1 2 > 
Feeling left out of events
Posted: 17 February 2017 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2017-01-16

I’m in to my second month of playing now and I’ve been hammering away at each event that comes up just like I have this week.

I can see the possibility of getting a 4* Kal-if-fee Spock if I can get my event points up to 120,000 and finish in the top 3000. Problem is, I don’t think that’s ever going to happen - not just in this event but in ANY event.

I can appreciate that right now, I don’t have my fourth shuttle and even if I did, my crew are limited in power so hitting 120,000 event points is beyond my grasp. Eventually, I would expect to overcome this problem, especially as I’ll have my fourth shuttle within the week.

What I don’t think I’ll ever overcome is the thousands of players who are already miles ahead of me that I need to “beat” to get in to the top 3000 in an event. Assuming we all progress at a similar rate, I’m never going to even come close.

It’s a little demoralising to know that I’ll never be able to climb those ranks, no matter how long I play for and that getting a FF crew member will rely on buying event packs, getting a random drop or waiting for a repeat event.

In a way, the new gauntlet system seems to be weighted in favour of long-time players as well. Sure, one day I might get some decent FF crew but by the time that happens, anyone who’s been playing longer than me will have even more FF crew.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it ever get better or am I going to feel like this indefinitely because I started a year too late?

Posted: 17 February 2017 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2016-04-29

I believe you’ll catch up to the more experienced players in time. Don’t give up on ranking as high as you can in events. They re-run every few months or so, giving you a chance to add more stars to the 4* event chars you win via Threshold Rewards. And as your crew roster strengthens, you’ll find that you can rank higher and higher with increased ease.

A benefit of you being a newer player is that you haven’t yet fatigued of the various events that come up week after week. You can use this to your advantage, especially once you have stronger, high-leveled crew. Lots of older players have already stopped going “all-out” on events, and some are sitting out entirely (like me!). That’ll be your opening to go “all-out” and rank high!

It takes a bit of patience, but slowly you will get to a point where you will be competitive enough to go toe-to-toe with the best of us (who are not whales). Good luck to you, man!

Signature 

Leader of THE F2P LEAGUE. F2P FTW!
To DB: Today is a good day to Do Better.

Posted: 17 February 2017 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2016-12-07

welcome to STT and the forums! unfortunately w/o paying I don’t see you being competitive in future events. That being said once you have more diverse crew with various traits and began FF/FE them you will see you can achieve threshold rewards with patience and daily play. But as far as competing for top tier rewards with the “whales” not gonna happen. Still try to enjoy the game for what it is currently, pokemon with the trek theme. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Signature 

“Risk is our business. That is what a starship is all about.”
Cpt. James T. Kirk

DB: Do Better!

Posted: 17 February 2017 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  701
Joined  2016-06-18
xfawkes - 17 February 2017 12:36 PM

I’m in to my second month of playing now and I’ve been hammering away at each event that comes up just like I have this week.

I can see the possibility of getting a 4* Kal-if-fee Spock if I can get my event points up to 120,000 and finish in the top 3000. Problem is, I don’t think that’s ever going to happen - not just in this event but in ANY event.

I can appreciate that right now, I don’t have my fourth shuttle and even if I did, my crew are limited in power so hitting 120,000 event points is beyond my grasp. Eventually, I would expect to overcome this problem, especially as I’ll have my fourth shuttle within the week.

What I don’t think I’ll ever overcome is the thousands of players who are already miles ahead of me that I need to “beat” to get in to the top 3000 in an event. Assuming we all progress at a similar rate, I’m never going to even come close.

It’s a little demoralising to know that I’ll never be able to climb those ranks, no matter how long I play for and that getting a FF crew member will rely on buying event packs, getting a random drop or waiting for a repeat event.

In a way, the new gauntlet system seems to be weighted in favour of long-time players as well. Sure, one day I might get some decent FF crew but by the time that happens, anyone who’s been playing longer than me will have even more FF crew.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it ever get better or am I going to feel like this indefinitely because I started a year too late?

If it makes you feel any better, I have my 4th shuttle and I don’t go into faction events expecting to hit 120,000 most of the time.

I’d ask you, though… why do you think you need to FF/FE that Kal-I-Fee Spock? At 3/4 or even 2/4 will he not be amongst your best crew? Same goes for any 4 or 5* crew you manage to get from a pack or Dabo. Cherish those, and build them slowly. They’ll be there for you for shuttles and missions for a long time. And when you do get them built up to Lv 80-100, those will be the crew that lift you up into the top 2500 in a future event and will get you that 4/4 reward.

I had a level 80 Kal-I-Fee 2/4 going into this event, because I was new-ish when it ran the first time, and 2/4 was all I could manage. He still was a mainstay in my crew from that point to now. About a month ago I was charting my shuttle crew and he was in the most frequently used population, meaning he was amongst my best 10-15 crew for shuttles.

I think in general people are overly concerned with FF/FE when they should instead be concerned with what can help improve their crew, be it 3/3, 2/4 or 1/5.

Signature 

- G O R N
D I L I T H I U M   C A U S E S   C A N C E R

Posted: 17 February 2017 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2016-12-24

I’ve been playing for only a couple of months too and with these Faction (shuttle) events, you’re right that, with only low-level crew and two shuttles, we’re not going to do well. You can probably expect to pick up a 2/4 character (Kalifee Spock in this case), and that’s about it.

However, Galaxy Events are a whole different ballgame. There, the strength of your crew matters very little and, with a little planning and a lot of free time over the weekend, we can actually do very well here. I managed to get the Legendary characters (and the 4/4s) in both of the past galaxy events for example.

So don’t despair. You’re not going to do well in everything, but there will be some areas where you can still be competitive.

Yes, obviously all things being equal, people with loads of FF characters and loads of money to throw at the game will always do better, but that doesn’t mean people like us can’t do well too.

And even getting some of the lower rewards like a 2/4 character isn’t too bad. There are some characters that are still very good even with one star. And every now and then you get lucky; in the gauntlet or with portal pulls for example.

After a while, your crew will grow and get better, and your ability to compete in events will grow exponentially. People at the top on the other hand have no where to go; there’s diminishing return; once a player has enough good people, their room for improvement and advancement is much narrower, so the gap between us and them is constantly decreasing.

James Dobbs - 17 February 2017 12:43 PM

unfortunately w/o paying I don’t see you being competitive in future events. That being said once you have more diverse crew with various traits and began FF/FE them you will see you can achieve threshold rewards with patience and daily play. But as far as competing for top tier rewards with the “whales” not gonna happen.

This isn’t true.
I’ve never spent any money on the game and, as I said above, still managed to get the past two legendaries and 4/4 characters. It is possible!

Posted: 17 February 2017 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  394
Joined  2016-02-16

You assume everybody playing this game will still be playing tomorrow. That’s just simply not going to happen. People will quit everyday. You’ve only been playing two months. Unless you’re spending thousands of dollars on this game, you will not advance that quickly. Patience.

Signature 

172 Immortalized

Posted: 17 February 2017 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  2015-05-03

you don’t need 120,000 to get a 4/4.  more like 90,000?
I seldom get 120,000.  Usually around 110,000 for top 1000 finish.

and yeah the game has a very slow long curve.  I started a ftp character a month ago and at the rate I’m going it’ll be well over a year until being competitive.  But I’m very casual with it.

Posted: 17 February 2017 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  647
Joined  2016-10-12

I am in my 6th month of playing. Monthly card owner. It took 3 months to start ranking well and obtaining FF crew. But also, it took 5 months to start successfully leveling legendary crew, and that was due to the introduction of ad warps.

Being competitive takes time and effort, and if you are top 1k within 2 months of play, then you either spent too much, or you beat the game and will probably quit before reaching the six mo th mark.

Signature 

Admiral Spear of Per Audacia Ad Astra

Posted: 17 February 2017 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2016-07-18

First off, welcome to the game and welcome to the forums.

That’s a good goal to have, and as I get into the rest of your post I’ll explain why it’s too early to give up on it just yet. In the meantime, Spock is a pretty useful player to get, even at 2/4 or 3/4. And as I’ve found playing this game, you just don’t know when RNG is going to award you that fourth star. He’s useful not fully-fused, and just because he comes out of this event incomplete doesn’t mean he’ll stay that way.

That fourth shuttle is going to be a big help to you. Not so much in events initially, because your crew will take some time to catch up, but just as a way of accumulating trainers and items. Down the road, it’s going to give you an advantage over F2P types, some of whom are still competitive in these events with two shuttles!

This is the flawed assumption at the heart of your problem. We don’t all progress at a similar rate.

I hit my one-year anniversary the other day. Right now I’m working on my 3/3 Deanna Troi for next week’s event, possibly cadet challenges and then later for the vault. I’m also working on my 1/5 Age of Sail Crusher for cadet challenges and just to get her polished off. But once those characters are done they’re going to pay me pretty modest dividends. I already have 2/5 Dark Ages McCoy at lvl. 99, so adding Crusher to that mix isn’t a game-changer for me. Troi may end up in the vault, depending on my crew slot situation; I generally have to keep tight rein on my cadet crew because I’m running out of space.

I don’t know what your roster looks like, but I’m guessing adding a lvl. 100 1/5 or 4/4 would be a big thing for you. Every time you do it, you gain on more established players like me, who are only making tiny incremental gains.

That’s not even taking into account events like this - a re-run - which narrow the gap further. I’m gunning for a 1/5 Lwaxana, but I already have 4/4 Spock and 3/3 Lwaxana, so those rewards are going to get flushed. If you collect any of those rewards and can use them, you’re closing the gap with players like me.

This also isn’t taking into account players leaving or losing interest the game, something which happens all the time. It’s not taking into account players sitting out events - something I and others have been doing with greater frequency given the prevalence of Galaxy Events. All of those are opportunities to make gains.

Given time, it won’t, particularly due to the presence of threshold rewards. You may have seen the “Culture of Waste” post the other day, complaining about how top players collect 7 duplicates of the same 4* Spock in this event. There’s practically no advantage to getting 7 rather than 4 versions of the character - and once you get to the point where you can claim 3/4 from the threshold rewards, it won’t matter if you hit the top 1000 or not. You’ll be getting the same 4/4 character as players like me, because we’re mostly just flushing the extras anyway.

The same things I’ve pointed to in events apply to the Gauntlet, only more so because of the RNG. I hit six wins in a row yesterday - something anyone should be able to do with a little patience - and had a Locutus drop out. That’s a bigger reward than anything I got in my last Gauntlet, even though I was in the top-10 all event and collected a bunch of stuff at the end.

For what it’s worth, I think everyone experiences this. I came into the game in its second month and got smoked in my first event (Arachnia Janeway/Captain Proton Paris). My crew was not good and I was a F2P player (I’ve since converted to the monthly card) and I figured there was no way I’d ever be competitive with the whales who dominated the leaderboard.

With time, the situation improves. My advice: Just decide how much you actually like the gameplay. If you like it, in time you’ll be competitive with everyone. If you don’t, being competitive won’t be enough to keep you in the game anyway.

Posted: 17 February 2017 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3141
Joined  2016-01-30

Turnover in mobile games is very high. Every day thousands of players leave and top spots open up. The other post have given you some good advice.

The only thing I want to add is I only have 3 shuttles and I always place in the top 400 in shuttle events. I am currently sitting at 112 on the leaderboard. Yes, I have a strong crew. I’m just mentioning it because its an alternative strategy. Three very strong shuttles vs. four more diluted. So don’t feel like you need to spend the money to get the 4th shuttle. Don’t get me wrong it could/would be nice to have.

Game balance is hard. Making a game engaging for new and long time players is something most games struggle with. Honestly the data shows that game companies tilt towards newer players because thats where the money is. DB does this with the power creep. For example a new player can join the game in the last month pick up the two best shuttle crew and one of the best gauntlet crew in the whole game for very little money.

Thats not accurate. The Gauntlet is proficiency only which does not change with fusing. A 1/4* has the same rolls as a 4/4*. Any new player can level a 1/4* to 100 and take on FF players in the Gauntlet.

Posted: 17 February 2017 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-12-12

Paying to buy the monthly card will drastically change your fortunes.

Posted: 17 February 2017 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2016-04-12

If it is any consolation I have been playing for nearly a year and used to happily finish events between 1500 and 750 with only a month card and the odd top up.

With recent changes, especially to shuttle events I struggle to finish in the top 3000.

I just can’t be bothered anymore.  I think i only have another month before I find something else to amuse me.

Posted: 17 February 2017 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2017-01-17

If it’s any consolation, I was in the top one thousand last night then I failed all three of my overnight shuttles and I’m slightly north of five thousand.

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2017 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2016-08-07

Heed the Vice Admiral’s wisdom. Don’t expect to compete in shuttle events for a minute, they’re extremely dependent on having several bonus crew to supplement your event crew. Any items you get now will save you a lot of time later, focus on getting thresholds and don’t stress your ranking until you’re organically in the top 4k or so. You’ll learn some strategies to push higher that won’t really work until you can hit a pretty consistent 75% on at least 2250 VP missions, but ftm just plug away and don’t stress. As previously stated, Galaxy events are much less dependent on crew and spending than shuttles. Maybe at some point DB will grace us with an Expedition event… those are much easier with bonus crew but perseverance will get you into the top 1k.

Signature 

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
-Lord Wizzlestix I

Posted: 17 February 2017 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2016-12-08

I’m in my fourth month here, and still have yet to finish in the top 2k in a shuttle event.  I try not to let it bother me, and just concern myself with the threshold awards I want.  As for galaxy events, your strategy should be similar - get the threshold awards that you can before the cost in chrons becomes too great, and your inventory gets depleted.  In my experience, it’s easier to break into the top thousand in the galaxies, provided you are willing to the chrons into it.  As for the Gauntlet, your characters probably aren’t leveled high enough at this point to compete for a top 10 finish, but don’t despair.  Two nights ago, I won Locutus in a crate after just a nine game streak, and others have posted similar experiences.  The loot for finishing in the top 10 has been underwhelming more often than not, so just play as best you can, and try to have fun.  As far as general game play goes, it’s easier now than it was a few weeks ago to get through Episodes 5 - 7.  Back before the rebalance, you needed to have characters able to roll in the 5 and 6 hundreds in order to complete those missions on normal, which took weeks of leveling FF 4’s, and a few 5’s.  Now, a decently level crew of 3’s should be able to do that, though having a few 4’s or 5’s would certainly help.  I agree with what others said about FF the 5’s…even at 1/5, those characters are quite useful.  As for getting that fourth shuttle, it will help you in the long run, so if you’re putting money into the game, it’s worth having.

Posted: 18 February 2017 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2016-06-08

It would be nice if DB recognized a growing player base and adjusted the rewards as such, for example instead of the top 1,000 getting the 1/5 have it the top 1,500 and so on.

I never thought I would ever clear a threshold, but eventually I did, it will come with time, and patience, I have been playing for coming up to a year now, and I didn’t clear my first threshold until about a month ago.

Don’t spend over what you want, for me I did (although I would not have had the VIP benefits not been falsely advertised at the time) and I regret it very very much.  I would enjoy the game if I had less of an investment.

the monthly card is a solid investment, at least for the first few months, don’t waste your dil, save and spend wisely.

Try and find a squadron who will take you even if you aren’t a huge help, because the squad leaders extra crew member will help you out.

1 2 > 
1 of 2