of an issue. Something like…

That would be fun!

Posted: 17 May 2017 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1679
Joined  2017-04-11
Shan - 17 May 2017 11:09 AM

Greetings Captains,

We are removing the ability to use rich text in players, Fleet, and Squadron names. While the ability is fun to play with, the larger names are causing issues for other players. Thank you for your understanding.

LLAP
- The Star Trek Timelines Team

Thank you Shan! I’ve been hoping you’ll do this for a while now.

Frankly it made the leaderboards (and chat where it didn’t work) look a mess.

And before people blame DB for its removal, it’s the idiots who were abusing it that have ruined it for everyone, not DB.

Signature 

Player from 06th April 2017 - 09th September 2017, now retired.

LLAP

Posted: 17 May 2017 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2016-06-21

Greetings Captains,

We are removing the ability to use rich text in players, Fleet, and Squadron names. While the ability is fun to play with, the larger names are causing issues for other players. Thank you for your understanding.

LLAP

I just want to say this is not the way to do it…
names appear fine in Gauntlet leaderboards and unaffected by rich text why can you not just use the same format that GAUNTLET uses for the event leaderboards. The removal of rich text from the game is a step backwards in my opinion There is so many other things wrong in this game people would much rather see fixed such as putting Squad names in profiles and being able to see what members are in other fleets in fleet ui. people who are crying because of the clutter in the leader boards are irrelivent to the progression of the game though I do agree that banning /sub and /sup would keep people from blowing their name over a good portion of the leaderboard but to be honest there are captains who use more than one line in their name and do the same thing without using rich text. Your solution is not really a solution. Pleas consider fixing the leaderboard to only display one line per captain I find it hard to believe that would be such a hard task while knowing this was not an issue in Gauntlet. Modeling gauntlet leaderboard can fix this problem without the need to take such drastic actions.

Signature 

(’‘’‘W’‘’‘’)iZzа^^£
  ‘~^~’ ~~~~(DP)

Posted: 17 May 2017 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2016-08-30
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 17 May 2017 02:13 PM

Greetings Captains,

LLAP

Thank you Shan! I’ve been hoping you’ll do this for a while now.

Frankly it made the leaderboards (and chat where it didn’t work) look a mess.

And before people blame DB for its removal, it’s the idiots who were abusing it that have ruined it for everyone, not DB.

This, pretty much. Clown car leaderboards.

The bracket thing sounds annoying and inconvenient for fleets, though. Sorry for you guys who won’t have the same name and such :/

Signature 

—-
Blood from a stone DB, never again.
Need a good fleet with good people? Click here to check out mine!

Posted: 17 May 2017 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2016-05-03
[DB: Doing Better] NemoTheBlue - 17 May 2017 12:27 PM

@Shan May I suggest as a related feature request that you allow fleet leaders to specify a fleet tag that gets appended to all fleet members’ display names?

It would be very nice if we could get back the ability to use colours in our names. The other formatting I could take or leave, tbh.

This.

A fleet tag set by fhe fleet leader would be nice. And I miss having colour in my name.

It’s a simple enough matter to allow bold, italics and color but not size.

Definitely overkill for an issue caused by a very select few. In fact, I never personally saw it.

Signature 

Task Force April - Emperor and Overlord of Spaaaaace
April’s Aces - Brooding Lonely at the Top Command Officer

We’re looking for a few good lifeforms…

Visit our recruiting thread

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 5