NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 3 >  Last ›
Cadet Challenges: Essential Crew & Optimum Pathing [FINAL VERSION- CMO Bones added]
Posted: 04 June 2016 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2016-02-04

Greetings fellow captains!
Credit to Shikao Wakabayashi’s Google Sheet, which I used to help me construct this post. The crew specified here don’t have the highest stat in a category- rather, they offer the best coverage in terms of challenges they are eligible for AND in terms of passing Elite nodes with their other traits. Many missions will require multiple playthroughs to get all rare rewards. If modified crew is needed, this is listed below.

COMMAND
Cadet Sito Jaxa (Eligible for all Challenges). Sito can also pass Diplomacy nodes on Elite.
You may substitute Ensign Ro. She is eligible for all Challenges, but she only has Command.

DIPLOMACY
Dabo Girl Leeta (Eligible for The United Federation [TUF] and A Certain Formality [ACF]). Leeta can pass Command nodes on Elite.
OR Persis (Eligible for TUF and ACF). Persis can pass Security nodes on Epic as well. She is much more reliant on rolls than Dabo Girl Leeta.
Enterprise-D Picard (Eligible for Ex Astris Scientia [EAS]). Picard can also pass Command nodes on Elite.
You may substitute Ensign Sato for Enterprise-D Picard. She is eligible for A Certain Formality and Ex Astris Scientia. She only has Diplomacy.

ENGINEERING
Ensign Seska (eligible for all Challenges). Seska can pass Security nodes on Elite.
OR Lt Naomi Wildman (eligible for all Challenges). Naomi can pass Diplomacy nodes on Elite.

MEDICAL
CMO Crusher (eligible for EAS and ACF).
Nurse Kes (eligible for TUF and ACF). Kes can also pass Diplomacy nodes on Elite.
Dr Phlox can be used with CMO Crusher ONLY, and can pass Science nodes on Elite. Phlox is dependent on rolls, though his average is above 380.
Nurse Paris can be used with Nurse Kes ONLY. He is VERY dependent on bonuses, and his average is below 380. Nurse Paris can also pass Epic Command nodes in EAS.
1* CMO Bones is needed to get a rare reward.

SCIENCE
Ensign Pazlar (eligible for all Challenges). Pazlar can also pass Command nodes on Elite.

SECURITY
Security Chief Worf (Eligible for EAS and TUF). Worf can pass Command nodes on Elite.
Major Kira (Eligible for TUF and ACF). Kira can pass Command nodes on Epic, though she needs a good roll.
Cadet Nog (eligible for EAS and TUF), and can also pass Elite Diplomacy node.
Lt Tasha Yar (eligible for EAS and ACF) can also be used, but only has one trait.
Persis (eligible for ACF) can be used for Security, and can pass Epic Diplomacy nodes with a good roll.
If you are using Yar, you can use KDF Alexander, Glinn Damar, or First Maje Haron instead of Worf or Nog. ALL OF THESE CHARACTERS MUST BE PAIRED WITH YAR!

Promoted Sisko/Away Team Archer, CMO Bones, and Seven in Blue are required in order to collect ALL the rare rewards on Epic, though not to PASS all the missions. If you’re just looking to have ACCESS to and be able to complete all the missions, they are non-essential.

Alternates added/removed at the suggestions of JayBeezy, Shikao Wakabayashi, Lethifold, Ivanstone, and Captain DeMarco.

OPTIMUM PATHING
This section show the best crew to successfully complete a mission. To collect all rare rewards, alternate crew are listed below. You may have to run a mission multiple times to collect all rare rewards.

EX ASTRIS SCIENTIA
Bravery in Action
290 Skill check
BEST CREW: Worf, Crusher, Naomi Wildman/Seska
FOR RARE REWARDS: Sisko/Archer, Crusher, Naomi Wildamn/Seska

Top Marks
310 Skill check
BEST CREW: Naomi Wildman/Seska, Worf, Pazlar
FOR RARE REWADS (following bottom path): Naomi Wildman/Seska, Worf, Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren

Talk Less, Smile More
325 Skill check
BEST CREW: Worf, Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren, Picard

Back in Time
345 Skill check
BEST CREW: Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren, Pazlar, Namoi Wildman/Seska OR Crusher

No Man Left Behind
380 Skill check
BEST CREW: Pazlar, Crusher, Picard
FOR RARE REWARDS: Pazlar, Crusher, Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren (You’ll have to intentionally fail the engineering node, but Crusher gets a Cyberneticist bonus that ensures she won’t fail the final node); Crusher, Pazlar, Bones (only Bones can crit the first Medical node)

THE UNITED FEDERATION
History Interrupted
290 Skill check
BEST CREW: Worf, Pazlar, Leeta/Persis

Incompatibale with Life
310 Skill check
BEST CREW: Worf, Kes, Naomi Wildman/Seska

First Conflict
325 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Kes, Worf, Pazlar
FOR RARE REWARDS: Kes, Worf, Seven in Blue

Flesh and Blood
345 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Worf, Kira, Naomi Wildman/Seska
FOR RARE REWARDS: Worf, Naomi Wildman/Seska, Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren
*Seska is better than Naomi Wildman for this mission. She gets a bonus for being Obsidian Order on node 2, allowing Worf to not drop below 345 from being used twice in a row

Of Two Evils
380 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Naomi Wildman/Seska, Worf, Leeta/Persis OR Pazlar
You’ll have to take a penalty somewhere along this mission, but Worf gets two bonuses for the final command node, and will pass with a decent roll.
FOR RARE REWARDS: In addition to the above combination, use Leeta/Persis, Pazlar, and Kes (you’ll incur a penalty from failing the first node)

A CERTAIN FORMALITY
Down Once More
290 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Kira, Crusher/Kes, Pazlar
FOR RARE REWARDS: Crusher/Kes, Naomi Wildman/Seska, Pazlar

A Question of Rights
310 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren, Pazlar, Leeta
FOR RARE REWARDS: Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren, Pazlar, Naomi Wildman/Seska

Talarian Coup
325 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Naomi Wildman/Seska, Crusher/Kes, Kira/Yar
FOR RARE REWARDS: Naomi Wildman/Seska, Kira/Yar, Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren (Seska and Kira are better, since theoretically they can alternate Security nodes AND Kira could hit the Command as well. You’ll need to play through this one a few times).

The Coming Storm
345 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Kira/Yar, Leeta/Persis, Kes/Crusher (Kes is preferred as she gets a LOT of bonuses on this mission)

Breakwater
380 Skill Check
BEST CREW: Leeta/Persis, Kira/Yar, Sito Jaxa/Ro Laren

Signature 

Disruptor Beam at court, the court of silence.

VIP 12

Admiral of the 7th Tactical Wing

Member of the VIP 0 Heroes as Darmok Mk 0.5

Posted: 04 June 2016 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2016-01-18

That’s pretty good list, but there’s a few others that could work as well.  For Security, for example, Cadet Nog works well for both Starfleet and Alien challenges instead of Worf, and he also has good Diplomacy.  Lt Yar works well for Starfleet and Women challenges, as well.  For Engineering, Ensign Seska is excellent, since she is also eligible for all three challenges, and has good attributes.

Signature 

Long Life and Prosperity

Posted: 04 June 2016 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2016-04-14

My concern is ther is only 1 2* science female cadet.

Posted: 04 June 2016 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2015-05-03

The list omits Seven of Nine with Science and Engineering. Eligible for Federation of Planets ans Women of Star Trek.

Edit: I just realized these were the BEST options and not a comprehensive list.

Signature 

Fleet: Quark’s Holosuites
Always looking for sociable Trekkies to join our Trek loving fleet

“Tarses in the streets, Tarses in the sheets”

Posted: 04 June 2016 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-04
JZ Bubbles - 04 June 2016 08:44 PM

The list omits Seven of Nine with Science and Engineering. Eligible for Federation of Planets ans Women of Star Trek.

Edit: I just realized these were the BEST options and not a comprehensive list.

This is a list for those who want to maximize their crew space while also being able to complete every cadet challenge. There are many options, but the fewest number of characters you can use is some combination of nine of the characters listed above.

It also takes into account that some of the characters are dual-trait (or triple trait), and will be able to pass nodes with their secondary skill on the elite level.

Signature 

VIP 12

Posted: 04 June 2016 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  982
Joined  2016-05-05
Protege - 04 June 2016 08:39 PM

I have zero female Science that are 1* or 2* - I’m screwed lol

Posted: 05 June 2016 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2016-05-01
ArchieS - 04 June 2016 09:28 PM
Protege - 04 June 2016 08:39 PM

I have zero female Science that are 1* or 2* - I’m screwed lol

You aren’t the only one.

At 40 crew slots… this means I need to dedicate ~25 percent of my available crew slots to these cadet missions if I decide I want to be able to do them all.

However, I have yet to ever see several of these crew members in my pulls, so I hold little hope that this is something that will be possible in the short term.

Yay

Posted: 05 June 2016 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2015-10-25

This a great list. Too bad I’ve never seen most of these crew drop, and I’ve airlocked many a duplicate cadet these past few months.

Posted: 05 June 2016 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2013-02-21

Great post! mhelm

CMO Crusher can be paired with Dr Phlox for MED to cover all 3 Challenges (though there is no one really to pair Nurse Kes with, cause Nurse Paris is bit too bonus dependent to my liking).

DaiMon Darmok - 04 June 2016 10:48 AM

As you may know, the Friday, 6/3 Disruptor Stream previewed the final Cadet Challenge, which is indeed Women (and supposedly asexuals) of Star Trek.

Was it anywhere stated directly that this will be the last Challenge? What about Saturday and Sunday? Also didn’t they say in the beginning that Challenge will start to rotate at some point the future?

Posted: 05 June 2016 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2016-05-04

You missed one other thing… KDF Alexander.

Though his full stats are not yet on the wiki, a glance at any of the other security cadets makes it fairly obvious that KDF Alexander is the best of them with the exception of Yar.

Therefore, I’d say that the best pairing is Yar/Alexander by far.

Signature 

F2P for me. I like a challenge. You can use your money, I’ll use my talents.

Posted: 05 June 2016 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2016-03-18
Shikao Wakabayashi - 05 June 2016 03:18 AM

As you may know, the Friday, 6/3 Disruptor Stream previewed the final Cadet Challenge, which is indeed Women (and supposedly asexuals) of Star Trek.

Was it anywhere stated directly that this will be the last Challenge? What about Saturday and Sunday? Also didn’t they say in the beginning that Challenge will start to rotate at some point the future?

Admiral Riker caused controversy last time when it was up to him to decide who were eligible aliens.
Hopefully he is on more solid ground judging this category.  He just needs to score each candidate out of two.  If he would give them one, they qualify smile

Yes, the possibility of weekend challenges was pondered on the stream. They didn’t rule it out, but mentioned that it would need a change in the UI.  So it sounded like the Thursday challenge will be the last one we see - for a while.

Signature 

DILITHIUM CAUSES CANCER

Posted: 05 June 2016 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2016-04-24

Thanks for the overview DaiMon Darmok!

... As you may know, the Friday, 6/3 Disruptor Stream previewed the final Cadet Challenge, which is indeed Women (and supposedly asexuals) of Star Trek. ...

I seem to remember they said “women crew” (and “female trait”) aiding “not men”, of which examples were “third sexes, androgynous folk and genderqueer”. (Apparently, the latter is a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer ) Then Rachel summed it up as “by women for women” and did her teenager enthusiasm move.

Posted: 05 June 2016 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-04
Lethifold - 05 June 2016 03:29 AM

You missed one other thing… KDF Alexander.

Though his full stats are not yet on the wiki, a glance at any of the other security cadets makes it fairly obvious that KDF Alexander is the best of them with the exception of Yar.

Therefore, I’d say that the best pairing is Yar/Alexander by far.

Yar isn’t nearly as attractive an option as Kira, as Kira can hit Epic on BOTH of her traits (though she would need a good roll to do it on Command). Yar is a single trait. Alexander’s skills are also HEAVILY loaded to his Security- his command is pathetic, and I’m not sure his Engineering can hit Elite nodes either. Worf can definitely hit Elite with his command. It’s not just about raw stats- yes, some of the single-trait characters have higher stats- it’s also about coverage.

Signature 

VIP 12

Posted: 05 June 2016 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-02-04
Shikao Wakabayashi - 05 June 2016 03:18 AM

Great post! mhelm

CMO Crusher can be paired with Dr Phlox for MED to cover all 3 Challenges (though there is no one really to pair Nurse Kes with, cause Nurse Paris is bit too bonus dependent to my liking).

I think a couple of weeks ago when Jon Snow was doing it they said that weekend challenges were a problem for some reason and didn’t foresee doing them in the near future. I for one am happy that the Thursday challenge and new Distress Calls are coming soon!

Signature 

VIP 12

Posted: 05 June 2016 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2016-05-30

This is a great post!

I recently thought through the process myself, and basically came up with the same conclusions.

Signature 

“Listen to me very closely because I’m only going to say this once. Coffee. Black.”

Posted: 05 June 2016 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1136
Joined  2016-01-20

Darn I thought I was doing alright, but out of those 9 I only have 5:
2/2 Lt Naomi Wildman
2/2 CMO Crusher
1/2 Nurse Kes
2/2 Security Chief Worf
1/2 Major Kira

Signature