1 2 3 > 
Poll
Do you find the gauntlet:
More fun 73
More annoying 46
Total Votes: 119
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Gauntlet poll - where is it on the fun / annoying RNG continuum for you?
Posted: 20 March 2017 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1926
Joined  2014-04-18

Just curious.  I frequently feel more annoyed by RNGauntlet than I feel entertained.

What about you?

Signature 

“Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ~ Jean Luc Picard / Kamin
Fleet = eXo, Formerly Unimatrix B4-0

Posted: 20 March 2017 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2016-04-05
Papinka - 20 March 2017 03:12 PM

Just curious.  I frequently feel more annoyed by RNGauntlet than I feel entertained.

What about you?

I play for merits, credits, and the occasional item/locutus. It helps that I have a 3/5 Locutus already. (2, and 1 from offer. I wasn’t offered the second time I won him.)

As long as I don’t care about ‘winning’ it, then it’s fine. I would rather be in the meh category. I did get annoyed to no end the first 2 weeks. Now… Just another click, click, click during the day.

Signature 

Andorian women are far more aggressive than Earth females. She made a… an overture. I had a choice - charge her with assaulting a superior or… mate with her.
I’d rather cohabit with Klingon targs than join forces with Tellarites!

My Immortals: 252

Posted: 20 March 2017 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  536
Joined  2016-07-07

If you’re getting annoyed with it, then you need to lower your expectations of it.

Think of it as a Dabo Wheel that you happen to get a LOT of credits and merits from.  If you’re thinking it’s a locutus-and-5*-Gear-producing-machine, then you’ll just be annoyed and disappointed.

Signature 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 20 March 2017 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14

Was 100% annoying until I just said, hey it’s all additional free stuff. 

Themed teams, bottom feeding, etc.  a lot of ways to make it more fun.

My only advice for the gauntlet, don’t take it serious or you will have an aneurysm

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 20 March 2017 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1444
Joined  2016-03-30

Agree with the above - if you don’t expect much beyond an extra stream of credits to help build gear, and merits to help buy items/unvault people, the gauntlet is actually quite useful.

but if you get on a run and start rolling and accidentally spend your way down from 1800 merits to 200 like I did the other day…not so much!

Posted: 20 March 2017 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2016-07-10

Agree with the above. As with anything in this game it’s all about managing your expectations.

I’ve posted elsewhere about the need to refine the prizegiving methodology. Moreso for streak rewards than the final ranked ones.

Posted: 20 March 2017 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  511
Joined  2016-06-17

I enjoy the gauntlet but can’t help but feeling let down whenever I open my final rewards (and while I have never finished even Top 5 in a Gauntlet I am consistently 10-20 place)

The next review for Gauntlet should definitely see everything bumped up a level (and probably multiplied by 10) (but merit payout is currently very good).  And those up to x* equipment crates/boxes/vaults should be at least x*.

Signature 

I said “Please”.

I am 7 of 4*.  We will assimilate 90 of you for your biological and technological distinctiveness.

Posted: 20 March 2017 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1636
Joined  2016-09-02

i find that the level of frustration is often related to how well i match the traits for a particular gauntlet. i’m finishing a DIP gauntlet with Ferengi, Merchant, Communicator tonight, and it has been nothing but an army of CD Quarks with 65% crit to fight. he destroys Nechayev in a CMD + DIP round with his eyes closed. although i’m ranking well in that gauntlet on all my accounts, i’m running out of merits trying to skip all the Quarks. with only GP Neelix and Sarek at 25% crit i can’t keep a good streak for nothing. my Nogs, Roms and CD Quarks have not been leveled yet, so i can barely make 10 trophies without a refresh most of the time. annoying, frustrating, and infuriating. when i do match all the traits though, i chew through opponents, keep a long streak going, and it’s kind of fun. so, yeah, varied experience.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 20 March 2017 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2016-11-24

It’s fun, either to put together streaks that award items and chrons or to come up with new and imaginative curses that insult distant relatives of the coder that programmed crit %.

Posted: 20 March 2017 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2017-03-12

I like it.  Sometimes I waste too many merits on a refresh, but for the most part, I think it’s pretty balanced. I don’t have super high expectations because I’ve only been playing about 3 weeks now.  Love this game overall.

Posted: 20 March 2017 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2016-05-20

I am just over on the side of finding it annoying, because the weighting towards defenders is so obnoxiously heavy it’s not uncommon to go down 1-2-3-4-5 and have no more Gauntlet to play, unless you’re bottom-feeding - and even then I frequently lose matches where it’s almost mathematically impossible to do so.

I like the idea, it’s definitely much better bang for your time than ship PvP, but it reminds me of those pinball machines where you could see wear patterns from the balls always got pulled to by overly-strong magnets.

Posted: 20 March 2017 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1926
Joined  2014-04-18

Lots of fair feedback here.  Truth is I don’t have expectations of the rewards.  But it irritates me to have crew members KO’d by crits from characters with lower stats and lower crit%.  Thus is the way with RNG though.

Signature 

“Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ~ Jean Luc Picard / Kamin
Fleet = eXo, Formerly Unimatrix B4-0

Posted: 20 March 2017 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1636
Joined  2016-09-02

geez, one of the gauntlet single basic pulls produced this behold. i am so torn. i’m thinking Sulan, but the other two are excellent at their respective gauntlet combos as well. yeah, Sulan it is.

Image Attachments
Screenshot_2017-03-20-17-12-49.png
 Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2016-07-17
Roonis - 20 March 2017 03:19 PM

Was 100% annoying until I just said, hey it’s all additional free stuff. 

Themed teams, bottom feeding, etc.  a lot of ways to make it more fun.

My only advice for the gauntlet, don’t take it serious or you will have an aneurysm

Got my aneurysm out of the way last week wink

Honestly, if it wasn’t for the beefed up merit rewards I wouldn’t even bother with this garbage feature. The constant stream of mainly blue trainers in the third box is a constant stream of….,.something else.

Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  704
Joined  2016-07-13

I like the Gauntlet on a ten Gauntlet win streak 3 locutus and a half dozen 5* items I’m loving it smile

Signature 

Posted: 20 March 2017 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  463
Joined  2015-08-18

More like boring - fun scale.

I just do it to mine, but I wouldn’t say I’m enjoying it.

It rates around clipping my nails or washing dishes.

Signature 

This Signature Is Not Approved By Disruptor Beam

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3

‹‹ 1* question      My first 100 Immortals ››