NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Interesting read on addictive gaming.
Posted: 22 September 2016 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14

From Richard Garfield of MTG fame.  Sorry for Facebook, but it’s where he originally posted.

A lot we can learn as Gamers by looking through this lens.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/richard-garfield/a-game-players-manifesto/1049168888532667

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 25 September 2016 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2016-05-07

Stellar read. Thanks for the link.

Signature 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posted: 05 October 2016 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2016-10-02

Good post.

Posted: 06 October 2016 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2016-08-30

That behavioral model describes me perfectly.

Bad health for years, stressful life situations, prone to addictive behavior, fixed income that lacked any savings for a while because it kept going into my Play account

I swore I wasn’t going to spend money past the $4 monthoy fee, but someone who owed me money, I had them get me $100 gift card last night.

No legendaries, not one out of a hundred dollars in gift cards. It’s been clear for a while that the odds are going up and up in every conceivable way, in every aspect of the game. I got eight or so “beholds”, maybe two were useful.

Addiction is a disease, albeit a self-inflicted one, like cirrhosis, lung disease, or diabetes. It’s technically the addict’s fault, yes, but nobody’s yelling at your obese grandmother who has to ride a cart in the grocery store, or your uncle with lung disease for driving up our healthcare budget or being weak-willed. Hell, there’s marathons for lung cancer and diabetes. I always found that funny.

Some things alter your brain chemistry. I’ve messed up in life because of it before, and that article just snapped me out of denial. Yes, it’s just a game, but it’s become a predatory one for a bigger percent of players than anyone would think or admit.

I don’t expect most people to understand fully, and I never thought of myself as a gambler, but here I am.

This all isn’t a cop out, but yeah, I’m addicted to this game. A lot of people are. And we did do the equivalent of eating too much trans fat, but we were hungry.

Gotta play that premium pack slot machine, gotta be in the top hundred, gotta keep going. Ha, I’m in the top five again!

So I feel good for a minute, and don’t have to think about my pain, or my closest family member taking his own life, or my forgetful, sick old dad my thirty-year-old ass lives with again. Or how it’s keeping me from having a life.

I have a problem. Someone will monitor my money or something from now on. Again, not my first dance with bad habits. I’m already bargaining, look.

And it’s not just me, this game also has a problem. Hell, back when I was on heavy painkillers, drug dealers weren’t this stingy. If they had been, I’d have quit faster. Because people notice when something isn’t even capable of providing the escapism it promised at first.

Man, the sheer inability of anyone even attempting to make us “whale players” feel appreciated or satisfied is all anyone hears. In chat, in fleets, in the forums, and in the 5/10 rating from the Play Store . And so, thankfully along with that article, it all just came together.

Here I thought I’ve been living without substance abuse for a long time, but this counts. Playing a rigged, buggy game can only be an illusion for so long. A support ticket taking days for a reply nearly once a week can only feign concern and customer appreciation for so long.

I’ve played many games with memberships. Freemium games, too. And I’ve never seen such a rigged system, or such a concise article to point out that, if you’re here long enough to keep complaining,  you either have a problem, or stick around because you invested so much that leaving would feel BAD… so you lean on half-imagined hope as an excuse, just like I’m fighting off.

Either way, this game got enough of my money, and if it all changes one day, I’d love to come back.

But the coder equivalent of slumlords don’t inspire much confidence, nor does the ignored opinions and complaints of users, via silence in threads or support tickets meant to criticize the game or offer common sense solutions, in a positive or constructive manner.

I tried that quite a bit myself.

But I’m done. Games are for stress relief, not more stress.

Take care everyone, and hopefully think on some things.

Be well.

Signature 

—-
Blood from a stone DB, never again.
Need a good fleet with good people? Click here to check out mine!

Posted: 06 October 2016 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2016-10-02

Thankyou for sharing.

Posted: 13 October 2016 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2016-10-10

Ya, good read.  This game is unfortunately setup that way as well. To make things worse, its all luck based gambling too.

Personally I’m sticking to the $4 monthly, and I’ll probably won’t renew that now that the I’m in the realm of highly diminished returns.

I’d suggest that these game designers would be probably be better off getting a smaller amount of money from a larger portion of the players rather than simply going after a few whales.  I enjoy the game and don’t mind paying a bit, perhaps even a bit more than I do if properly incentivized. But I’ll never drop big money on one of these phone games.

Posted: 17 October 2016 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-10-17

It’s one thing to use the sense of accomplishment and progress you get from these psychological mechanisms (e.g. a variable reward schedule) to make the game more exciting and engaging. We want to be excited and engaged. It’s rather another to lure vulnerable people into spending money they don’t have on pretendy funtime points.

Posted: 20 October 2016 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2016-08-30
Akira2501 - 13 October 2016 11:07 AM

Ya, good read.  This game is unfortunately setup that way as well. To make things worse, its all luck based gambling too.

Personally I’m sticking to the $4 monthly, and I’ll probably won’t renew that now that the I’m in the realm of highly diminished returns.

I’d suggest that these game designers would be probably be better off getting a smaller amount of money from a larger portion of the players rather than simply going after a few whales.  I enjoy the game and don’t mind paying a bit, perhaps even a bit more than I do if properly incentivized. But I’ll never drop big money on one of these phone games.

You’re absolutely right on every point man, they need to rely on income from everyone, not just a few “whales”, who inevitably get burned out spending $200+ a month for NOTHING and bad CS.

I’d have kept going if they’d have stopped all the duplicates or showed any interest. But… guess this looks like it’s rating isn’t ever toppong 5/10 in the Play Store. It has the potential to be a nine. Sad.

Signature 

—-
Blood from a stone DB, never again.
Need a good fleet with good people? Click here to check out mine!

Posted: 12 March 2017 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2017-01-27

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. Ironically, I think Richard Garfield’s first game was something I was addicted to, but with Star Trek Timelines and reading this article, I am opening my eyes to my own behavior.

He’s right about abusive design. “People will spend what they want to spend” is really a moral evasion. Ironic that Star Trek is the brand here.

Posted: 08 July 2017 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2017-02-07
Captain Tucker - 12 March 2017 08:53 PM

I think Richard Garfield’s first game was something I was addicted to, ....

You have made me very curious: what was Richard Garfield’s first game?  I can only find reference that whatever it was, he designed it when he was 13.

I have been trying to post the reference I found, an article archived in
the web archive, but the forum thinks the link is spam.

Article:

Just like magic

By CHRISTOPHER ZURCHER

Published: Sunday, December 27, 1998 at 4:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 9:43 a.m.

Posted: 25 July 2017 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-05-18

An interesting article, when I installed STT over a year ago I was aware of the potential addictiveness of so-called ‘freemium’ games.

As a former heroin addict, I knew I would be susceptible to the addictive nature of these games and STT in particular, being an avid fan of all things Trek. However, I think this game is far more rewarding if played with little monetary investment(ie. monthly card) and more patience and perserverance.

Having said that, with alot more disposable income these days it does get very tempting for me to spend on this game. When the high cost of dil is considered, anyone can imagine how someone with an addictive personality could spend an absolute fortune on STT, far more than even a hopeless heroin addict would need to support their habit.

I wonder how many people get into debt because they cannot stop spending on these games? Alas, I fear the number is quite high.

Signature 

Levana And Our Ladies Of Sorrow:
I know them all too well.