Some ideas ?
Posted: 17 February 2017 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2016-07-23

Some random suggestions:

- Warp cadet challenge

I’ve seen this one asked before, so I’m not taking credit for coming up with this ... but seriously ... why
isn’t this activated yet?  Warp button is there .. just always greyed out ... O.o
What possible reason could there be to disallow Warp on a 3* Cadet mission - other than just to be annoying.  :(

- use boosts during away missions (limit 1 per mission)

I was thinking, would it be totally “broken” to allow some boosts (ie skill enhancers) on away missions ?
I realize they were intended initially for shuttle missions, however, they could be useful resources to help hit a troublesome node either just to clear/pass or to crit it.  Should be a limit of 1 per mission regardless, to force tough choices, and not to just rely on them to clear every node.
I thought of this, since I rarely use them for shuttle missions (they times they actually seem to help appear to be far a few between), so at the moment, I really have nothing to use these things on. They kind of suck at boosting shuttle missions, to be perfectly honest .. *shrug*

- synergy bonuses ?
  - either specific crew (ie Data+LaForge, or Riker+Troi ... etc)

I’m actually surprised this isn’t in here already ... friends, enemies, love interests, typical crew, etc. They should offer a small boost when used together. This would encourage away teams with themes and “in universe” match ups smile
for example:  Kirk + McCoy + Spock ... TOS away team, should get some good bonuses there smile

- or just based on skills: give small + if another crew has same skill
    eg:  Using Melora on a Science node, she gets a small bonus if Data is also in the away team, since he has a science skill.
    The amount should be small, but “useful” .. (initial thoughts were 10% or even 5% of the second crew’s skill .. or even just a flat +10 per *  (so a *** gives a +30 ?)

- the idea behind this would encourage more strategy / thought into away missions ... especially on Epic, for those
      really “hard to hit” nodes ... it gives us some options to help gain a bit of a bonus and help crit those nodes ..
    Take for example, the Tuesday’s cadet challenge, Epic, Mission #5: Of Two Evils.
    I currently am running a team of: ** Seven, ** Persis and ** Worf (or ** Kes)
      I need about a 500+ to crit the node, which means I pretty much need to roll max with those crew.
        This creates a scenario that is based 100% on luck, and there is currently nothing I can do to affect this.
        If, however, I could bring in a different crew to trigger some sort of synergy ... I might find it worthwhile
        to sacrifice a failed node earlier, in order to get a better chance to crit another node.
        It opens up more strategic options and choices to some of the harder missions.
        It gives us OPTIONS for dealing with hard nodes, rather than just taking multiple (blind) runs at it until we “get lucky” :(
          As it is, I’m not even wasting my time on these guys any more ... there’s no incentive to play that “get lucky” game ...
            *shrug*

Posted: 17 February 2017 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2016-08-23

I had an idea in this line that I don’t think I ever posted before. Crew help each other when they are on missions. A crewman may not know which end of a screwdriver not to stick in a power outlet but they can still hold something.

In game terms proficiency adds up for all members of the away team.
For example:
crew A skill 40 + 2-5
crew B skill 30 + 5-10
crew c skill 25 + 4-5

So when you send crewman A to do a node they get 40 + 11-20.

Posted: 17 February 2017 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2016-12-28

I like the idea of crew helping each other and there being more teamwork and/or relationship/friendship synergy on away missions which would give us increased flexibility in crew and strategy. I outlined my idea for one way that could work: Teamwork - Trait collaboration among away team

Xoiiku - 13 January 2017 10:16 PM

I would like to suggest that the traits for bonuses and/or locked nodes for missions could be influenced by any crew who is part of the away team. This would allow for greater flexibility in the crew required to progress through the missions and a player’s crew choices overall.

As an example:
For the mission “Man With a Plan”(E2-M19B) one of the nodes (2-A) is locked by the traits Cardassian and Changeling, while requiring the diplomacy skill.

I suggest that instead of this node requiring a single crew member who is a Cardassian or Changeling that also has Diplomacy skill, a player could simply have those traits distributed among the team in some way. This would allow players to use whatever diplomat they wanted (or have), and simply have a Cardassian or Changeling on the team. As such they could fulfill the requirement of the node and unlock it as a team. Success, in this case, would still depend on the diplomats skill.

Additionally, I think bonus traits could work much in the same way as required traits, where one or both of the members of the team is lending hand or giving advice to the crew selected for the node for whatever trait the node gave a bonus for. In effect, sharing their trait(s) bonus with them. Given that there are 3 team members it would probably be best to just use the highest trait bonus where applicable, or some collaborative/synergistic bonus. Success would still depend primarily on the skill level of the crew selected for the node, plus any bonus from traits among the team.

In this way, a crew member would still be selected for a particular node based whatever skill it needed. The required and/or bonus traits could be fulfilled or shared by team as a whole.

The purpose here is to give increased flexibility in problem solving and crew roster while maintaining an emphasis on diversity and teamwork.

Thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Some version of the concept would be cool.

Signature 

We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
Consider participating in civil discourse, solidarity, and voting for 5* USS Defiant Refit/USS São Paulo (NCC-75633)

Posted: 17 February 2017 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Joined  2016-07-23

@scruffy151:  That’s a neat idea as well ... although some of the 4* and 5* do have LARGE bonuses on the random part, so that would be a HUGE boost ..., maybe too much really smile

@Xoiiku:  I figured I couldn’t be the first to suggest something like this smile  That’s a great idea ... having more flexibility in those bonus traits would open up more team building options without grossly affecting the numbers .. wink

Hopefully somebody takes some of these ideas into consideration ... smile We’re not asking for freebies here, just “options” smile 

Posted: 17 February 2017 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  708
Joined  2016-05-01
Ditto - 17 February 2017 09:03 AM

Some random suggestions:

- Warp cadet challenge

Because if you could warp them, you’d unlock warp, then airlock your cadets, and then the whole point of cadet challenges goes out the window. It would be nice to be able to warp them with the catch that you need appropriate cadets active, but that seems like too much work to check for DB. I’d rather they just got rid of the warp button so people didn’t feel cheated out of something.

I like this one, and since they added ‘shuttle’ boosts to things like Galaxy events, it doesn’t even seem far fetched. At the very least it would let us finish things like EAS5 where there is literally no crew in the game who can complete it.

- synergy bonuses ?

I like the idea of this, but I feel like it’s too big of a project for DB to tackle reasonably. There’s already a lot of complaints about crew that lack traits they should have (like Angel I Riker being the only Riker who doesn’t have Romantic, despite him being probably the most “romantic” Riker there is).. Imagine if they did this, people would be like “But Captain Scott and Chief Engineer La Forge should get a bonus together because of Relics!” .. things like that. Maybe if they just limited it to crew from the same series.. like any Chakotay gets a bonus when paired up with any Janeway, for example.

Signature 

Timelines Fanfic Crew Suggestions
List of missing crew traits

Posted: 18 February 2017 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Joined  2016-07-23
GilbertSmith - 17 February 2017 11:53 PM
Ditto - 17 February 2017 09:03 AM

Some random suggestions:

- Warp cadet challenge

Because if you could warp them, you’d unlock warp, then airlock your cadets, and then the whole point of cadet challenges goes out the window.

How is that ?  I’ve already slogged through the mud to get the 3*s on that mission .. why make me slog through .. again .. and again ... ??  seems I’ve “completed” the cadet challenge ... not missing any point as far as I can tell ...
You’ll need to explain your point of view on this a bit more, if you care to .. please smile

It would be nice to be able to warp them with the catch that you need appropriate cadets active,

That’s an acceptable solution ...

but that seems like too much work to check for DB.

I got nothing to add .. wink

I’d rather they just got rid of the warp button so people didn’t feel cheated out of something.

so .. sweep it under the rug, and hope nobody notices?
No thanks, I’d just like to understand the logic behind it. smile
To me ... having slogged through the missions already .. and already gotten them 3* .. I don’t see the point of continuing to force people to do that again ... they’ve completed it .. “congratulations” ...
*shrug*

I like this one, and since they added ‘shuttle’ boosts to things like Galaxy events, it doesn’t even seem far fetched. At the very least it would let us finish things like EAS5 where there is literally no crew in the game who can complete it.

smile  Thanks!  Let’s hope somebody @DB reads this and passes it along .. wink

- synergy bonuses ?

I like the idea of this, but I feel like it’s too big of a project for DB to tackle reasonably. There’s already a lot of complaints about crew that lack traits they should have (like Angel I Riker being the only Riker who doesn’t have Romantic, despite him being probably the most “romantic” Riker there is).. Imagine if they did this, people would be like “But Captain Scott and Chief Engineer La Forge should get a bonus together because of Relics!” .. things like that. Maybe if they just limited it to crew from the same series.. like any Chakotay gets a bonus when paired up with any Janeway, for example.

Yeah, agreed .. it could get complex .,.. hence my alternate option of something like looking for similar skills ... and you get a (small) bonus for having other members in the away team with the necessary skill.  *shrug*  it’d be easier to code/implement ... but would have to come up with a way to make it small enough to not “break” things .. and large enough to be “meaningful” smile