NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

‹ First  < 3 4 5
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY
Posted: 26 September 2017 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2016-12-12
Data1001 - 25 September 2017 06:11 AM

The show hasn’t really grabbed me yet, and I had some big issues with a few things in the first two episodes, but it’s early, and I’m hoping it’ll pick up steam soon. However, I can’t believe there are still people comparing it to the ridiculous fluff that is The Orville.

Did you watch the Orville past the first episode?

Posted: 26 September 2017 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1354
Joined  2017-01-08
Pallidyne - 26 September 2017 03:23 PM
Data1001 - 25 September 2017 06:11 AM

The show hasn’t really grabbed me yet, and I had some big issues with a few things in the first two episodes, but it’s early, and I’m hoping it’ll pick up steam soon. However, I can’t believe there are still people comparing it to the ridiculous fluff that is The Orville.

Did you watch the Orville past the first episode?

I’ve seen three episodes so far. Since I’m a sci-fi/space nut, I’m going to give it a few more episodes, probably. Even if it manages to keep me as a viewer, however, I doubt it’ll ever rise far above the “ridiculous fluff” moniker for me. But then, I regularly watch and enjoy several shows that fit that description, like Z Nation—but at least that show revels in and celebrates its ridiculousness, whereas The Orville is, I fear, grasping at a level of quality that I doubt they’re capable of… partly due to the showrunners/producers not really having a clear vision of what kind of show they want it to be.

Thing is, I enjoy different shows on different levels. I dug both Dark Matter and Killjoys, even though I thought both were of a far lesser overall quality than a show like The Expanse. But they were mindless fun, and like I say, I’m a fan of the genre, so I’ll plop myself down on the couch and get a certain level of enjoyment out of a wide variety of sci-fi options.

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 28 September 2017 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2016-11-29

It is really OK for a scifi series but it doesn’t really feel like startrek. Not for a moment. I don’t get why they have to establish so many new elements like this weird looking robot on the bridge or the race of Saru. It simply doesn’t feel like startrek. For a random scifi show it is good.

Posted: 02 October 2017 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2017-05-15

Discovery.

Definitely has potential, only time will tell.

HOWEVER, has anyone else not figured out the timeline is wrong yet?

“Set 10 years before Kirk & Spock” is what they have told us. Michael Bernham’s log at the begining of Discovery Ep 01:

Stardate 1207.3/Earth date May 11, 2256.

Okay, The Enterprise 1701 first commissioned with Captain Robert April for a 9-years from 2245-2254, When Captain Pike took over command. (Pike was in command of Enterprise for 2 years until his accident, when Kirk was then assigned.)

This infers that the USS Constitution NCC 1700 had been around at least a few months before the Enterprise was completed and space worthy. So the Constitution class ships had been around for bare minimum a DECADE before the Discovery. Hmmm…

They also denote the USS Shenzhou as being “OLD”, is specified as a “Walker Class” (can’t find in Wiki), and it looks like an upgraded NX Class. Old, fine, we get it.

Then there’s Spock. He joined Starfleet 18 years before the day he reunites with Sarek on the Enterprise. This means he actually served with Captain Pike on the Enterprise for the full 2 years, as a Lieutenant, and I know on one episode his Starfleet record is read aloud, The Menagerie, maybe?

This also means that according to the Discovery timeline, Michael Bernham is Spock’s adopted younger sister. This creates another disparity since Sarek “disagreed with Spock’s decision to join Starfleet”, why would he be okay with Michael doing the same? Sarek is obviously trying to “convert” Michael to the Vulcan ways of logic to lead her down some path that he failed to do with Spock. But I digress.

There is surely plenty to discuss about the Klingon war, and how out of sync that probably is, but I will leave that for now.

All of that being said, I will be fair in saying there is probably no way to get it all right all the time. The Alien & Predator series is a perfect example of that.

I love all things Star Trek ( I also love all things JJ Abrams, but his version is NOT Star Trek. I think of his version as an exaggerated version of a story being told to children around a campfire at the far edge of the galaxy.)

“Timeline?! This is no time to argue about time! We don’t have the time! ...what was I saying?” ~ Deanna Troi

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2017 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-01-08

Having been uninspired by the first two episodes, I found the third episode of Discovery to be a huge improvement in almost every way. I’m still not sure it has much of a “Star Trek feel” to it, but the character interactions, the direction, the story, and even the action sequences engaged me much more so than previously. Thus, I’ve altered my attitude regarding the series to a few degrees above “cautiously optimistic”.

Signature 

Posted: 02 October 2017 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2016-02-24
Data1001 - 02 October 2017 12:32 AM

Having been uninspired by the first two episodes, I found the third episode of Discovery to be a huge improvement in almost every way. I’m still not sure it has much of a “Star Trek feel” to it, but the character interactions, the direction, the story, and even the action sequences engaged me much more so than previously. Thus, I’ve altered my attitude regarding the series to a few degrees above “cautiously optimistic”.

The lack of a Star Trek feel is really putting me off.
It’s still early so I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but yes, it worries me greatly.
And no one, if they wanted, could give the “oh but it’s wartime” excuse.

Enterprise dealt with the Xindi War, DS9 dealt with the Dominion War, and despite both of those being very plot-consuming, the Trek feel was still there.
There was still some semblance of upholding the core Trek values of Exploration, Welfare, Humanity, and Alliance.

Discovery so far has shown none of those things, no desire for exploration (aside form the very beginning intro sequence), no passion for welfare, no strive for humanity, and no embrasure of alliances/Federation solidarity or seeking relations with other alien species (ok very tiny bit of this), like I said though it’s only the 3rd episode. But with Discovery now turning into a “warship” as said by Lorca for next week’s preview. My hope is waning that the show will touch those essential Trek themes at all.

And my last beef with this episode, other than it being annoyingly dark and grim, wtf is with this astromycology super technology bs? I’m sorry, but like it’s trying too hard to upscale the series with this almost Iconian technology idea. Give me more Trek lore and we will talk, fit it better into the Trek universe and we can really talk. But if this spore technology doesn’t get better built into the Trek universe and its lore, it’s going to get really ugly and very faux science - even more than some of the trek stuff canon already.

Signature 

Check out my game achievements! Or scroll down to see my self-made character ala Star Trek Timelines design

The Haus of Gaghgagh is currently full right now. We are seeking fleet alliances though!

Posted: 02 October 2017 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2017-09-24

Good post GaghGagh.  I’m right there with you.  This show has been formatted to fit the AMC mold of programming, followed by (shaking my head) a talkshow.  In what Trek-verse is it okay for a Captain to divert a prison transport into a known trouble area in space that ultimately costs the pilot, presumably A GOV’T EMPLOYEE JUST DOING A JOB, their life?!?!?!  And my gods, I know this is going to be not-PC, but what’s with the redhead?  Is that supposed to be cute?  Is it supposed to strike some sort of sentimental cord with me?  What’s the message?  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we’ll need more Vulcans to save this Trek…

Posted: 02 October 2017 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2016-12-12
Jayne Cobb - 02 October 2017 08:12 AM

Good post GaghGagh.  I’m right there with you.  This show has been formatted to fit the AMC mold of programming, followed by (shaking my head) a talkshow.  In what Trek-verse is it okay for a Captain to divert a prison transport into a known trouble area in space that ultimately costs the pilot, presumably A GOV’T EMPLOYEE JUST DOING A JOB, their life?!?!?!  And my gods, I know this is going to be not-PC, but what’s with the redhead?  Is that supposed to be cute?  Is it supposed to strike some sort of sentimental cord with me?  What’s the message?  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we’ll need more Vulcans to save this Trek…

If Young Sarek is any indication, these are not the Vulcans you are looking for.

Posted: 02 October 2017 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2016-02-24

I was thinking more about “just why am I not liking Discovery, it can’t all be the lack of Trek elements: exploration, welfare, alliance, and humanity, can it?”

And then it hit me what another thing I’m not enjoying is.

Everyone is too serious, no one really has a role besides being serious about doing their jobs.

Let’s think on this.
The only people to show something outside of being serious have been Tilly (although I find her obnoxious) and Georgiou (may she rest in peace).
Burnham - always serious
Saru - always serious
Lorca - always serious
Stamets - always serious
Landry - always serious

These people are too uptight and need to unwind, otherwise they’ll just end up being unlikeable because there’s too many overserious people. Every Trek series has an outlet of comedic relief to alleviate the plot getting too dark. TOS had the Bones, Spock, and Kirk threeway spat, TNG had the antics of Data, DS9 had the Quark and Odo rivalry, VOY had Neelix and then the Seven/Doctor antics, ENT had Phlox. We need a mood-lightener character stat!

Signature 

Check out my game achievements! Or scroll down to see my self-made character ala Star Trek Timelines design

The Haus of Gaghgagh is currently full right now. We are seeking fleet alliances though!

Posted: 02 October 2017 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-01-08
Lady Gaghgagh - 02 October 2017 03:44 PM

Everyone is too serious, no one really has a role besides being serious about doing their jobs.

I can agree with that. I think it comes down to not letting the characters “breathe”—and I mean that in a literary sense, as applied to when the words for the script are being written. When it’s just exposition-exposition-argument-argument-action-action, it’s hard to get to know the characters much at all. But I do feel that the 3rd episode was definitely a move in the right direction to correct that—not just with Michael’s roomie, but Lt. Stamets’ brief conversation with his friend, and a bit of where he shared his passion for his profession with Michael—which showed a little more “humanity” (if you’ll excuse the speciesist term) and building blocks of the characters’ makeup, that I think was sorely lacking in the first two episodes.

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2017 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2013-08-15

Evil Shit. Only Nemesis was worse.
But great end at Episode 2! Hope “Michael” rot in her new life. wink

Signature 

“Don´t trust the Hammerman!”

‹ First  < 3 4 5
5 of 5