NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
Saturday Cadet Challenge: Adv. Certain Formality
Posted: 02 June 2017 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1679
Joined  2017-04-11
Dralix - 02 June 2017 01:26 PM
p377y7h33f - 02 June 2017 01:19 PM
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 02 June 2017 06:52 AM

Here are the Female 3* crew in the game:

Ensign Vorik

lol, i suspected as much.

Vorik and Selar are the same person, right?

But it goes along with this one ...

garner - 02 June 2017 06:43 AM

And the human males 3* are really worthless now unless they are strong at one stat for shuttles, like Boxer & Money.

Thanks for the spot - that explains why Expedition Vash wasn’t on the list at one point (must have ticked Vorik’s row instead of Vash’s on my spreadsheet). I caught Vash myself but didn’t think to check the rows above and below her.

I’ll go back and correct those posts.

Signature 

Player from 06th April 2017 - 09th September 2017, now retired.

LLAP

Posted: 02 June 2017 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-04-11
[DoBetter] [NDQ] Joker41NAM - 02 June 2017 01:13 PM

I believe this first came up (and had a bit argument) back when the Augments were made usable.

My personal guess on DB’s thinking:  a hologram with a human form is different than a human who is not “pure strain” (some of their modifications may have been “borrowed” from aliens, though that obviously doesn’t apply to Khan-era Augments).

Yeah, I think if they consider Augments to be alien/part alien I guess they mean anything not ‘100% natural human’ which means there’s an argument for Holograms that take human form to count as ‘part alien’.

Personally I don’t think Augments should count towards it but DB make the rules smile

Signature 

LLAP

Posted: 02 June 2017 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2016-12-08
sorinev - 02 June 2017 01:36 PM
Dralix - 02 June 2017 01:26 PM

Vorik and Selar are the same person, right?

Not sure if serious

Not serious.

Posted: 02 June 2017 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1087
Joined  2016-04-13
[NDQ] A Blues fan - 02 June 2017 01:47 PM

Yeah, I think if they consider Augments to be alien/part alien I guess they mean anything not ‘100% natural human’ which means there’s an argument for Holograms that take human form to count as ‘part alien’.

Personally I don’t think Augments should count towards it but DB make the rules smile

Which is exactly why it’s complete nonsensical that human-shaped holograms don’t count. Between augments and holograms, if anything is not completely human, it’s a hologram. An augment is a human that just has tweaked DNA. A hologram is mostly just light! Come on.

Signature 

My crew spreadsheet
226 Level 100 FE
192 Immortal

Posted: 02 June 2017 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-12-08
sorinev - 02 June 2017 02:10 PM

Which is exactly why it’s complete nonsensical that human-shaped holograms don’t count. Between augments and holograms, if anything is not completely human, it’s a hologram. An augment is a human that just has tweaked DNA. A hologram is mostly just light! Come on.

And I think it’s complete nonsense that either qualify.  The qualification is alien or part-alien.  A human who was genetically engineered without non-human DNA, like Bashir, is not part alien.  Likewise, light is not alien.

Posted: 02 June 2017 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-04-13
Dralix - 02 June 2017 02:34 PM

And I think it’s complete nonsense that either qualify.  The qualification is alien or part-alien.  A human who was genetically engineered without non-human DNA, like Bashir, is not part alien.  Likewise, light is not alien.

There was an episode of Voyager where there were photonic lifeforms. Not just holograms created by a biological species, but wholly separate lifeforms that existed independently. Unless we want to split hairs regarding natural photonics and artificial photonics. The former is an actual lifeform, and therefore alien. While I don’t like it, I could accept that the latter would not count as alien. Despite that they seem to be walking around and existing without holoemitters in this game.

Signature 

My crew spreadsheet
226 Level 100 FE
192 Immortal

Posted: 02 June 2017 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-12-08
sorinev - 02 June 2017 02:42 PM
Dralix - 02 June 2017 02:34 PM

There was an episode of Voyager where there were photonic lifeforms. Not just holograms created by a biological species, but wholly separate lifeforms that existed independently. Unless we want to split hairs regarding natural photonics and artificial photonics. The former is an actual lifeform, and therefore alien. While I don’t like it, I could accept that the latter would not count as alien. Despite that they seem to be walking around and existing without holoemitters in this game.

Regarding walking around with emitters in game - suspension of disbelief.  It is a game after all.  Maybe they were all equipped with 29th century mobile emitters.  smile

As to the photonic life forms from Voyager ... I’d rather not go too far down that path because I hate what Voyager did with, for example, sentient holograms working as slave laborers in mines.  I just don’t accept the concept of sentient holograms, despite enjoying the two Moriarty episodes of TNG.

So I’m perfectly happy to split hairs and say that Holodeck Brahms is neither a photonic lifeform like from Beowulf, not a sentient hologram like The Doctor or Moriarty.  I’m also perfectly happy to be called out on it.

Posted: 02 June 2017 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-04-13
Dralix - 02 June 2017 03:04 PM

... I hate what Voyager did with, for example, sentient holograms working as slave laborers in mines.  I just don’t accept the concept of sentient holograms, despite enjoying the two Moriarty episodes of TNG.

My problem with it is that I find it really hard to believe that the Federation and Starfleet would even do such a thing in the first place (the mine working).

Signature 

My crew spreadsheet
226 Level 100 FE
192 Immortal

Posted: 02 June 2017 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-12-08

Enough about holograms - I think we can all agree that if exocomps are added, they would count as alien (artificial life forms).  But are there female exocomps?

Posted: 02 June 2017 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2017-02-13
Dralix - 02 June 2017 03:35 PM

Enough about holograms - I think we can all agree that if exocomps are added, they would count as alien (artificial life forms).  But are there female exocomps?

They’ll be alien females…and 4*‘s so they can’t be used for the challenges.  :p

Posted: 02 June 2017 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2016-12-28

In the Federation, wouldn’t every species (lifeform) count as being alien to any other species? Which from that perspective, would mean that Humans are aliens. So, I suggest that every lifeform is alien, and that we should recognize the whole notion that being non-human equals alien to be anthropocentric if not myopic.

In terms of the sentience of those lifeforms, I suggest: The Measure of a Man for reference.

Therefore… I think I’m going to eat pizza for dinner.

Signature 

We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
Consider participating in civil discourse, being like water, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.

Posted: 02 June 2017 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2015-05-03
sorinev - 02 June 2017 03:23 PM
Dralix - 02 June 2017 03:04 PM

... I hate what Voyager did with, for example, sentient holograms working as slave laborers in mines.  I just don’t accept the concept of sentient holograms, despite enjoying the two Moriarty episodes of TNG.

My problem with it is that I find it really hard to believe that the Federation and Starfleet would even do such a thing in the first place (the mine working).

I agree.  It felt wrong from the first time I saw them in that mine.

I guess you have to assume that no one talked to the holograms or looked into it at all and it was dangerous work and they were looking at them like tools or machines only.  But their ability to pass any kind of Turing test in 10 seconds of conversation makes it difficult to believe.

As to the other point - there will be sentient computers within 50 years - maybe much sooner.  Sentient holograms are no different.  The only tricky bit with them is the forcefields that allow them to touch things and seem solid. But I think this also is possible.

Posted: 02 June 2017 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14

I’m running Winn, Saavik, Torres, Crusher, Janeway in the hopes three secondary security crew will get the job done

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 03 June 2017 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2016-04-23

I’m gonna struggle with security when I get to epic in a few weeks (6 tickets/week - 2 tickets for 3* a mission with new system so 3 3*/week - so 5 weeks to 3* them all)
Hopefully by in 5 weeks the credits reward will be bigger for epic than normal, and the honour points I seem to recall were mentioned will be there
Edit - just looked at the 2.1.0 build notes - it says that epic rare rewards will include, “Honor, Supply Kits, and Premium 1x Packs.” - looking at them, they’re not there atm, probably not gonna matter today unless ppl use their tickets to get straight to epic instead of completing the normal 1st

Posted: 03 June 2017 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-04-11

People are populating the wiki with the Epic node required values and it appears Maquis Makeover Torres will actually not fail any so she’s safe to use on both Saturday and Sunday for Engineering!

Highest Eng required on Sat = 440 (Mission 3 Epic)
Highest Eng required on Sun = 500 (Mission 5 Epic)

Maquis Makeover Torres Eng = 506-610

Signature 

LLAP

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
4 of 7