NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 > 
Saturday Cadet Challenge: Adv. Certain Formality
Posted: 03 June 2017 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  781
Joined  2016-05-28
Dralix - 02 June 2017 03:04 PM

As to the photonic life forms from Voyager ... I’d rather not go too far down that path because I hate what Voyager did with, for example, sentient holograms working as slave laborers in mines.  I just don’t accept the concept of sentient holograms, despite enjoying the two Moriarty episodes of TNG.

How is a sentient hologram any different from Data?

The whole mining thing was a bit goofy although I thought they implied that the original EMH’s were not sentient and the Doctor achieved sentience since his program eventually became complex enough that he was sentient.

Signature 

VIP 6 - 115 Crew Slots - 222 Immortals

Posted: 03 June 2017 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2016-12-12
Ivanstone - 03 June 2017 01:34 PM
Dralix - 02 June 2017 03:04 PM

As to the photonic life forms from Voyager ... I’d rather not go too far down that path because I hate what Voyager did with, for example, sentient holograms working as slave laborers in mines.  I just don’t accept the concept of sentient holograms, despite enjoying the two Moriarty episodes of TNG.

The whole mining thing was a bit goofy although I thought they implied that the original EMH’s were not sentient and the Doctor achieved sentience since his program eventually became complex enough that he was sentient.

Based on the Miner ones, I believe they were all sentient, but were never left on long enough for it to be discovered other than his abrasive personality.

Posted: 03 June 2017 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  781
Joined  2016-05-28
Pallidyne - 03 June 2017 01:36 PM

Based on the Miner ones, I believe they were all sentient, but were never left on long enough for it to be discovered other than his abrasive personality.

Maybe but in early Voyager I still got the feeling that he was a complex program using pre-programmed reactions to outside stimuli and who’s personality was merely an approximation of Zimmerman’s. Since the program was self-learning it forced itself to change with the help of Kes. Its possible he might not have achieved sentience till much later when he had to resolve the programming glitch created by the death of Ensign Jetal.

The mining EMH’s likely had not had anything comparable happen to them in their life span.

Signature 

VIP 6 - 115 Crew Slots - 222 Immortals

Posted: 03 June 2017 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08

Data is a remarkable feat of engineering that only one person was able to accomplish. Data himself was unable to recreate Soong’s success. Presumably, it couldn’t be recreated by replicator either.

Sentient holograms are portrayed as programs that can be pretty easily modified or copied.

I think that cheapens what they established with Data and his kin, and even in the parameters of the Trek universe, it stretches my believability.

So while I can accept Data, or decompiling people into atoms and reassembling them, I can’t accept sitting at a panel and coding a person. Maybe I’d be more accepting if I didn’t think they took the concept to ridiculous levels. That’s probably prejudicing me.

Posted: 04 June 2017 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1679
Joined  2017-04-11
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 02 June 2017 07:47 AM
Peachtree Rex - 02 June 2017 07:26 AM
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 02 June 2017 07:08 AM

Can anyone confirm if Holodeck 3 Dr. Brahms qualifies for the Sunday Adv: United Federation cadet challenge? (possible because she’s a Hologram which might count as alien/part alien).

An old spreadsheet I’m using lists here as being eligible, but the wiki does not (I think) so I’m thinking my spreadsheet is wrong as I’ve always found the wiki to be pretty accurate, but I wanted to check on here for confirmation.

Thanks

Yes, I believe she does qualify.  Note that Augments (Bashir, Persis) also qualify for UF.

Thank you! I’ll add her to the Adv: United Federation page on the wiki if I can figure out how.

Edit: Looks like someone’s already added her but hidden until it can be confirmed she’s eligible. I’ll try and remember to check on Sunday.

Just as a follow up to this, I have remembered to check today and can confirm that Holodeck 3 Dr. Brahms is not eligible for today’s Adv: United Federation Cadet Challenge.

Signature 

Player from 06th April 2017 - 09th September 2017, now retired.

LLAP

Posted: 04 June 2017 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2016-05-11

Has something changed? Captain Kasidy Yates was ineligible for today’s cadet missions. She has the Bajoran trait so what gives?

Posted: 04 June 2017 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-04-11
WOLF 359 - 04 June 2017 01:53 PM

Has something changed? Captain Kasidy Yates was ineligible for today’s cadet missions. She has the Bajoran trait so what gives?

She’s human.

I know she has the Bajoran trait, but that’s through her close links to the Bajorans rather than being a Bajoran or part Bajoran.

2* Promoted Sisko also has the Bajoran trait for instance.

Signature 

LLAP

Posted: 04 June 2017 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2016-05-11
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 04 June 2017 02:28 PM

She’s human.

I know she has the Bajoran trait, but that’s through her close links to the Bajorans rather than being a Bajoran or part Bajoran.

Makes sense but that sucks, I made the assumption she qualified because she has the Bajoran trait.

Posted: 04 June 2017 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-04-11
WOLF 359 - 04 June 2017 02:31 PM
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 04 June 2017 02:28 PM

She’s human.

Makes sense but that sucks, I made the assumption she qualified because she has the Bajoran trait.

Yeah, I hope it didn’t cost you any rewards although it makes sense like you said.

I’ve thought of another example: Constable Odo has the Cardassian trait through his links with the Cardassians but he is a Changeling.

Signature 

LLAP

Posted: 06 June 2017 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-04-11

I’ve decided to swap Third Remata’klan out for Constable Odo instead.

I know Third has a better range of values but Odo is still more than enough to crit the nodes plus he’s an event character and has more useful traits.

Image Attachments
cadets.png
 Signature 

LLAP

Posted: 06 June 2017 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  2016-01-30
Dralix - 03 June 2017 02:33 PM

Data is a remarkable feat of engineering that only one person was able to accomplish. Data himself was unable to recreate Soong’s success. Presumably, it couldn’t be recreated by replicator either.

Sentient holograms are portrayed as programs that can be pretty easily modified or copied.

I think that cheapens what they established with Data and his kin, and even in the parameters of the Trek universe, it stretches my believability.

So while I can accept Data, or decompiling people into atoms and reassembling them, I can’t accept sitting at a panel and coding a person. Maybe I’d be more accepting if I didn’t think they took the concept to ridiculous levels. That’s probably prejudicing me.

I also had a problem with how Voyager handled that. They told us that the Doc unique situation gave rise to his sentience then in the final season there were 3 different holograph rights episodes plus the one from season four (Revulsion) that basically said, its not that unique. Sentient holograms are everywhere. Plus sentient missiles. (Warhead)
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Revulsion_(episode)
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warhead_(episode)

It was basically a retcon and left the massive question why is there still only one Data if you don’t even need the daunting positronic brain to create a sentient artificial life form.

Posted: 06 June 2017 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  408
Joined  2016-12-16
South of Sulu - 06 June 2017 03:42 PM
Dralix - 03 June 2017 02:33 PM

I also had a problem with how Voyager handled that. They told us that the Doc unique situation gave rise to his sentience then in the final season there were 3 different holograph rights episodes plus the one from season four (Revulsion) that basically said, its not that unique. Sentient holograms are everywhere. Plus sentient missiles. (Warhead)
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Revulsion_(episode)
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warhead_(episode)

It was basically a retcon and left the massive question why is there still only one Data if you don’t even need the daunting positronic brain to create a sentient artificial life form.

TNG was guilty of the same thing in the episode “the quality of life.” I’d be surprised not there weren’t other examples.

Posted: 08 June 2017 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1456
Joined  2016-03-30
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 06 June 2017 12:15 PM

I know Third has a better range of values but Odo is still more than enough to crit the nodes plus he’s an event character and has more useful traits.

i just came on here to look for EXACTLY this info, many thanks for putting it all together even if this does mean i need to unfreeze Lwaxana!

Posted: 08 June 2017 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-04-11
das411 - 08 June 2017 01:23 PM
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 06 June 2017 12:15 PM

i just came on here to look for EXACTLY this info, many thanks for putting it all together even if this does mean i need to unfreeze Lwaxana!

You’re very welcome das, glad I could help smile

Signature 

LLAP

Posted: 21 June 2017 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2017-02-07

@[NDQ] A Blues fan, you indicate in OP that for Security to use Pvt Money and a male alien.  In another thread, though, someone said that B’Etor Duras will suffice for all the necessary rolls.  I’m not sure if that means rare rewards or simply passing, as I’ve never leveled her and already 3-starred all the weekend epic missions.  Worth looking into, though.  Anyone know definitively?

‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 > 
5 of 7