NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

< 1 2 3 4 5 > 
Obvious cheating
Posted: 02 February 2017 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2016-02-04
Tribble Spock - 02 February 2017 06:56 PM
Brother Captain Archangel - 02 February 2017 04:32 PM

You mean opening up a whole bunch of shuttle missions to start and using speedup boosts? That isn’t an exploit. Anyone can do it.

Except that’s not quite all there is to it, isn’t it?

Dear Player Base,

For months the Faction Events have been exploited by opening up 30 shuttle missions. 10 of each. They are then all completed at once. When the 31st shuttle mission is opened its vp value is 2250.

Within a few minutes, using speed-up boosts and maxed crew you can be doing 4000vp for the rest of the event. A maxed 5* and 4* event crew get a guaranteed 95% on two crew shuttle missions.

The current format was likely in response to emails I sent to Nod and Erin. There has been no reply from either of them and I did not expect one.

So Frank as thankful as I am for the openness you and others have been with your playing strategies it would be better if all three events were fair for all players. Shuttle events are broken until all players are competing with the same rules and knowledge.

My sincere apologies to the board leaders you are not cheaters. You are just using a loop hole that DB has seen fit to ignore. I believe the loop hole in fact exploits players who chase the top and dump huge sums of money only to always fall short. If DB were losing money like the faction store debacle how fast would this have been fixed?

We all want to feel good, and gaming the game does that, I’ve done it(faction store).

But now it needs to stop.

Lol your “cheating” method isn’t even the best/most efficient method for getting to the high VP missions quickly.

Signature 

Disruptor Beam at court, the court of silence.

VIP 12

Admiral of the 7th Tactical Wing

Member of the VIP 0 Heroes as Darmok Mk 0.5

Posted: 02 February 2017 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2016-04-29

Dear Player Base,

{...} The current format was likely in response to emails I sent to Nod and Erin. There has been no reply from either of them and I did not expect one.

{...} My sincere apologies to the board leaders you are not cheaters. You are just using a loop hole that DB has seen fit to ignore.

{...} But now it needs to stop.

I have no words for you, for what you have done. angry

Signature 

VIP 0 For Life!
To DB: Today is a good day to Do Better.

Posted: 02 February 2017 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  956
Joined  2016-03-18

What needs to stop?  Once you skip to the high VP missions, you need the crew to stay there.  And you need even better crew now to support the difficulty level after the changes to the event missions.  Someone like me, who has a willingness to drop $100 on event crew every week, will always outperform those who aren’t.  That isn’t cheating.  That’s how the game works.

Signature 

Join the eXo|plosion today! One spot remaining!

When I’m not a VIP Hero, I’m a proud VIP 0. But I’m BronzeRose there; F2P can’t afford silver.

Also a proud member of [DCC] Dilithium Causes Cancer with monthly card Silver-Plated Rose. Because it’s hard to play three accounts without some ability to warp.

Posted: 02 February 2017 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  341
Joined  2016-11-30

Yeah it’s crazy to call it cheating.  I’m stoked whenever I manage top 1000, I know it costs a lot of money to get higher.

The players at the top of the boards have been playing for a long time and have sunk a lot of money into DB’s pockets.  That’s how you “win” at these mobile games. 

“Opening 30 shuttle missions” isn’t cheating, it’s an in game mechanic for everyone to use.  If you want to leap up the leader board, do the same, spend the boosts and dilithium.  “Cheating” would imply they’re operating outside the rules of the game, hacking the VP amounts or something, putting them at an unfair advantage.

The advantage “whales” have, has come at a considerable cost.  If you aren’t willing to spend to compete and can’t live with that without crying on forums about “cheaters”, then I strongly suggest a different gaming platform, because mobile gaming isn’t for you.

That said, I for one would be delighted to know the “best” way to skip the dross missions on faction events, beyond “open 30 and blitz them all”.

Assuming it’s alright to ask that question without it considered “cheating”.

Signature 

/SSR/Ninpo

Fleet for Serious Trekkers

Posted: 02 February 2017 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2016-06-13

You mean opening up a whole bunch of shuttle missions to start and using speedup boosts? That isn’t an exploit. Anyone can do it.

Dear Player Base,

For months the Faction Events have been exploited by opening up 30 shuttle missions. 10 of each. They are then all completed at once. When the 31st shuttle mission is opened its vp value is 2250.

Within a few minutes, using speed-up boosts and maxed crew you can be doing 4000vp for the rest of the event. A maxed 5* and 4* event crew get a guaranteed 95% on two crew shuttle missions.

The current format was likely in response to emails I sent to Nod and Erin. There has been no reply from either of them and I did not expect one.

So Frank as thankful as I am for the openness you and others have been with your playing strategies it would be better if all three events were fair for all players. Shuttle events are broken until all players are competing with the same rules and knowledge.

My sincere apologies to the board leaders you are not cheaters. You are just using a loop hole that DB has seen fit to ignore. I believe the loop hole in fact exploits players who chase the top and dump huge sums of money only to always fall short. If DB were losing money like the faction store debacle how fast would this have been fixed?

We all want to feel good, and gaming the game does that, I’ve done it(faction store).

Hi!

I respectfully disagree.

I don’t see this as a loophole.  I don’t see the game or events as being “broken”.  I don’t see this as being a result of anyone doing anything.

It’s math.

Simple math.

Break down how many successful attempts are needed to go to the next VP level.  And the next.  And the next.  Formulate a strategy.  Ask yourself..“self, how can I get to 4K missions quickly?”  At that time, you should reply “well, self, I’d say if you can hit those thresholds that cause you to enter the next level of VP points as fast as you can, you can create a lead that will appear large, but still can be caught”. 

All anyone ever did was figure out, mathematically, how many missions need to be immediately “passed” via 1 min completions or 90 min boosts to arrive at 4k missions.  That’s been figured out and it’s been used since pretty much the second event.  You’re 9 months too late calling foul here.  As Darmok said above, what we are talking about isn’t even the method the top whales use.  We use a variation on this that gets us to 4k quicker, albeit more costly in the form of boosts.

But, at the end of the day, it’s irrelevant.  Again, not an exploit or hack or cheat.  It’s math.  The only way to counter this would be for DB to limit the amount of shuttle missions you can have open at any given time to ‘4’.  That would absolutely cause a firestorm as this strategy isn’t just used in events, but in daily play.  It’s not a game-breaking dynamic so no need to change.  But even if, hypothetically, you got DB to limit open missions to 4, I’d just speed those up 50 times instead of 20 and get to my 4k shuttles.  I’ll cuss your name with every extra dollar I spend, but I’d do it out of spite.

*OR* and hear me out here

OR
we could all just be happy with what we have and hope for improvements in game mechanics, dynamics and event structure.  We could also take this opportunity to welcome people like the OP to the community instead of bickering.  We could also invite all of you to the STT subreddit or the Discord chat server.  These places are where you talk to players from all around the world and all around the leaderboards and fleets.  We share strategy, we share tips, and we share our occasional love for this game.

There’s no need for anyone to be upset with someone else in the community because of our placement on the leaderboard.

Posted: 02 February 2017 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  341
Joined  2016-11-30
[BL] Frank - 02 February 2017 07:33 PM

<snip>

There’s no need for anyone to be upset with someone else in the community because of our placement on the leaderboard.

Great post.

Signature 

/SSR/Ninpo

Fleet for Serious Trekkers

Posted: 02 February 2017 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2016-05-16

Dear Player Base,

Maybe I’m a gaming idiot… But how are 30 shuttle missions completed at once?!?!?!

Posted: 02 February 2017 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2016-12-12
[OiNK] Doc - 02 February 2017 08:44 PM

Dear Player Base,

Maybe I’m a gaming idiot… But how are 30 shuttle missions completed at once?!?!?!

I don’t think it matters when they complete. The difficulty is determined when they are opened.

Posted: 02 February 2017 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2016-02-17

Thanks for your contributions to this thread, Frank. And thanks for the Discord shoutout!

This is, of course, the same thing we’ve been hearing since the earliest events when BL first made its mark. I’m just a lowly VIP 5, but I use a version of the aforementioned bootstrapping method myself to decent effect. Ten 1-minute missions, followed by ten 90-minute missions instantly completed with 3* time boosts. Within a half hour I’m on 1500 VP shuttles. It’s not a quick sprint to 4k, as I don’t have the crew to sustain that for a whole event, but with luck and plentiful time and skill boosts, I can finish in the top 500 of any shuttle event.

No one’s cheating, just using legitimate and widely-shared strategies that anyone could take advantage of, if they choose to listen to experienced players instead of casting aspersions.

Signature 

Administrator, Star Trek Timelines Discord group
URL: Discord.me/StarTrekTimelines
Invite code: https://discord.gg/xpvbjuQ

Posted: 02 February 2017 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2016-02-20

I’m friends with most of the people who have been #1 in shuttles. Money, constantly setting your alarm at 3 hours and a lot of luck is the key.  No actual “cheating”.

Posted: 02 February 2017 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2017-01-07

I, for one, have just enjoyed the hell out of this thread.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2017 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2016-05-16
Pallidyne - 02 February 2017 08:57 PM

Dear Player Base,

I don’t think it matters when they complete. The difficulty is determined when they are opened.

this seems incorrect…. I had my shuttles all at 1200 and now it has dropped to 800 and even the ones I opened at 1200 now say that they only give 800.

Posted: 02 February 2017 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2016-12-12
[OiNK] Doc - 02 February 2017 10:58 PM
Pallidyne - 02 February 2017 08:57 PM

Dear Player Base,

this seems incorrect…. I had my shuttles all at 1200 and now it has dropped to 800 and even the ones I opened at 1200 now say that they only give 800.

Where does it say it? The faction page or the individual job page?

Posted: 02 February 2017 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  2016-01-30
[OiNK] Doc - 02 February 2017 10:58 PM

Two things are happening there. There is a lag in the display vs the actual difficulty. This is for all shuttles not just events. There are many threads going back over 9 months so I’m not going rehashing it here.
Also once the shuttle are complete you don’t collect it you can send out up to 30. In the beginning this can be done for free. If you are saving your Thursday boost (I never use them outside of an event), you can actually autocomplete dozens of missions without costing you anything. I autocompleted 30 with boost plus the 30 one minute ones. I peaked at 105 today. $0 spent. I should be able to hold my normal top 400 rank without spending anything, not even event packs.

Posted: 03 February 2017 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2016-06-13

One thing worth posting is this observation -
I was chatting with Merwinian on Discord about this topic and we both came to a realization…
To the OP or anyone else who has felt that the top of the leaderboard is ‘cheating’ - you’re absolutely normal to feel that way.  Let me explain:

When the game started, I was buying packs here and there, but without a plan or strategy.  It wasn’t that I “didn’t know what I was doing” with the game, but I prefer to say I just hadn’t hit my grove.  I vividly remember in April with the first Trouble with Klingons event - just the second event ever in the game’s history.  I saw the leaderboard and after the first day I was in disbelief.  People from these BL or KM fleets were all over the place, but mathematically I didn’t see how it was possible.  My shuttles were coming in every 3 hours (before boosts existed) and these guys were lightyears ahead of me.  It was, to be honest, disheartening as I didn’t feel I could ever do that and I was just wasting my time.

I came to realize that it wasn’t a competition insomuch that whatever the reward was, I could just buy in packs.  I came to see the game in a different light, and enjoyed it for what it was instead of trying to figure out a way to beat those guys.  11 months later, and I am one of those guys.

The point is - again - you’re not wrong.  You’re judging the situation from your own perspective.  Maybe, with your crew and setup, you can only get 2750VP shuttles.  To you, anything else is out of the picture.  I can understand, having been in that exact spot, what that feels like and why it doesn’t seem right.

If you play every day, or almost every day, I can personally guarantee your crew and approach will only improve.  As the weeks roll on, the improvements start to stack and grow at crazy speeds.  It’s not a race.  That’s what I had to learn.

There are some really awesome people on these very forums that will immedately answer any question someone has, from who to pick on a behold to why they can’t dismiss crew.  We all love Trek, that’s why we are here. I keep getting humbly reminded that the community on this forum is but a small percentage of the player base, and most don’t know anything outside of Universal Chat (yuck) exists. I alluded to it earlier, but there are some kick-ass resources I *highly* recommend taking advantage of:

The Star Trek Timelines Wiki - ran by players, maintained by players.  Anything and everything you could want to know.
The Star Trek Timelines subreddit - I am now in charge of /r/StarTrekTimelines with a few other folks and we are just getting started on re-vamping it to be another hub of information and community growth.
The Star Trek Timelines Discord Chat room - Ran by the aforementioned Merwinian, it’s a giant 24/7 chat app with people from every fleet, new and old, there to talk the game, help each other and try and grow our overall experience.  The link is in his forum signature.

Anyone who is a lurker or just new to the forums but ever wanted to get more out of their enjoyment - reach out.  We are an awesome community of players who welcome anyone who wants to join in.

And maybe 3 cheaters.

< 1 2 3 4 5 > 
3 of 5