NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 > 
Semi-Official Arena Strategy Thread
Posted: 02 July 2016 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  346
Joined  2016-01-29

Anyone who got early access to PVP (not me, personally) got a pretty big heads up on identifying good strategies, Crew with devastating abilities, and a general sense of what matters and what doesn’t. I’ve spent the past few days realizing that something was up, but I just didn’t know what.

When I combed the forums to try and learn anything about strategy, I could only get bits and pieces about strong Crew abilities (Dukat, Shinzon, Commando Crusher). No one seems to have voiced any coherent rules theory that explains or highlights how PvP really plays out. And because it is live (and not turn-based), you don’t have much time in a battle to actually learn a damn thing.

While we all know our ship stats, our passive Crew stats and their generic battle activations, we have all experienced the moment when we go up against a similar opponent and they blast us to smithereens before we can blink. This tells us that those “special” abilities (do X, when Y, Charge Phase this, Charge Phase that) really matter.

So I’m starting a formal thread where we can share info and actually try to figure this out. I will update this first post to capture all the learned wisdom so that ANYONE who comes to the forums can understand how to fight a good battle (and therefore, maybe actually have fun).

What I have learned so far:
Commando Crusher is extremely powerful: 350% damage.
Dukat (and I’ve been told Shinzon) are very powerful in a ship that can cloak. Dukat gives 500% damage while cloaked (or while de-cloaking, not really clear). This explains why Romulan Warbirds are so popular.

What I don’t know:

I’m assuming that Cloaking is a specific Ship Ability that you trigger, so that you can then trigger your Dukat/Shinzon. I’m not sure which button it is, so I press all of them.
Are there any counter-strategies against the Cloak + 500% damage? Or is that the key broken combo?

I look forward to anyone’s thoughts/comments. Now that I know about Crusher/Dukat. I’ve used my U.S.S. Defiant to kick some serious ass during my last two ship battles.

Signature 

https://twitter.com/TrekTimelines
Fleet Leader: O’Brien Must Suffer

Posted: 02 July 2016 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2016-03-04

Well one thing I’m not sure about, but would like to speculate on, is if it’s best to leave your ship on defense with a different setup than you use for offense. For example, the AI doesn’t know what to do with the cloak, so it’s very powerful in offense, but probably not so great in defense. In defense, you have to work with the AI, which apparently just “pushes all the buttons” as they light up. So you need to build up your “defense script” so to say, something that works out to a good combo with the initialization and cooldown timers. For example, the first skill that activates would be +accuracy, then next goes Crusher with her instant damage that needs no ship ability triggers, this combo is something even the dumb AI could pull off (or you would make it pull it off, by the way of “programming” it).

Signature 

[9RS | Combs] Kilana
9RS fleet is recruiting! Contact me for more information.

Posted: 02 July 2016 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  871
Joined  2016-02-14

The Basics:

-Each ship has their own set of unique abilities.  Be sure to read each ability, because some of the abilities give your ship a status.

-The possible statuses are Cloak, Position, and Boarding.  Some ships don’t offer any statuses, such as the Borg Cube, other ships have one, and a couple have more than one.

-Each crew memeber has a +x number associated with their skill, such as +8 attack.  Fusing crew increases this number.

-Some crew have bonus abilities, such as Commando Crusher and her 350% immediate damage ability.  Activating her will make your ship do a 350% immediate attack.  These blasts can miss.

-Some crew also have a trigger as part of their bonus ability, such as Dukat requiring cloak.  If your ship does not grant the status required for a trigger, the bonus ability will fail.  Activating Dukat when your ship is not cloaked, will not do an immediate damage attack, however you will still get the +x to attack from his move.  Only the bonus ability part will not activate.

-Triggers:  Cloak looks like an eye with a slash.  Boarding looks like a doorway.  Position looks like a ship overtaking another ship.  You can see the triggers next to a crew’s bonus ability.  Keep in mind, not every bonus ability requires a trigger, such as Frank Hollander.

-Boarding increases damage.  Cloak obvious cloaks your ship.  I think position is a bonus to your accuracy, but it might be evade, or both, or something totally unrelated like +x to crit rating.  I never use it, so I am not sure which it is.

-Passive ship stats are completely useless.  Crew that have 2200 accuracy or whatever means nothing.  The bonus is so insignificant you wont even notice it.  The only passive stats that are worth anything are Crit Rating(also referred to as Crit Chance), and Crit Bonus(increases critical hit damage).

-Make sure you match crew with a trigger to the appropriate ship.

-the +x number is basically the only stat that matters.

-Since stats are useless, feel free to put crew anywhere in your ship.  All that matters is what the abilities bonus move is, its init, duration, cool down, and the +x number.  I use people in slots they aren’t supposed to be in, because I dont care about not gaining useless passive stats.

- +x attack and immediate damage moves are completely over powered.  Use a combo like Uhura and someone with immediate damage, and proceed to basically 1 shot ships.  Immediate damage moves also seem to be able to crit, so if you have 5* Seven of Nine, she is perfect for the combo.  Use Uhura, Seven, and some immediate damage crew like Frank Hollander, and a level 8 HMS bounty can literally 1 shot a 10/10 cube when Frank Crits.

I will add to the list if I notice I left anything out.  Hope this helps.

Posted: 02 July 2016 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2016-03-04
MegaUltraNoob - 02 July 2016 02:57 PM

I think position is a bonus to your accuracy, but it might be evade, or both.  I never use it, so I am not sure which it is.

Position is +1000 to crit.. rating, I think?

Signature 

[9RS | Combs] Kilana
9RS fleet is recruiting! Contact me for more information.

Posted: 02 July 2016 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2016-04-27
jhport12 - 02 July 2016 02:35 PM

Anyone who got early access to PVP (not me, personally) got a pretty big heads up on identifying good strategies, Crew with devastating abilities, and a general sense of what matters and what doesn’t. I’ve spent the past few days realizing that something was up, but I just didn’t know what.

When I combed the forums to try and learn anything about strategy, I could only get bits and pieces about strong Crew abilities (Dukat, Shinzon, Commando Crusher). No one seems to have voiced any coherent rules theory that explains or highlights how PvP really plays out. And because it is live (and not turn-based), you don’t have much time in a battle to actually learn a damn thing.

While we all know our ship stats, our passive Crew stats and their generic battle activations, we have all experienced the moment when we go up against a similar opponent and they blast us to smithereens before we can blink. This tells us that those “special” abilities (do X, when Y, Charge Phase this, Charge Phase that) really matter.

So I’m starting a formal thread where we can share info and actually try to figure this out. I will update this first post to capture all the learned wisdom so that ANYONE who comes to the forums can understand how to fight a good battle (and therefore, maybe actually have fun).

What I have learned so far:
Commando Crusher is extremely powerful: 350% damage.
Dukat (and I’ve been told Shinzon) are very powerful in a ship that can cloak. Dukat gives 500% damage while cloaked (or while de-cloaking, not really clear). This explains why Romulan Warbirds are so popular.

What I don’t know:

I’m assuming that Cloaking is a specific Ship Ability that you trigger, so that you can then trigger your Dukat/Shinzon. I’m not sure which button it is, so I press all of them.
Are there any counter-strategies against the Cloak + 500% damage? Or is that the key broken combo?

I look forward to anyone’s thoughts/comments. Now that I know about Crusher/Dukat. I’ve used my U.S.S. Defiant to kick some serious ass during my last two ship battles.

I can completely relate to your experience.  It has been a steep learning curve.  I had early success when Pvp went live for everyone, finishing in the top 1% of the admiral division and cpt division, I was even ranked at #1 briefly in the admiral division. 

On occassion, I started running into difficulties against ships that I should have been easily able to defeat. And the reason for those losses is because of some lack of understanding with crew abilities and triggers.  That’s when I noticed a pattern with recurring characters that a lot of people choose.

One the one hand, it is good that there is some depth to Pvp, however I feel that some of us are in the dark.  I don’t think it helped that up to 50% of the player base had advanced game time on Pvp to learn about these nuance’s.

DB, an in game glossary,guide or demo would be appreciated.  And while you will stress that you covered this in a stream from over a week ago, my long term memory for intricate details about the rules of Pvp in a game isn’t that great and nor do I wish to spend 30 minutes re-watching your stream.  Fulfil your obligation as a game developer and provide some help.  Not everyone is inclined to sit through a 30 minute stream while taking notes.

Posted: 02 July 2016 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-14
Kilana Kurozakura - 02 July 2016 03:01 PM

I think position is a bonus to your accuracy, but it might be evade, or both.  I never use it, so I am not sure which it is.

Position is +1000 to crit.. rating, I think?

Ya you might be right, I don’t feel like rewatching the stream.  Also interesting to note, there are currently no 5* ships that grant position status.  Which is one of the main reasons I don’t care about this status.  But mostly, cloak is too good vs the AI.  The AI wastes everything while your cloaked.  Neither of the other two statuses can even come close to how useful cloaking is right now vs the AI.

Posted: 02 July 2016 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2016-07-01

The way I see it, the ducat combo is only good if you don’t have commando crusher or the new Spock.  Why ? Ducat requires cloaking to deal +500% damage while the others don’t.  And the cloaking CD is fricking 40 seconds long, that means in most cases you can only use the ability once.  Where Crusher or Spock can use it 2 to 3 times.

From my experience (maybe I am bad), they are really good, but not instant win, some ships / crew still counter them.  At this point I can’t pinpoint what ships / crew counter them, because I didn’t pay attention the last few times I lost.  But my guess is a ship has at least 2 +evasion crew, with at least 1 +XXX% damage ability or +attack ability, a regen ability.  something like that.

Try not to blow your abilities when the opponent’s ship ‘s evasion is high, wait for it to come down then pop + acc and +attack /+

Posted: 02 July 2016 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  346
Joined  2016-01-29

Mega, which Uhura has a special ability that matters and what is it?

Signature 

https://twitter.com/TrekTimelines
Fleet Leader: O’Brien Must Suffer

Posted: 02 July 2016 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-14
jhport12 - 02 July 2016 03:58 PM

Mega, which Uhura has a special ability that matters and what is it?

The original 4/4 Uhura, not the event one.  At 4/4 she has a +8 attack with 12s init and a 26s duration.  The way attack scales, +8 or higher is very very very strong.  Especially when activated before immediate damage attacks.  26 seconds of +8 attack is insane.  You will rarely attack someone and have her move use the full duration.

EDIT:  I cannot confirm, but I am pretty sure attack does not scale in a linear manner.  Its a safe bet to say its some sort of exponential growth formula.

Posted: 02 July 2016 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  924
Joined  2016-02-27

The Basics:

-Each ship has their own set of unique abilities.  Be sure to read each ability, because some of the abilities give your ship a status.

-The possible statuses are Cloak, Position, and Boarding.  Some ships don’t offer any statuses, such as the Borg Cube, other ships have one, and a couple have more than one.

Thanks.
Dumb question, where is the above info?

Posted: 02 July 2016 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-14

My two setups:

Admiral Division:  I still use the same setup Spacemunky came up with back when we were the first testers.  Nothing I have tried out of my crew combos and ships has come even close to this setup he came up with.  He used 5* Seven of Nine, 5* Picard, Frank Hollander, and UC Obrien.  Since my Picard is only 1/5 with a +5 attack, I swapped out Picard for Uhura(+8 attack).  I use level 8 HMS Bounty. 

I basically do the same thing every game, activate O’brien, because my level 8 ship needs the early evade or I usually get put into too large of a hole when I face a level 10 ship.  I then activate stealth, and use the full duration to let the AI waste as much duration as possible from their actives.  Once stealth ends, or once the AI abilities have gone on cooldown, I use Uhura, Seven then Frank Hollander.  If Frank crits, its basically a one shot.  If its a normal hit, it will deplete the shields and a sliver of the hull.  From here its a crap shoot in a level 8 ship.  Sometimes I win, sometimes I get outgunned by a higher level ship.  I always save my HMS move that repairs hull to maximize the repair.

Captain Division:  Basically a variation of my admiral set up, but I forgo the crit part of the set up.  I use Gowron, Uhura and Phlox.  Gowron gives +9 evade out of cloak.  Uhura gives +8 attack and phlox has an immediate damage attack.  I use a level 8 Romulan Warbird.

I use the same strategy.  I use my cloak and let the AI waste all of it’s abilities.  Use Gowron right before cloak ends to get +9 evade.  Activate Uhura and then Phlox.  Proceed to do over 1/2 of the enemy ships total HP, and then clean up with +9 evade from Gowron and +8 attack from Uhura.

Posted: 02 July 2016 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-14
elemntee - 02 July 2016 04:16 PM

The Basics:

Thanks.
Dumb question, where is the above info?

As far as where did I learn this?  Or as in where can I see the status of each ship?

The info came from the stream, and me being in the very very first test group as part of the council.

As far as where can I see each ship’s status moves.  Just go to your battle arena, and go to the crew setup from the arena.  Once you are in your crew setup, click on each ships abilities, and read the description.  They vary from just being a stat boost, to having a move like 400% immediate damage or repair hull by 15%, ect.  Also certain moves will say things like, “This move grants cloak.” 

So to see which ship has what, just go through your battle station and look at each ships moves, and take note which moves grant a status.

Posted: 02 July 2016 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  924
Joined  2016-02-27
MegaUltraNoob - 02 July 2016 04:26 PM

As far as where can I see each ship’s status moves.  Just go to your battle arena, and go to the crew setup from the arena.  Once you are in your crew setup, click on each ships abilities, and read the description.  The vary from just being a stat boost, to having a move like 400% immediate damage or repair hull by 15%, ect.  Also certain moves will say things like this move grants cloak. 

So to see which ship has what, just go through your battle station and look at each ships move, and take note which moves grant a status.

Ah, I should probably look at and read this sort of info instead of..fight ships, press big stupid fingers on screen, flashy lights, ships go BOOOOOOMM!!!!

Thank you.

Posted: 02 July 2016 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2016-01-23

The battles is the least exciting thing about this game sadly. I’m just playing it for something to do.

For me. The whole thing is rubbish. Too much silly little things you are meant to look for and its just not worth it for me.

The battles were meant to be live I expected. This is such a crap method of playing.

Posted: 02 July 2016 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2016-05-26
MegaUltraNoob - 02 July 2016 03:12 PM

Also interesting to note, there are currently no 5* ships that grant position status.  Which is one of the main reasons I don’t care about this status.

Maybe true of 5* ships, but when I’m playing Captain, the position ability has been golden for me. My USS Defiant is a higher level than my version of the oh-so-popular warbird. The Defiant has an ability that grants position. So I light that up, then Maquis Takeover Torres deals 500% damage with position. She and Commando Crusher both have a 6 second initialize. So I can activate them back to back, which is usually enough devastation to clinch things. If it’s not, Defiant’s cloak is available shortly after that, then cloak and pop back out with Dukat, and it’s over.

The beauty is that with the AI’s habit of hitting every button as soon as it’s available, the position/torres/crusher combo still works in defense.

Posted: 02 July 2016 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-14
datalaughing - 02 July 2016 05:36 PM
MegaUltraNoob - 02 July 2016 03:12 PM

Also interesting to note, there are currently no 5* ships that grant position status.  Which is one of the main reasons I don’t care about this status.

Maybe true of 5* ships, but when I’m playing Captain, the position ability has been golden for me. My USS Defiant is a higher level than my version of the oh-so-popular warbird. The Defiant has an ability that grants position. So I light that up, then Maquis Takeover Torres deals 500% damage with position. She and Commando Crusher both have a 6 second initialize. So I can activate them back to back, which is usually enough devastation to clinch things. If it’s not, Defiant’s cloak is available shortly after that, then cloak and pop back out with Dukat, and it’s over.

The beauty is that with the AI’s habit of hitting every button as soon as it’s available, the position/torres/crusher combo still works in defense.

Ya I was testing out USS with Gowron and Martok.  Its amazing in an attack, but the AI instantly failed on a defense.  But those two in the USS Defiant in an attack is brutal.  I love how it has both cloak and position.  It opens up more combos.

1 2 > 
1 of 2