NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Shuttle Mission / Success Chances
Posted: 11 January 2017 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-11-30

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but after searching a bit I didn’t see anything.

I’ve noticed that the more crew I pile into a shuttle the worse those crew members talents seem to get.

As you could see if this system would allow me to attach a .JPG, each member of this away team has a 26% or better chance of success by themselves, but as I add in more members, their collective chances go down.

The mission is Hirogen: Negotiate Hunting Rights (Sci/Sec/Com/Dip)

Subcommander T’Pol alone shows 26%
Mirror K’Ehleyr alone shows 30%
Klingon Dukat alone shows 26%
Mirror Uhura alone shows 27%

All together I get a 79% chance of success.

What’s up with that?

26 + 30 + 26 + 27 ≠ 79

Posted: 11 January 2017 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2016-05-11

Agreed, the success rate should be 109%. I’d open a ticket….

smile

There was a pretty extensive post that reviewed shuttle chances (and many, many more complaining about RNG) - keep searching, it will explain.

Posted: 11 January 2017 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2016-05-14

Yep, built-in diminishing returns.

Some very dedicated math people managed to crack the exact equation: http://startrektimelineswiki.com/wiki/Faction_Missions

But in standard English: just putting any warm bodies in the crew slots, you’re starting with a 15% chance of success (this is why people have noticed 0% missions actually succeeding), then you are slightly “over-paying” up to about 25%... from ~25% to ~75%, the relationship between skill points and chance of success are almost perfectly evenly correlated… but starting around 75%, you start over-paying again (high powered crew result in a reduced increase in success chances) and after 85%, the over-pay is not worth it on harder missions unless you have an absolutely gigantic crew of FF/FE 4* and 5*. And even then, on harder missions, it’s virtually impossible to get the success meter to read “100%.” The best you can do is 99%, because that’s how far the returns diminish.

So: you have a final slot on your first shuttle, and playing your 650 skill crew brings you up to 83%, but playing your 600 skill crew brings you to 81%. Your mileage may vary, but in that case, my play is always to put the 650 crew on a second shuttle, where the incremental 50 points might be worth 5 or more percentage points on my success chances.

Signature 

Fleet: The United Federation of Pragmatists
No crew strength/monetary/social requirements other than being an active casual player who likes getting extra stuff from fleet goals/starbase rewards. ALWAYS hiring.

Posted: 11 January 2017 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2016-11-30
Braindead - 11 January 2017 03:28 PM

smile

There was a pretty extensive post that reviewed shuttle chances (and many, many more complaining about RNG) - keep searching, it will explain.

I just went through 6 pages of search results on the word “shuttle” and did find a very long thread whose topic was about the frustrations of failing a bunch of missions above 80% and then everyone explaining for about 7 pages how percentages work.

That’s not what I’m talking about here.

If 4 of us all have 25% of something, and we combine our stuff, we’d have 100% of the whole. In this case my crew had 109% of something (chance of success) and yet when combined it somehow came to only 79%

If there is a thread discussing that particular topic, I’d love to read it. Otherwise, maybe someone can explain in this thread.

Posted: 11 January 2017 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1687
Joined  2016-09-02
Kubiak - 11 January 2017 03:51 PM
Braindead - 11 January 2017 03:28 PM

smile

I just went through 6 pages of search results on the word “shuttle” and did find a very long thread whose topic was about the frustrations of failing a bunch of missions above 80% and then everyone explaining for about 7 pages how percentages work.

That’s not what I’m talking about here.

If 4 of us all have 25% of something, and we combine our stuff, we’d have 100% of the whole. In this case my crew had 109% of something (chance of success) and yet when combined it somehow came to only 79%

If there is a thread discussing that particular topic, I’d love to read it. Otherwise, maybe someone can explain in this thread.

here you go. https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/58083/

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 12 January 2017 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Joined  2016-11-30
p377y7h33f - 11 January 2017 04:35 PM

here you go. https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/58083/

Thanks!