NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 3 >  Last ›
Poll
Which things?
Negativity bias 17
Pessimism 2
Sensationalism 5
This post specifically 22
All the things! 21
Total Votes: 67
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Very irritated about all the things
Posted: 09 March 2017 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2016-12-28

It seems to me that on this, and most forums, people tend to follow the the pattern being more interested in posts with sensational titles and participating more fully in the negatively focused threads, than they invest in solutions oriented discussions. As is unfortunately reflective of the world at large. Even when people do participate in discussions about solutions and ideas, many resort to a self full-filling pessimistic perspective.

Healthy skepticism and critical thinking are not replaced by, or analogous to, mere pessimism.

I also observe a lot of cynicism in terms of what people think are the reasons some things get done and others do not. Perhaps its my own miscalculation of optimism, but I tend to think there are probably many legitimate reasons for why things happen which could be discussed, before resorting to making some version of an ad-hominem accusation, false cause or straw man argument. These tend to just shut down discussion and dialog, so it’s ultimately ineffective.

So, what is the point of this post? Twofold, one I wanted to test to see if an indefinite and negative titled post would reel people in, and two, to basically ask the community at large if this is really the kind of community we want. If nothing else we should at least be able to calibrate and support any signal we are trying to push through the noise.

One of the things that I really like about Star Trek is that it has a far more utopian, or at least optimistic, view of the future than is portrayed elsewhere or indicated by the current state of things. One way, of many, that I think we can get there is by becoming more self aware and making more conscious choices about how we interact with each other and the things we co-create together. It seems plausible to me, perhaps foolishly so, that I’m not alone in observing that about Star Trek and perhaps we could take the opportunity to create a little bit of that brighter future here on the forums. In so doing, be more effective as a community in communicating what we’d like to see changed, improved and/or added to in Timelines.

Signature 

We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
Consider participating in civil discourse, being like water, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.

Posted: 10 March 2017 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  452
Joined  2016-04-17

So I took the time to respond to each point, and then when I went to post it was marked as spam and discarded.

You bet I’m beyond disappointed now.

Signature 

Minor contributor to the STT Wiki

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.

Posted: 10 March 2017 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2016-09-06

I’ve been coming here daily for 7 months.

I’d been playing the game for about 2 months before I got so hooked/invested I needed more by coming here.

I was initially shocked at the sheer amount of negativity I found here. I lurked for the most part and continued to play.

Then after a few months patterns began to emerge. It soon became quite clear that this place, this company… For every step forward two are taken backwards seemed to be it’s operating motto.

I chalked it up to everything being new, getting the kinks worked out.

Month later, the exact same mistakes are being made weekly. WEEKLY.

You can’t expect any community to maintain optimism in the face of those odds. Even the most loyal and respectful will eventually snap and get frustrated at the seemingly endless cycle of pros and cons.

I don’t like being a negative Nancy but at this point it seems like the only way to communicate the building frustration. This game has so much going for it… To see simple mistakes made regularly is very troubling. Leaves one worried that their focus has shifted to other projects and we’re on the back burner.

Posted: 10 March 2017 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2016-09-22
Xoiiku - 09 March 2017 11:34 PM

ask the community at large if this is really the kind of community we want. If nothing else we should at least be able to calibrate and support any signal we are trying to push through the noise.

To me, the community’s reactions and mood are to large extent a result. And the way the forum is currently treated by DB is imo just bad and “asks for” this result, only to ignore it. It appears that they
- do not care to share more info about what is going on,
- very rarely answer direct questions and
- generally are almost non-communicating (although this is more or less the only communication channel).

Xoiiku - 09 March 2017 11:34 PM

One of the things that I really like about Star Trek is that it has a far more utopian, or at least optimistic, view of the future than is portrayed elsewhere or indicated by the current state of things. [...] In so doing, be more effective as a community in communicating what we’d like to see changed, improved and/or added to in Timelines.

True. That is also one of the reasons, why I like ST. Unfortunately the business model of an online game is far too much focused on making money than on anything else. And that seems to stand in the way of conveying this utopia ingame and here.

Posted: 10 March 2017 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2016-03-31
Captain Mavius - 10 March 2017 02:20 AM

I’ve been coming here daily for 7 months.

I’d been playing the game for about 2 months before I got so hooked/invested I needed more by coming here.

I was initially shocked at the sheer amount of negativity I found here. I lurked for the most part and continued to play.

Then after a few months patterns began to emerge. It soon became quite clear that this place, this company… For every step forward two are taken backwards seemed to be it’s operating motto.

I chalked it up to everything being new, getting the kinks worked out.

Month later, the exact same mistakes are being made weekly. WEEKLY.

You can’t expect any community to maintain optimism in the face of those odds. Even the most loyal and respectful will eventually snap and get frustrated at the seemingly endless cycle of pros and cons.

I don’t like being a negative Nancy but at this point it seems like the only way to communicate the building frustration. This game has so much going for it… To see simple mistakes made regularly is very troubling. Leaves one worried that their focus has shifted to other projects and we’re on the back burner.

Well said. I agree.  And I have been playing for over a year which makes what you said even MORE disheartening. 

Small example - we said we were getting new starships like a YEAR ago. That they were going to be introduced when the arena came out. Instead the only new ships we got were the 2 NX Enterprise ships - and those can ONLY be found in speciality paid for ship packs.

Posted: 10 March 2017 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2016-12-08

I’m irritated this morning with this game by two things: 1) The continual 50%+ failure rate of event shuttle missions when the game tells me I should have a 70%+ success rate at minimum after applying boosts.  This now has occurred through more than a half dozen events, and over 300 missions.  It’s enough to conclude that the success rate should really mean failure rate.  This does not apply to non-event shuttles…they succeed as the numbers suggest.  2) The changes made to the gauntlet were not for the better.  Yes, we are getting more merits, which is cool.  But, there’s a trade-off in having to refresh more often to get opponents where the outcome is likely to be favorable.  Also, the tendency for opponents to crit above the stated percentage, and almost always to roll above average, has increased to the point where it’s now beyond deniability.  It clearly is not just me, as I am still ranked third in my group despite getting blown out of the water by inferior opponents more often than the numbers suggest.  As far as getting a streak going, and having a shot at Locutus, much harder than before.  Thankfully, I got two stars before the recent so called improvement took place.  As I said, the trade off…more merits that can be used in buying things again at faction centers, but more defeats in gauntlet by inferior players, and lower chances of having opponents that you have a reasonable chance of winning against.  At the end of the day…most definitely not cool, as getting my butt kicked by weaker opponents is certainly not fun.  Going forward, not worth the risk unless you have at least a 3:2 advantage in points with equal crit percentage, and if the opponent can crit at 25% or more, the chances of losing are better than 50% even if you have double the point advantage, and equal crit numbers.  At least in this round.   

End of rant.

Posted: 10 March 2017 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2016-06-26

To get to the OP’s point: yes, this negativity is the community people want. Now, do they want to be negative is another story but it certainly is what they want.

Posted: 10 March 2017 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2016-02-25

We, as members of this forum, are in a position to provide feedback to DB on the shortcomings of their game, in order to help them improve it. Theoretically… So yes, that will come across as negative, especially when there are so many problems that pop up again and again. If we didn’t care, we’d just move on to something else, never to be heard from again. Some have done that for sure, but those of us who stay (mostly) have a genuine desire to see the game improve, and so we continue to light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

Posted: 10 March 2017 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2016-02-16
Alpharius - 10 March 2017 12:52 AM

So I took the time to respond to each point, and then when I went to post it was marked as spam and discarded.

Yeah that is beyond annoying.

Signature 

183 Immortalized

Posted: 10 March 2017 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14

ahh, they are so cute when they are young and optimistic.  Before they get lied to, made empty promises, or see things crash and burn multiple times to the same mistakes.  Before they see rewards and whole event types stripped away in the name of increased profits.  Before they see the response to bad events from DB consistently be “you don’t have to play them”.  Before they see legitimate complaints censored, great lengthy detailed feedback told “I’ll forward it on.” to see months later nobody actually even looked at it.

I’ve been quiet lately because the decision to change event focus to mostly Galaxy and no Expedition is something I don’t feel like I can really gripe about.  I HATE Galaxy events, but some people enjoy them.  That is a legit design decision to focus on them more, and it just means actual game design is moving away what I like, and that’s fine in general but bad for me.

DB has been doing a better job about getting information out in a timely manner, which has lead to catching and correcting the Copy/Paste errors more efficiently even if they are still reaching the community.  DB hasn’t been as blantantly bad with “miscommunication” giving us false info, so that’s a plus.  The gauntlet has been a great addition.

I’ll say DB has been doing a much better job over the last month with actually running the day to day, but a lot of people are still burned and pissed about how bad they were in the past, and dodging the Expedition question, strange and inconsistent moderation, and other issues are still upsetting in the here and now.

DB has built this pessimistic and antagonistic relationship with the player base, and they forged that over the previous year, consistently and with almost dedicated purpose to it.  You really haven’t been around long enough, or even understand the nature of the issues well enough to turn around and criticize the players. 

Sorry if I’m a little too patronizing here, but DB earned this relationship with the players, and to have someone new come in and blame us it pretty infuriating.

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 10 March 2017 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2016-06-14

Xoiiku,
I don’t believe that most people want to be negative or cynical in the forum. We are attracted to sensationalistic headers because that is how we get our news and from the influence of social media. The negativity, I think, comes from the overwhelming feeling that our voice is not heard.

Setting aside my own frustrations about some of the features of the game, there are numerous threads that discuss the same issues. These problems have not been addressed in at least a year and lead people to the conclusion that DB does not listen or simply do not care. I’m sure that it is more complicated for DB to fix these issues than the average player may think (I have very little knowledge on how to write code or develop a mobile game).
Another problem I see on the forum is how we interpret written communications. Some people are very snarky and sarcastic in their responses and there is an overwhelming amount of passive aggressive behavior. Some people probably don’t want to be subjected to the abuse of the trolls and keep their gripes short and negative to avoid giving someone ammunition to use in response. Communication is a tricky thing and I fear it is only going to suffer degradation with the proliferation of social media.

I don’t have a solution at this point but I would love to see a more positive attitude in the forum. It’s a game after all, but it is also Star Trek. Many of us grew up watching the shows and wanting a society like that portrayed on the show. I believe all here want to be heard, respected and treated fairly. 

Posted: 10 March 2017 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2016-05-03

I’d love to have a more positive vibe on the forum and further, directly contribute to it, especially as some folks have quoted me in their sigs. Being a musician and freelance journalist I apparently have a way with words, at least to some, and I’d lve to sing the praises of this game and be that proverbial, shining beacon… I want to like this game but DB makes that very, very hard. And when a product is substandard, with so many blatant flaws that could be fixed so easily but the company making that product time and again gives the clear impression they care only about money… well I won’t be singing their praises any time soon.

Paying customers have a right to voice their displeasure when the product is substandard and many of us have made very positive, constructive and realistic suggestions for improvement before but as long as the “whales” each continue spending thousands a month DB knows they’ll get that money from the 1% and average customers or f2p players be damned.

Signature 

Task Force April - Emperor and Overlord of Spaaaaace
April’s Aces - Brooding Lonely at the Top Command Officer

We’re looking for a few good lifeforms…

Visit our recruiting thread

Posted: 10 March 2017 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  301
Joined  2016-10-17

I ignored the forums for a while because the negativity was bringing me down. Unfortunately at times, I’ve contributed to that, more than a couple times actually. There is a ton of good in the forum community as well, that’s why I’m still here.

Posted: 10 March 2017 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  669
Joined  2016-06-17
Emergency Command Hologram - 10 March 2017 11:53 AM
Alpharius - 10 March 2017 12:52 AM

Yeah that is beyond annoying.

That’s why I do a quick highlight and copy before I hit ‘post’ on the long ones.

Posted: 10 March 2017 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2016-03-04

I haven’t lost my optimism and positivity at all. I’m still patiently waiting for my Jeffrey Combs event!

Signature 

[9RS | Combs] Kilana
9RS fleet is recruiting! Contact me for more information.

Posted: 10 March 2017 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2016-12-28

Thanks for everyone’s feedback and thoughts on the matter. I think perhaps I could be clearer about the point I am trying to make and I will attempt to do so, in responding to the following excerpt which seems to me to encapsulate the general sentiment, in terms of the reasons for the negativity, as well as a misunderstanding of my perspective.

Roonis - 10 March 2017 01:28 PM

DB has built this pessimistic and antagonistic relationship with the player base, and they forged that over the previous year, consistently and with almost dedicated purpose to it.  You really haven’t been around long enough, or even understand the nature of the issues well enough to turn around and criticize the players. 

Sorry if I’m a little too patronizing here, but DB earned this relationship with the players, and to have someone new come in and blame us is pretty infuriating.

It’s true that I’ve not been around these forums as long as many of the other players, yet I’ve been a gamer for quite some time and there are patterns of behavior and communication here, that I have observed in other communities.

I understand that there is ample reason to be frustrated, “pessimistic and antagonistic” and whatnot. My question is one of assessing how effective those forms of communication are, not one of blaming anyone for feeling the way they do, or attempting to delegitimize their criticisms.

No offense meant and none taken, I’m just asking an open question and suggest that perhaps maintaining a more civil and focused approach might be more effective.

Signature 

We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
Consider participating in civil discourse, being like water, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5