< 1 2 3
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY
Posted: 27 March 2017 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  713
Joined  2017-01-08
{nWo} SgtPotato - 23 March 2017 02:45 AM

I am WILDLY unhappy with this whole thing. Ugh. What happened to filling the cast of a Star Trek series with an ensemble of unknowns and stage actors?
[...]
I’m going into this series already quite familiar with at least three of the main cast (Yeoh, Martin-Green, and Isaacs), which is unprecedented.

I would say it’s probably due to the success of the recent films—it has become too big of a property for them to “take a chance” on unknown actors. Probably has a great deal to do with getting studio backing and support, as well—this is also a common movie-making truism, that the bigger a project gets, the more you need to prove to the investors (or the studio) that it will bring a return on the investment, and hiring name actors is one way of doing that.

But also, speaking solely for myself, it’s not the first time I’ve been familiar with at least 3 members of the main cast in a new Trek series before it aired. For example, DS9: I knew Avery Brooks from “Spenser: For Hire”, Rene Auberjonois from “Benson” and Colm Meaney from the film “The Commitments”. For Voyager, I was familiar with Kate from the short-lived “Mrs. Columbo” (aka “Kate Loves a Mystery”), Ethan Phillips, who was on “Benson” with Mr. Auberjonois, and Robert Picardo from a recurring role on “The Wonder Years” (plus numerous other TV appearances, including one episode on… you guessed it, “Benson”).

Speaking of that, what IS with that “Benson” connection, anyway? Sort of makes me wonder why Robert Guillaume never appeared on any Trek series. grin The guy is almost 90 now, but I’ll bet he’d still kill it as a retired Starfleet Admiral or something.

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 28 March 2017 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2016-04-14
(CS) Seeker - 23 July 2016 09:14 PM

Anyone else bummed that it is taking place this early in time? I was hoping it would take place after the events of Voyager / Star Trek nemesis so we could get a chance to see some of our favorite characters again.

I’m a bit bummed about this point as well. I was really hoping they’d go for something that took place AFTER the Dominion War and Nemesis but alas, we get this instead. Still, I’m just overjoyed that we’re actually getting a new series. After the virtual flopping of Enterprise, though I loved most of it myself, I was beginning to think we’d never see another Trek series, at least not for another 20 to 30 years. All I can say is, thank God the reboots were successful, or we wouldn’t be getting Discovery.

Posted: 31 March 2017 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  713
Joined  2017-01-08

If you didn’t see this announcement today, Rainn Wilson (Dwight from “The Office”—US version) will be joining the cast of Discovery as… Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/rainn-wilson-is-going-to-bring-harry-mudd-to-star-trek-1793897688

I really like Rainn’s work, but I’m not completely sold on this casting. Actually, I doubt anyone could replace Roger C. Carmel in that role. Makes me wonder if he’ll be doing an impression of Carmel’s vocal style, or if he’ll be bringing something completely unique to the role.

What do you guys think?

Signature 

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG “Haven”

Posted: 18 May 2017 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1287
Joined  2016-03-30

Well this is certainly…something

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/17/star-trek-discovery-trailer/

Posted: 18 May 2017 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2929
Joined  2016-01-30
das411 - 18 May 2017 01:56 AM

Well this is certainly…something

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/17/star-trek-discovery-trailer/

Its kind of schizophrenic but I’m still looking forward to it. I really wish they were able to work things out with Bryan Fuller.
I have been avoiding reading anything about the plot because I want to go into it knowing as little as possible, so it mirrors all my other Trek experiences.

Posted: 19 May 2017 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  477
Joined  2016-07-30

I couldn’t com up with a Trek appropriate meme, but every time I see new things about Discovery:

Signature 

My Crew Quarters

Prolific STT Wiki contributor.

Star Trek is a work of fiction. All characters in this game are fake. If you believe otherwise, please seek professional help. We care about you.

Posted: 20 May 2017 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2016-05-01

Are we sure that Discovery is supposed to play in the Prime Universe instead of the JJVerse? The trailer pretty much looked like how I would imagine a show in the JJVerse.

Posted: 20 May 2017 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  477
Joined  2016-07-30
Jim Raynor - 20 May 2017 06:03 AM

Are we sure that Discovery is supposed to play in the Prime Universe instead of the JJVerse? The trailer pretty much looked like how I would imagine a show in the JJVerse.

100% yes, it’s Prime universe. That’s been stated in numerous interviews by now.

Signature 

My Crew Quarters

Prolific STT Wiki contributor.

Star Trek is a work of fiction. All characters in this game are fake. If you believe otherwise, please seek professional help. We care about you.

Posted: 20 May 2017 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  688
Joined  2014-04-09

Cap Denslog ........... Supplemental:

https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

That video release did wet my appetite. I hope that my thirst for a quality new ST series is quenched when Discovery is finally launched.

Image Attachments
IMG_0232.PNG
 Signature 

Cap Denslog ....out

“Beam me up to the UNIMATRIX B4 - ZERO fleet”

< 1 2 3
3 of 3