< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
Things you know now that you wish you knew when you first started
Posted: 02 October 2016 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2016-08-07

This is a game of resource management. Items, credits, chronitons, faction missions, and patience need to be effectively allocated to play the game without going crazy or broke. Know right now that while DB has made some effort, the interface of the game is not designed to help you navigate the minefield of resource sinks. The game will tell you all the various missions that can give you a 2* casing, but it’s up to you to learn which one is the one that gives you the best chroniton/drop ratio. The game will tell you 5 items that the 1* prime directive you just got can make, but not necessarily the ones you’ll need for that enterprise E Picard you just pulled. DB doesn’t care about you, so it’s up to you to determine your play experience. The entire game is based on the whims of RNGeezus, it can be extremely brutal if you do it wrong.

As someone else already mentioned, do a little research before you get anywhere near your crew limit. It’s good to learn early how to prioritize crew so you don’t end up airlocking Sito because you don’t like Bajorans, or taking purple Worf over Troi or Phlox in a behold because you like his character. Various things go into this, mainly the top end number of their stats, traits that unlock certain nodes that prevent you from moving to a tougher difficulty on a mission, and ease of leveling. It’s also good to know which characters are complete shite so you can airlock them immediately rather than wasting precious resources on them. For example, it’s super tempting to fire every Neelix you get out the airlock immediately, but you can fuse a fully fused Neelix with a 1/3 Tuvok to create Tuvix, a very strong 4* Sec/Dip character with a crazy list of traits. Don’t airlock either of those characters until you have a 4* Tuvix.

Make a plan. Evaluate your goals and needs pretty often so you don’t get stuck on a character for so long that they can do missions that no other characters in your crew can really go on, or spread yourself so thin that you feel like you’re wasting your time and chronitons. Knowing when to switch from your focus from your core crew to your cadets is something you’ll get comfortable with over time, but have at least a loose idea of what you’re trying to accomplish before you start spending chronitons. Know the items that are toughest so you can decide whether you should replicate that Micro-Resonator or 1* Prime Directive, and what to hold onto rather than equipping on the first character that lights up.

Get your cadets to where they can do the elite challenges asap. Obviously epic would be better, but that takes a while even if you focus on nothing else. Elite challenge missions drop many useful items in addition to the better rewards.

Don’t use shuttle boosts outside shuttle events. The missions just keep getting more difficult if you keep succeeding, so you’re basically just wasting that boost by ensuring you will fail the next set of shuttles you send if you needed it to succeed. Definitely pick up the 3rd shuttle bay as soon as you can, and if you don’t have any faction in particular to farm, send Section 31. You will inevitably need hundreds of 1* security codes and holoprograms, may as well get started now. Also, visit the faction centers daily(reset is at the same time as the Dabo wheel). It can be worth spending dilithium at these(would you spin the dabo wheel hoping to get that item? If not, do not spend dilithium), but typically you want to hold out for items you can purchase with merits, which you will have aplenty.

If you’re going to spend money on the game outside the monthly card, do so on the event bundles that show up thursday, friday, and saturday. In addition to event packs(which always come with some kind of guarantee), you get chronitons, credits, and dilithium. Google the characters in the event and make sure you actually need them unless they’re your favorite guy and you just want them regardless of strength. If you do, the bundles are all quite solid on the deals. The $100 comes with 2 of the 5* characters, 1k chronitons, and 10 event packs. The $50 is 1/5*, 500 chrons, and 5 event packs. The $25 is 2/4 of the final reward purple, 500 chrons, and 5 event packs. I typically go with the latter if I’m going to get one because its cheaper and it’s easy to justify 5 $5 packs with all that extra loot. If you go with the $25 pack, never take a purple event character in a behold, as you will likely get enough of them through the event rewards that you will airlock a few anyway. The more expensive bundles are better if money isn’t an issue.

Even if it is, grabbing a $25 event pack early in your play is a great way to build up some crew to work on that you can be sure will be strong and worth your time(just not this event… the characters are all basically the same, and require all the same stuff to equip them). Almost any fully fused 4 or 5* character is going to be worth your time. Also, it will bump up your VIP a touch which will give you some much needed crew slots and increase your replications per day.

Look ahead at the rewards in the events. Spending chronitons/replications on an item you’re going to get as a reward in 3 event successes is dumb, and will make you feel dumb. Aside from the early items that go with the green characters, typically you’ll want to save such reward items for the event characters even if one of your high priority characters wants it. If you have any interest in doing well in the event, anyway. Some events you’ll want to skip because you just don’t care about the characters.

Save Val Jean parts, Warbird parts, and whichever 5* ship you really care about and use the rest as replicator food. Between the dabo wheel and packs you’ll have ship parts for days that you really don’t care about. There’s rumor of a use for ships other than your main ship and your pvp ships in the works, but hanging on to thousands of 3* ship parts in the hopes that it will be worthwhile is a lost opportunity.

Signature 

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
-Lord Wizzlestix I

Posted: 02 October 2016 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2016-07-06
Darxide - 30 September 2016 07:55 PM

It’s extremely sad and disappointing that I have to say this, but responses like “Don’t play the game, hur dur dur” and “Don’t spend money on this game” are not acceptable and will be viewed as trolling. Those are personal preferences that don’t impact gameplay tactics and strategies in any meaningful fashion. Please be respectful of the community at large and don’t be a troll. Don’t like the game? Goodbye, have a nice life, but we don’t need to hear about it.

I don’t think you actually understand what “trolling” is. Trolling is more about posting inflammatory responses with the deliberate intent of provoking an emotional response. If that is their true opinion and they’re just giving an honest answer… well, just because you don’t like it or even don’t feel it’s productive, doesn’t make it trolling. Hell, even if they’re out-right being a jerk doesn’t necessarily make it trolling.

Incidentally, “Don’t spend money on the game” IS a valid and impactful strategy if one doesn’t feel the monetary offerings have been of good value to their gameplay and may help others from stumbling into the trap of overpaying for something that isn’t worth it.

As far as what I wish I knew?

Definitely not to spend beyond the monthly card; the price to in-game advantage ratio just isn’t there with how the prices are set.

Don’t get too caught up in the Arena. When I first started, I fretted over those schematics because “my ship sucked.” So I tried to work hard at the arena to get them. Now I realize they aren’t that big a deal and, once you get a ship that can handle the higher end story missions, barely matter at all.

Don’t airlock Neelix and Tuvok; I’m sure I tossed at least 2 before realizing that yes, I should actually try for a Tuvix.

Always check the Wiki for the best place to farm any item.

Don’t do the Epic on the women’s cadet day; the elite really gives better rewards. I missed out on a lot of shuttle boosts trying to get epic.

Oh, and while I never personally fell into this particular trap, it’s still good to know: Especially don’t buy “Best Chance of” packs. They will only make you angry, frustrated, and broke. Even if you are going to spend money, this isn’t the smart strategic way to spend your Dil.

Posted: 02 October 2016 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  355
Joined  2016-06-26
Intellectual Fury - 01 October 2016 03:08 PM
Darxide - 01 October 2016 02:49 PM
Intellectual Fury - 01 October 2016 01:51 PM

To not play this game.

It’s not Star Trek in any meaningful way.

It promotes a Culture of Waste to a greater extent than I have ever experienced.

Then you should quit and also leave the forums, but most importantly stop trolling my thread Illogical Fury.

I’m sure it’s impossible to convince you but I do not troll - ever. I mean what I say and I am not trying to upset anyone.

I also never quit anything - ever. I put time & money into this game and I am now obligated to continue to play the game, even though it is extremely frustrating. And I do not waste time or money.  Quitting would mean all the time & money I spent would be wasted. That is something I cannot allow. 

So I will continue to vent and complain on these boards, as it relieves some small amount of my stress that there is a 1/1000000 chance that it may help change the game. 

Sorry if you disapprove.  But you did ask the question.

I’m sorry, but that is broken logiic. If you don’t enjoy it, you are sinking more of your time into and is making your issue worse every day. I once told another forum user he should quit for the same reason. It isn’t to be mean. Instead, it is to say that there are plenty of other things to do and you should spend further time and money doing those.

As for those who used this as another thread to complain, your point as been made and that is not what the OP intended. At this point, you should let this thread be.

To answer your question, the additional shuttles are game changing, particularly for shuttle events. You get more resources and more runs and it is infinitely helpful.

Posted: 02 October 2016 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  440
Joined  2015-09-25

I don’t have anything to contribute that hasn’t already been said. I just wanted to thank cannabination for that amazing detailed and well thought out post. It’s a real example of the best this community can produce and sure to come in handy for many players.

Kudos cannabination!

Signature 

Fleet member - Quark’s Holosuite

Posted: 02 October 2016 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2016-08-26
cannabination - 02 October 2016 12:46 AM

This is a game of resource management. Items, credits, chronitons, faction missions, and patience need to be effectively allocated to play the game without going crazy or broke.

Wow.  This is one of the best and most informational posts I have read on this forum.  Many players here are very willing to share their experience with those who are not as familiar with the ins-and-outs of this game, and I am grateful to all of you for volunteering excellent information like this!

Posted: 02 October 2016 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  681
Joined  2016-06-07

One thing I would like to add.  I sort of said it, but the negative posts have made me want want to say it again.

Be careful how you spend time and money on the game, especially until you get a feeling for whether your expenditures of both are in keeping with what you really want.  This game can be addictive, and lure us into spending more time and more money than we intend to.  It is a great, fun game, as long as those factors can be kept in balance.  Don’t end up like the people who have invested so much of both that they should probably quit, even though they are refusing to.

Posted: 02 October 2016 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1395
Joined  2016-03-31
Brother Captain Archangel - 02 October 2016 06:56 AM
Darxide - 01 October 2016 02:49 PM
Intellectual Fury - 01 October 2016 01:51 PM

To not play this game.

It’s not Star Trek in any meaningful way.

It promotes a Culture of Waste to a greater extent than I have ever experienced.

Then you should quit and also leave the forums, but most importantly stop trolling my thread Illogical Fury.

I’m sure it’s impossible to convince you but I do not troll - ever. I mean what I say and I am not trying to upset anyone.

I also never quit anything - ever. I put time & money into this game and I am now obligated to continue to play the game, even though it is extremely frustrating. And I do not waste time or money.  Quitting would mean all the time & money I spent would be wasted. That is something I cannot allow. 

So I will continue to vent and complain on these boards, as it relieves some small amount of my stress that there is a 1/1000000 chance that it may help change the game. 

I’m sorry, but that is broken logiic. If you don’t enjoy it, you are sinking more of your time into and is making your issue worse every day. I once told another forum user he should quit for the same reason. It isn’t to be mean. Instead, it is to say that there are plenty of other things to do and you should spend further time and money doing those.

As for those who used this as another thread to complain, your point as been made and that is not what the OP intended. At this point, you should let this thread be.

To answer your question, the additional shuttles are game changing, particularly for shuttle events. You get more resources and more runs and it is infinitely helpful.

Honestly, I cannot defend my “logic” as I understand the way I play is probably irrational.  But it is the pattern I have fallen into. I do know that the finality of quitting would be worse. It’s kinda like losses “on paper” in the stock market.  If your stock price drops but you do not sell they are unrealized losses, and really doesn’t count as a loss unless you sell and “quit” the stock. Also, if you stay and hold onto the stock the price can rebound and you can get your money back and even make a profit.  That’s how I feel here. That the game will come around and rebound at some point and make the frustration and money and time spent worth it. 

Hope that makes sense.

Posted: 02 October 2016 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-08-07

A few other things that are basic concepts I hadn’t thought to mention, but are vital in prioritizing your characters.

It doesn’t matter in the slightest when you add stars to a character. Adding a star increases the amount of points each character gains per level. If you level a 1/3 character to 20 she might gain 2 of her prime stat in 15 of those levels and 1 on the remaining 5, let’s say 35 points. A 3/3 character will gain 4-6 in their prime stat per level, let’s say 100 points. If you were to fully fuse the 1/3, the stats gained would be the exact difference between her 1/3 stats and those of the 3/3 version from the second example.

That said, you’ll most often want to focus on the characters with more stars, as you’re getting more bang for your buck in the short term. This will make the most meaningful difference in your ability to immediately progress in the game, provided you aren’t leveling some ridiculously useless character.

So we’re clear out of the gate, long term it is always best to level your purple or yellow crew. Inevitably, regardless of play style, you will add stars to the characters over time. A very small list of blue characters remain relevant once you’re going after epic missions with checks in the upper 600s, let alone 1k+. At that point they will only be useful for shuttle missions and events outside a few very specific examples. Hopefully DB will add something new to do with them at some point like the cadet missions, but they haven’t as yet. You basically want to build up a single character that’s strong in each attribute, and you want to pick the right guy from your available pool.

The things that make a character strong aren’t always immediately obvious, and often the things you prize higher than others will evolve as you collect a better, more rounded crew. Obviously the minimum, average, and maximum rolls are very important as you get into the end game, many of the best characters are very average until lvl 90. Hit up one of the amazing spreadsheets in the sticky thread in this forum for that info.

Traits are extremely important when you’re building your crew. The bonus traits on each mission can make the difference between success and failure, but more importantly and more often they will determine the difference between a success and a critical success, which is how you get the rare items and 3 star the mission so you can warp it should you so desire. Many traits are relatively worthless. Maverick, Gambler, Geneticist, Desperate, Survivor, and Telepath(annoyingly) leap immediately to mind. That isn’t to say there’s no use for them, but there are either so few missions that utilize them or so many characters who have them that the traits slip in value. Diplomat, Duelist, Undercover Operative, Innovator, Pilot, Inspiring, Prodigy, and Tactician, however, are so often bonus traits that you will find yourself gravitating toward characters with these traits. Then there are traits that fall in the middle… namely the sciences and races. Astrophysicist, Quantum Mechanics, and Warp Theorist come up fairly often, as do the prime ST races. You likely will never see Denobulan, but Klingon, Vulcan, Cardassian, Bajoran, etc pop up all the time. These are icing on the cake of a good character, but will not make an otherwise bad character into a good one.

What will make a bad character good are key traits. Many of the locks on the missions are opened by traits that are quite common and aren’t typically a consideration. A few, though, are tough to find paired with certain attributes(Interrogator on a medical character, for example) and should never be passed up. Mirror Phlox, Drunk Troi, Rakal Troi, and the Founder are examples of characters with unique or near enough pairings that you basically cannot pass on them should you find them in a behold with other characters you might like better, or might objectively BE better.

Ease of leveling typically revolves around the character’s race, which can develop a very painful reliance on RNG to get a character moving. A Romulan will be inherently more difficult to level than a Human because the only way to get many of the items you need for a Romulan are through 3 hour long shuttle missions with very large item pools. A starfleet human will typically only need component parts, which makes you rely on a different RNG which can be equally painful, but is at least something you can actively work for.

The replicator is an amazing addition to the game, and needs to be used strategically. In addition to faction items that are obviously tricky, there is a laundry list full of items that are a massive PITA to farm. Given the character limit on this post, you’re just gonna have to use one of the handy sites in the sticky to find those. What you do not want is to dump chronitons into a 0* item with an 80:1 chroniton to drop ratio. Replicating 0* items is cheap in regards to both fuel and credits. When you find yourself trying to make a 2* item that requires 4 encoded communiques or science experiments, you’ll be faced with the decision of dumping hundreds of chronitons into it, or just replicating the 2* item. Case by case. When you’re rolling as you rank up a chracter it can be tempting to replicate stuff that just requires a ton of common components. This is a trap. Farm those common components at the right places to work on other characters at the same time.

Keep your core crew around the same level and always progress until the checks are too high. The full chrons and max chron increase when leveling you gain a cpt level make it a waste of your time to level characters when you can progress. The higher your level, the more max chronitons you have to farm once you *need* to. Once you get a decent(3+ star) ship, be sure to do the elite and epic space battles asap. Loads of XP for you and typically better drop items. Your ship will be able to handle it.

The game makes it hard to have fun at times. Find it where you can.

Signature 

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
-Lord Wizzlestix I

Posted: 02 October 2016 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-08-07

Also, it must be said that many of the tough to acquire 0* items can come from cadet missions MUCH more reliably than through farming. Either wait for the right challenge to pop up, or replicate. Trying to actively farm 4 encoded communiques will cause you to gain dark side points irl.

Signature 

-Lord Wizzlestix I

Posted: 02 October 2016 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  556
Joined  2016-07-30

But you do, and this isn’t the first thread you’ve trolled in.

You aren’t obligated to do anything. You’re here by choice so telling people not to do something you are doing is just stupid hypocrisy

Venting and complaining are fine, but that isn’t exactly what you’re doing here. Sorry if you disagree, but those are the fact.

Signature 

My Crew Quarters

Prolific STT Wiki contributor.

Star Trek is a work of fiction. All characters in this game are fake. If you believe otherwise, please seek professional help. We care about you.

Posted: 02 October 2016 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2016-09-04
(FF) Q <Uni-Zero> - 01 October 2016 09:57 AM

I see people are running out of trainers

If you have four shuttles and buy 75 merit transmissions during faction events the 75merit transmissions can be bought as many times as you like instead of once per 24hrs. I hope this helps those with[out] trainers. I have 175 slots and can’t burn them [trainers] quick enough I thought I’d share with the rest of the community

The bonus in buying extra faction transmissions during events helps to honour factions quicker too I’ve only two factions left to honour at this stage

Great strategy,

Partial list
Hirogen runs cough up casings so stockpiling those missions is a good idea. Canabination above suggests running Sec 31 missions for holoprograms etc., Maquis for encoded communiques, Cardassian for data bases, Federation IDICs.

Posted: 02 October 2016 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2016-09-06

What exactly makes someone better at shuttle missions that away team?

Finally getting a decent enough roster to fill 3 shuttles so now I’m curious what the strategies are there, not so much during events but just in general.

Posted: 02 October 2016 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2016-09-04
Captain Mavius - 02 October 2016 03:23 PM

Finally getting a decent enough roster to fill 3 shuttles so now I’m curious what the strategies are there, not so much during events but just in general.

Try keeping track of three passes up and two fails down during events. Someone just pointed this out today. It helps keep your mission vp’s higher. If you get a fail, try to open the next finished mission that you know is the best chance of a pass. Otherwise make notes, and start another high chance of pass mission and open it before the others.

Sorry I miss read your question. Others will be able to answer that better, but 100 FF/FE crew generally. 2*s often end up on my shuttles. Aviator Yar and 1701 Jadzia are beasts on shuttles.

Posted: 02 October 2016 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  982
Joined  2016-05-05
Captain Mavius - 02 October 2016 03:23 PM

Base stats is what the shuttles are based on

Random roll is useful in the missions

To explain:

Tuvik for me has a base Dip of 465 and his random is between 89-225 so for shuttles he goes in at 465, but when doing a mission he gets minimum 554 maximum 960

Mirror Uhura has a base of (for me) 461 and her random right now is between 139-323 so her minimum mission is 600 max 784. 

So if a mission node calls for 605 DIP - even though as it sits on the list Tuvik is higher in DIP Uhura has a better shot at completing that node in a mission, however, if I am sending out a shuttle Tuvik is who I would send to have a better chance of completing (although not by a lot at these numbers)

I hope that clarifies!

Posted: 02 October 2016 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1636
Joined  2016-09-02

some of the replies in this thread are priceless. it easily deserves to be stickied.

one piece of advice i haven’t seen mentioned here is how useful rare rewards can be. instead of spending hundreds of chronitons on the more difficult items, you could just find that 3* Flux Coupler or Central Command Uniform in the wiki and go pick it up at a fraction of the cost. keep in mind that the mission list in the game will offer you rare reward spots at the very bottom, but not if the item can be built from lesser components. you have to check the wiki for a rare reward opportunity manually.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 9