1 2 3 >  Last ›
Things you know now that you wish you knew when you first started
Posted: 30 September 2016 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2016-07-30

I’m wondering what kinds of things the veterans here would say that they wished they knew when they first started, or things that you think someone starting right now might want to know about the game that they won’t discover for a while.

I’ve only been around for about three months, but already I’ve discovered that I should have leveled my cadets a lot more early on. I ended up buying my first monthly card about 2-3 weeks into playing and when I bought my first 10x pull, I suddenly forgot that my cadets existed. This turned out to be a “bad thing™” since it made getting shuttle boosts much more difficult and it cut into the bonus Chrons I was getting.

Even now, I find I only have one FF/FE cadet and one other at level 90 (with the last four equipments crafted) awaiting spare trainers so that I can get to 99 to FE. Early on, I would level my crew up to 70 or 80 and then stop as the XP curve really ramps up at that point and I decided to spend trainers elsewhere rather than finishing the leveling process. What I didn’t realize was that there is probably as much stat growth from 70-100 as there is from 1-70, so I was missing out on nearly half of these characters stats.

Edit: If you’re only here to troll this thread or to hijack this thread for your own personal complaints (which is just trolling by another name) then don’t. Make your own thread or just keep it to yourself. If you’re only here to tell people to not spend money on the game, that’s still trolling. If you want to advise people on the best ways to spend any money that they decide to spend on the game, that’s absolutely what this thread is for. Don’t tell people how and when to spend money, instead post the kind of information that allows them to make the best decision for themselves.

Signature 

My Crew Quarters

Prolific STT Wiki contributor.

Star Trek is a work of fiction. All characters in this game are fake. If you believe otherwise, please seek professional help. We care about you.

Posted: 30 September 2016 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  681
Joined  2016-06-07

Get your best crew in each skill to Level 100 as soon as possible.  And don’t neglect those 2* cadets.  Level them to 100 as well.  They will serve you very well for your second or third shuttle crew, and for the Events that you do missions for.

Posted: 30 September 2016 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  982
Joined  2016-05-05

Save your money, you will enjoy the game more if you don’t waste money on this digital content that provides no true value.  VIP is a joke

I disagree with Taran4 about leveling the best of each class to level 100 - level 99 gives you all items, but only get there if you can equip the items.  Diplomacy and Security are now the biggest Shuttle crew requests, so make sure those are strong.  Medical is not as much, so you can do that one slower.

Cadet missions, therefor crew, is good - especially the Mon-Wed-Friday crew - once you can get to the 3rd level you can get 25 Chroni’s each completion.  This helps with EVERYTHING else.

So that all being said if I started now, knowing what I do now, then…

I would NOT spend anything more than a monthly card - ever (until they fix VIP it isn’t worth it)

I would level my cadet crew as fast as possible so I can do cadet challenges (I did not do that first I did normal crew first and I didn’t do cadet challenges for ages because I didn’t level my 2*‘s)

Then level the crew that performed best on shuttles (high base skills versus ‘dice rolls)

Then the rest

- that’s what I would do -

Posted: 30 September 2016 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-09-30

That you can press and hold on trainers to “count up” how many to use at one time.

Posted: 30 September 2016 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1448
Joined  2016-03-30

- Always be sure to check the wiki for drop rates, even on common items like casing/polyalloys but ESPECIALLY on tougher ones like Calipers

- play your daily missions EVERY DAY to build up merits and chrons

- try to use all of your allowed replicator uses every day, even if you’re only making casings/polyalloys, because eventually you will run out of something

- focus focus focus! If you’re working on someone who needs, say, 16 uniforms, and you warp-10 a mission and get 24 unis, don’t get distracted by putting uniforms on everyone else who lights up…

- be careful when using trainers - if you’re close to a bottleneck, don’t use a 2500 when a 500 and a 100 will do!

Posted: 30 September 2016 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2016-02-25
Smauggie - 30 September 2016 08:34 PM

That you can press and hold on trainers to “count up” how many to use at one time.

Sonofa… I’m lv 43 and I didn’t know that.

Posted: 30 September 2016 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1654
Joined  2016-09-02

never immortalize Ambassador Neelix or Security Chief Tuvok, and don’t build their lvl 90-99 items. don’t airlock any of their copies either.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 30 September 2016 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2016-02-04

Only buy the monthly card.

Purchase a third and fourth shuttle as soon as you can afford it.

Don’t buy any premium pack except guaranteed event packs (and even then, only the guaranteed packs with two characters).

Use the replicator sparingly- only use it for items with high chroniton costs or faction-only items.

Sit down and do the math on trainers- only use as many as you need.

Use warp sparingly- you’ll need all the credits you can get for crafting Epic and Legendary items. It may take longer, but it’s better to manually play through the missions if you can.

Signature 

Disruptor Beam at court, the court of silence.

VIP 12

Admiral of the 7th Tactical Wing

Member of the VIP 0 Heroes as Darmok Mk 0.5

Posted: 30 September 2016 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2016-08-16
Shakaar - 30 September 2016 09:32 PM

Level 33 here and I did not know this either. WOW. Could have shortened my travels toward the land of repetitive stress injuries by so much! XD

Posted: 30 September 2016 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2016-05-05

Counterintuitively, the price of nearly everything purchased goes up the more of it you purchase. Realize that if you do decide to start spending, for example, the 2nd 5 extra crew slots will cost more than than the 1st, and each 5 will be progressively more expensive (first an enourmous amount of credits for a new player, then an enormous amount of dilithium). The same is true for dilithium to buy credits, dabo spins, and probably some other stuff I can’t remember or never purchased.

Signature 

[TUFG] The LGBT+ Alliance (sister squad to The United Federation of Gays)
Squadron Leader of Queer Space Rangers

Level 58 - VIP 10 (currently F2P unless I get some good 10x premium pull deals)
Immortalized: 188 (most recent is Antaak)

Posted: 30 September 2016 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3146
Joined  2016-01-30
suntzu86 - 30 September 2016 10:17 PM

Level 33 here and I did not know this either. WOW. Could have shortened my travels toward the land of repetitive stress injuries by so much! XD

It’s actually kind of new. I think it was added less than 2 months ago.

Posted: 30 September 2016 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  274
Joined  2016-04-03

First wish I would have known Cadet’s would actually be useful.  As I airlocked them… only to get again.  Don’t think new players will have this issue, but before airlocking a cadet look at how good they are some for daily challanges are quite powerful.

Other thing I wish I knew was don’t try to collect all characters.  This was my goal but eventually learning that this game does not make it easy. Collect strong characters and focus on them.  And rotate what your leveling you really need a crew of all categories and multiple in each.

Posted: 01 October 2016 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2016-07-30
South of Sulu - 30 September 2016 10:25 PM

It’s actually kind of new. I think it was added less than 2 months ago.

Whatever update was before 1.4.0 is the one that added it.

das411 - 30 September 2016 08:51 PM

- try to use all of your allowed replicator uses every day, even if you’re only making casings/polyalloys, because eventually you will run out of something

DaiMon Darmok - 30 September 2016 10:10 PM

Use the replicator sparingly- only use it for items with high chroniton costs or faction-only items.

Getting mixed signals here. :p

Another one that I would personally add from experience: Plan out your cadets well in advance. Know who to keep and who to airlock. There are a lot of cadets and many of them are not very useful, so avoid wasting time, chrons, trainers, and equipment on them. Threads like this one are invaluable. As a new player, you won’t be able to go after the “best” cadet lineup and instead you will have to go with the most efficient (making use of characters who can do two or three of the challenges). Only once you have opened up more crew slots and can afford to go for those elusive nodes should you worry about adding in the extra cadets.

An example of what I mean is Telek R’Mor is the best 2* SCI crew you can get, but he is only useful on Alien days. Pazlar on the other hand can be used on all three challenges, so while her SCI is lower than R’Mor, she is much more efficient and can still clear pretty much all SCI nodes.

Nobody gave me this advice early on so now I have a Data, R’Mor, and Yar who are all FF and level 80 or higher that I can’t bear to airlock until I’ve immortalized. That’s a lot of wasted time, chrons, trainers, and equipment, not to mention three crew slots that are being taken up.

Signature 

My Crew Quarters

Prolific STT Wiki contributor.

Star Trek is a work of fiction. All characters in this game are fake. If you believe otherwise, please seek professional help. We care about you.

Posted: 01 October 2016 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2016-10-01

I wish I knew I could use my game login user/pass to also log into these forums! I created a separate account for the forums and only just realise they could be linked. So I decided to recreate my forum account as per my game account in case it proves useful for them to be linked

Signature 

Chief Engineer

The Guardians of Tomorrow

Protecting the galaxy’s future from itself

Posted: 01 October 2016 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-06-07
Darxide - 01 October 2016 12:30 AM
South of Sulu - 30 September 2016 10:25 PM
das411 - 30 September 2016 08:51 PM

DaiMon Darmok - 30 September 2016 10:10 PM

Getting mixed signals here

I think it depends on your play style.

People who love to do Warp 10 have hundreds and hundreds of useless items that can best be useful as replicator fuel.  They should use the replicator as frequently as possible to make common/frequently used items.

People like me who only do single warps in order to save chronitons and avoid getting extra items do not have stacks of replicator fuel.  At Captain Lev. 39 I only have 3-4 items with over 100 in a stack.  So I use the replicator very sparingly.  I use it for faction-only items when I am in a hurry to level a character, or for drops with very high chroniton cost.

Posted: 01 October 2016 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-06-07

Don’t ever buy dilithium just to raise your VIP level.  The real benefits of a higher VIP level are very limited. You get more crew slots.  That is pretty much it.  Otherwise, you are just allowed to buy more, for a higher price for each additional purchase of a given type.  The wiki has a good chart on crew slots and VIP level.  (Higher maximum chronitons is linked to Captain level, not VIP level.)

Buy a monthly card and use it carefully.  It gives you thirty dilithium per month for around $4.  That means you can budget and get extra shuttles, a couple of dabo spins a day, an occasional extra MWF cadet ticket pack (90-150 extra chronitons), and even a more than a few event or premium ten-pulls over the course of a few monthly tickets.  Be VERY careful regarding extra expenditures.  It doesn’t feel like much when you spring for that extra event pack or premium 10-pull, but it can add up to a LOT in the course of a month.

Collect your daily reward every day.  You get free crew, and useful odds and ends.    But if you miss days you may miss out on the free 1/4.  This crew runs four months in a row the same one, so if you collect them all, you will have a decent 4/4 after four months.  And there is also a good 3/3 offered each month.

Have fun, watch what you spend, and when it’s not fun any more, it is time to stop playing, regardless of how much you have spent.  I still love the game, and after six months playing, hope to do so for a long time to come.

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 9