Things you know now that you wish you knew when you first started
Posted: 22 April 2017 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2017-03-19
das411 - 16 April 2017 12:31 PM
garner - 14 April 2017 08:55 AM

Don’t airlock crew if you are well short of your crew limit, you might discover that they are actually useful later on when you see more missions (I airlocked Nurse Kes early when I got Temporal Shift Kes)

I would add that whenever possible, you should try to level up to 100 and vault a character instead of airlocking them, because in theory you could end up needing them later on. Even the one-star cadet versions can be useful for expedition events and for shuttles when they get multiplier bonuses - during the last expedition, the bonus characters were Worf and Harry Kim, and it was very useful to have the 2/2 Worf and even the 1/1 Kim to unlock the lowest level missions after the more difficult ones were done!

And in your case, Nurse Kes is actually one of the better cadets available for the one non-human challenges, IIRC the ones on Thursdays. IF you are on the monthly card and have a particular cadet mission you just can’t finish, definitely take the few minutes to check the faction stores every day because those cadets can be well worth spending a day or two of dilithium on them!

I was able to get Nurse Kes and able to progress the cadets. I have dipped into the stores and paid the dil price for some crew.
I am in a good place with my weekday crew, they need to level up to clear all the nodes and progress into Epic challenges.
It is the Sundays that are still a challenge for me, as I don’t have good CMD alien 3*. But I think I will start spending some dil on second & third stars in the faction stores on teh core 3* I have.

Posted: 13 May 2017 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2016-08-30

I know now that I wanna answer this topic every time I am here.

I wish I’d made friends earlier. Everybody I meet around this game has been legit.

Cheers to this community.

Signature 

—-
[DB]
Need a good, strong fleet? Click here to check out “secret squadron”.

Posted: 14 May 2017 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2016-04-19

What I wished I knew at the start were things that weren’t in the game yet (replicators, arena, gauntlet, freezing crew, honor, dabo, my goodness I’ve been playing this for a while). So instead I’ll just give my $0.02 for new or newish players.

1. If you want to spend, the monthly card is the best value. Generally saving up to buy multiple packs (event packs at that) is best, although a good % of my crew were from random premium packs. I think premium packs are better the newer of a player you are. You just need crew in general. Whereas experienced players have less room for crew and need to be more targeted in who they get.

2. Get those cadet missions unlocked ASAP. Female starfleet alien/half alien cadets are the most efficent (not sure how many of those exist, Ensign Sito Jaxa and Lt. Naomi Wildman come to mind).

3. Use the wiki to know which of your crew are the best (for both shuttles and gauntlet).

4. Gauntlet/Arena are your friend. Dabo too, although not as much.

5. Try to get all of the daily mission bonuses you can every day.

6. Replicate the annoying hard-to-farm items that aren’t expensive.

7. Expanding your shuttles to at least three is important. If you don’t have a specific place to send them, Section 31, Hyrogen (spelling?) and Terran missions generally give the best loot. Especially Section 31 if you need their items.

8. You can sorta game the system during Faction events by saving chronotons from at least Wednesday’s Cadet missions. I assume everybody does this?

9. When in doubt, farm 0 star generic Starfleet uniforms (you’ll need hundreds if not thousands of them).

10. Keep some credits/merits in reserve.

11. If you can watch an ad for a free warp, find the most chronoton-expensive mission you need to farm from and do that.

12. If you don’t have a specific crewmember you want to level up, it’s never a bad idea to level up and freeze some of your lesser crew to make space.

Signature 

Adult Swim Fleet

100 crew immortalized. 44% to Kahless.

“The truth is usually an excuse for a lack of imagination” - Elim Garak

Posted: 15 May 2017 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  525
Joined  2016-04-16
Bigstupidgrin - 14 May 2017 09:49 PM

8. You can sorta game the system during Faction events by saving chronotons from at least Wednesday’s Cadet missions. I assume everybody does this?

Actually…the doing of this will vary by the goals of the individual.  For example I never do this because I do not wish to miss out on the Chronitons that would have been earned while over cap.  Depending how far ahead you hit cap, you could be missing out on 120…240…or more Chronitons that you would have earned.  For some people that do not care about this, yes it can be a good strategy, just that I will not do it myself. YMMV

Signature 

= EXODUS =

Posted: 16 May 2017 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2016-08-30

WISER USE OF CARD DILITHIUM:

Save.

The dabo wheel, at best, should only be used twice. I do once.

Want more chronitons? Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. Buy cadet tickets.

Need to win a contest? Buy more cadet tickets to get boosts, and only do elite missions.

Want premium? Wait for events.

Patience, patience, patience.

USE THE WIKI EVERY DAY:

More accurate than the game stats for missions.

Lets you know in advance who to choose in beholds, and who to prioritize based on FFd stats and your crew’s individual needs.

USE THE GUIDES AND FORUM TOPICS:
Wiki, best minimalist crew for cadet challenges, gauntlet skill guide… this community is full of awesome people who can be helpful as all hell.

Forum checking is your friend. Check daily. For the above, and to know who to unfreeze or level for the next event in advance.

Plus there’s great advice.  This place is troll free, and inaccurate stuff gets corrected by helpful users.

And last but not least, make friends and participate.  You end up learning and enjoying the game more. Even if it’s annoying in the game, this community helps me love and enjoy the game.

Oh, and don’t joke about punch cards that get you free sandwiches.  Mods are cross with sandwich reward cards.

Signature 

—-
[DB]
Need a good, strong fleet? Click here to check out “secret squadron”.

Posted: 17 May 2017 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2017-02-13
{nWo} Spirithawke - 15 May 2017 05:22 PM
Bigstupidgrin - 14 May 2017 09:49 PM

Actually…the doing of this will vary by the goals of the individual.  For example I never do this because I do not wish to miss out on the Chronitons that would have been earned while over cap.  Depending how far ahead you hit cap, you could be missing out on 120…240…or more Chronitons that you would have earned.  For some people that do not care about this, yes it can be a good strategy, just that I will not do it myself. YMMV

To do it or not I guess is debatable, but more importantly, don’t you mean GALAXY events?  Why would you save chrons for Factions?  (I guess you could power-level new event crew you get from threshold rewards…?)

Posted: 17 May 2017 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2016-07-18

This is my annotated compilation collection of some of the best advice (in my opinion) in this thread.

Complete specific crew. It sounds simple, and it is, but it’s important all the same. You’re better off with five crew at level 100 and 10 at level 1 than you are with 15 crew at level 50-60. Who you have will determine which crew to level, but strong CMD/SEC/DIP are a must and putting together the Mon-Wed-Fri cadet crew is also vital.

Check the Wiki. Again, it’s simple, but the information here on drop rates is vital to making the most of your chronitons. Plus, this lets you find out what your crew will look like fully leveled, which lets you know who to focus on.

The monthly card is the best return on your cash. Budgets for this game vary, and it can be played well even on $0, but if you’re in the modest budget range there’s absolutely no question the monthly card is the way to go. You get 3000 crystals for basically the same price as buying 330 directly.

Third and fourth shuttles are the best return on dilithium. Every shuttle brings you resources, trainers, and helps you win events. If you’re debating between buying premium or event portals and adding a shuttle, the shuttle will pay off more in the long run.

If you are going to spend money on packs, know the odds. Some packs (esp. event packs) offer guaranteed characters, which makes it easier to fully fuse specific crew. But you’ll likely get one of the 4* options rather than the much rarer 5* crew. Also: don’t buy a “Best chance” pack unless you’re okay not getting the crew there.

Don’t use shuttle boosts outside events. You just end up making future shuttle missions more difficult - you’ll soon hit a ceiling and to make matters worse you’ll be out of boosts. 

You’re going to run out of crew slots. All those 1* characters you get early on? They get useless pretty fast. Most 2* characters, too, except for those good on cadet challenges. Try not to level up crew like that (you can always go back and get them later if you’re a collector) and instead focus on higher-end characters. This also feeds into premium packs - if you’re a budget player, the more packs you buy the faster you’ll be making tough choices.

Play daily. You need to collect your free rewards daily whether you’re free-to-play or a paying player. If you’re paying, you also have to collect your daily dilithium. As much as possible, try to hit your daily missions for additional rewards.

Play the gauntlet, spin the dabo wheel. Both offer free, useful stuff. The 5,000 credit spin on the dabo wheel is cheap and frequently produces equipment you’ll need. I recommend not spending dilithium on the gauntlet, at which point it becomes a free way to add other items. 

Thanks to ArchieS, Bigstupidgrin, cannabination, DaiMon Darmok, das411, garner, Taran4, all of whom were referenced in the above. For a more general strategic approach (as opposed to tips and tricks above), do check out cannabination’s long explanation.

Posted: 17 May 2017 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2016-07-18

In addition to the annotated and compiled tips and tricks above, I’d like to offer some specific advice for players running off a limited budget (here defined as between $5 US total and $5 US/month). All of this is just my opinion, of course.

On this budget, you’re only ever going to buy one thing: The monthly card. Nothing else is going to come even close to giving you the same return on investment. All those fancy offers and bulk dilithium purchases that rich players can afford? They aren’t for you. The card is where it’s at.

With your dilithium, you will need to buy:

- Shuttles. The third shuttle (750 dilithium) is the single-most important purchase you will make in this game. Save for eight days and then buy it. Even if you limit yourself to a single monthly card ever, this is worth the expenditure. The fourth shuttle (2,500 dilithium) is also worthwhile, but it doesn’t need to be an immediate purchase; it’ll be a while before you have enough crew to man it anyway.

- Crew slots. The first 10 additional slots cost in-game credits, and you will buy them quickly. After that, you’ll pay an ever-increasing amount of dilithium to purchase additional slots, five at a time. There’s no set time frame for purchasing these, but use the Wiki to know how much they’ll cost and keep an eye on how close you are to running out of space in the meantime.

You may also want to buy:

- Guaranteed packs, event or otherwise. Be careful here. Typically an event pack comes with two 4* and one 5* character, and the odds of getting them are 45%/45%/10%, respectively. Sometimes you’ll want specific characters, and that will warrant taking a risk on duplicates, but don’t buy a pack without knowing and being okay with the chances of getting a duplicate. If you’re careful, you can mostly avoid it. Remember that each of these represents a full week of saving. Still, the risk of some duplication is cheaper than going through the faction store if it comes down to that.

- Supply kits or shuttle boosts. If you’re going all-out on an event, either might come in handy. Just make sure you’re buying with a specific purpose. Also, consider whether running cadet missions won’t get you enough shuttle boosts anyway.

- Additional Dabo spins. Remember, the price escalates with each spin of the wheel, and it’s going to cost a fortune if you’re looking for one specific spin. If the board looks good and you have some dilithium to spare, taking a second or even third spin can be justified.

- Cadet tickets on Monday, Wednesday or Friday. If you’ve maxed out EAS, buying six tickets gives you 150 chronitons (plus items) for 150 dilithium. That’s not bad at all if you have a specific need for chronitons (such as during a galaxy event you’ve foolishly decided to play).

You won’t buy:

- Gauntlet recharges. Streak rewards and rank rewards just aren’t that good. Besides, you’re going to get bad rolls that end your streak no matter how carefully you choose your opposition. Don’t blow your precious dilithium fighting RNG.

- 4* or 5* crew from the faction store. The prices are ridiculous. Don’t pay them.

- Items from the faction store. Feel free to spend credits or merits, but don’t blow your hard-saved dilithium on something you can get from running shuttle missions.

- Ship packs. Between Dabo and arena rewards, there really isn’t much need. If you really, really want a specific ship, power to you, but any 5* ship in-game is going to do pretty much everything you need so there’s no point in blowing dilithium chasing a specific one.

- “Best chance” packs. You only have so much dilithium. Save it for event or other guaranteed packs.

- Regular premium portals. You have no control over which 4* or 5* crew you’ll get, so why spend here when you can wait for a guaranteed pack?

- Chronitons directly. Look at how much they cost! What a rip off!

- Credits, arena tickets or scans. They just aren’t worth it.

Posted: 18 May 2017 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-05-15

Lots of good information here. Since I’ve only been playing for two weeks, these may sound very rudimentary. But here’s a few things from me.

- The Faction Events (like Contagion starting today) are free to play! When the first Process of Assimilation event came up two weeks ago I thought you had to pay for it (don’t ask me why) so I missed out entirely. They are a great source of goodies without having to use up your Chronitons.

- Replicate stuff that is hard to get. As mentioned previously, don’t kill yourself trying to get that one almost impossible to get item by playing the same mission twenty or more times….or pay a ridiculous price for an item in a faction shop. Even if you can only replicate one item a day, do that. Besides, you may be doing other things like Cadet Training and that item might just fall into your lap.

- I have saved up all my shuttle boosters for today’s Faction Event, and it can only help, right?

- The way to advance (for me so far) is to relentlessly level up your crew. If you have to do a mission five times to get what you need, do that. You can always go back and complete missions and episodes with a stronger crew, but you can’t advance without a stronger crew.

Gotta go, will stay tuned for today’s event! Can’t wait. Fortune favors the bold.

Signature 

Fleet: Alpha Defense Force [ADF]
Squadron: ADF Red Squad

Posted: 30 May 2017 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2016-08-26

galaxy missions on special events: don’t kill yourself trying to grind items just to move two or three places up the ladder. Use the items to boost your characters, there’ll be other events and you’ll be in a stronger position. The replicator is also a great way to junk those really trashy items instead.

Keep a small reserve of training programs for special events; boosting dropped characters always helps.

Posted: 30 May 2017 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2016-08-26

- Items from the faction store. Feel free to spend credits or merits, but don’t blow your hard-saved dilithium on something you can get from running shuttle missions

Caveat: there are occasions when strong characters, especially multiple fused ones get stuck at level 60, 70 etc because of a really rare item that never drops, despite burning through a day’s worth of chronitons and costs a lot to replicate but the faction store (Cardassians and Hirogen often have items I want most) has them at 25 dilithium. Doing that once or twice isn’t a major hit, especially considering how many multiple drops can be duplicates and until recently, just ended up as a couple of training programs.

Posted: 01 June 2017 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-07-04
Shakaar - 30 September 2016 09:32 PM
Smauggie - 30 September 2016 08:34 PM

That you can press and hold on trainers to “count up” how many to use at one time.

Sonofa… I’m lv 43 and I didn’t know that.

Sympathy, Shakaar…I just recently found out….secondly, off topic, but still just as important….bacon is a many splendored thing…

Q’apla!

Posted: 11 June 2017 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1500
Joined  2017-04-11

One thing I wish I knew before I started spending (which was shortly after I started playing due to an 800% value Ensign offer that popped) is that you can save a lot of money by checking out the prices on the different platforms: Facebook/Android/iOS/Steam.

Over $60 down the drain because I play on Android, not Facebook

Signature 

My 4* & 5* Crew/Ship collection is in my Bio
Gauntlet Crew Top 10s / ‘First to Max’ list / Limited Crew list / Gauntlet Crit Chances
Noobs of the Delta Quadrant [NDQ] fleet officer - Delta Flyer Noobs squadron
United Kingdom. Started playing: 06th Apr 2017

Posted: 26 June 2017 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-06-26

Thanks to you for the information smile

Signature 

Long live the Dominion

Posted: 04 July 2017 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2017-05-15

I’ve been playing a while, but it seems like anything else, you can always learn more all the time.

This past week, I had a surplus of credits, and I figured out you can ‘build’ locked items for the crew prior to them getting to level up to actually ‘Equip’ing them!

Spending a few days off and on with this and I can store up my earned credits to use them on the high level builds, and not have to spend them on the lower level crew for a couple weeks. (Especially helpful with Galaxy event coming up)

Also, for those debating on the 4th shuttle, here are a couple days stats I ran:

Day 1: 3 Shuttles, 18 total missions, 100% success @ average of 7500 training credits per mission
Day 2: 4 shuttles, 26 missions with 2 fails, @ average of 6000 training credits per mission

If you are in a fleet, ALWAYS check your fleet missions stats right before the day refreshes, so you don’t lose Honor Hall points.

Cheers!

‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 > 
7 of 8