< 1 2 3 > 
Kirk vs Picard
Posted: 06 May 2016 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2016-05-02

My choice would have to be James T. Kirk.

Let me explain why….

By Starfleets definition Capt. Picard embodies the picture perfect poster child as to what a Starfleet Captain should be and how they should behave.

Capt. Kirk was more of the outlaw, the daredevil. He was suave! He wasn’t afraid to really push the boundaries without weighing the “logic”.

Signature 

Posted: 06 May 2016 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1136
Joined  2016-01-20

Yes this debate has raged since TNG debuted.

What I don’t get is all the people saying the usual cliched responses that Kirk will just rush in, he’s not strategic, etc.  Have you even watched TOS?

Balance of Terror - did Kirk just rush in to attack the unknown Romulan vessel?  No, he was cautious, measured, and reflective on the ramifications of the situation.  Being on the border of the Neutral Zone meant contact with Starfleet Command would take hours, so the weight of his decisions fell squarely on his shoulders, and he knew it.  In the end he made a calculated command decision, not based on emotion.

In the above episode and others, he does seek the opinions of his officers and the counsel of his friends, but he doesn’t spend more time in the conference room than on the bridge.

Several episodes where Kirk wins not by fighting his way out of a situation, but by his wit and his guile, against overwhelming odds:
The Doomsday Machine
The Corbomite Maneuver
The Changeling
  (the story pretty much repeated in TMP)

In other episodes when forced must be used, it’s measured.  And once his opponent is vanquished, he offers assistance.

As for where I stand on the matter:
Top 100 reason why Captain Kirk is better than Captain Picard!
smile

Signature 

No bloody A,  B,  C,  or  D

Posted: 07 May 2016 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2016-03-21

I say Kirk!

Signature 

(QH) Frodo won Kenobi
Quark’s Holosuite

Posted: 06 June 2016 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2016-05-20
TheDornishDragon - 20 April 2015 05:44 AM

Sisko would kick both their butts. tongue wink

Yeah Sisco is a worm hole god…... Kirk vs Picard…. if there is a female in the arena, kirk will get distracted and loose.

Signature 

The Fleet of Fleets.

Posted: 25 June 2016 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2016-05-27

Kirk will win
At first the Double Fist
than the Special Kirk Drop Kick
and when this is not still enough
the one-two chop

wink

Signature 

Lavabo inter innocentes manus meas

Posted: 24 August 2016 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2016-02-09

Kirk over Picard
Stewart over Shatner

Janeway over everyone.

Posted: 27 August 2016 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2016-05-01
Hungry Dog - 24 August 2016 04:10 PM

Kirk over Picard
Stewart over Shatner

Janeway over everyone.

Seriously Janeway? As much as I would like a female Captain she was badly written. She continuosly lost the ship/ She almost lost every battle until the enemy decided to have a change of heart. She had to time travel with future technology to defeat the borg and get her crew back alive.

She was an inconsistent character. One moment she would want to genocide an entire specie for scraping her ship then she wants to show compassion to an enemy that almost committed genocide against her crew.

I felt the writers tried to make Janeway the female Kirk and they unfortunately failed. Kate Mulgrew and Voyager deserved so much better. In general a number of the characters deserved better. It is unfortunate since the writers did a brilliant job with Seven of Nine and the Doctor. The only two worthy character additions from the main Voyager crew to the Star Trek universe.

Signature 

“Go back to bed, Cadets, DisruptorBeam has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed Cadets, DisruptorBeam is in control. Here, here’s more random characters. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed Cadets, here is Star Trek, here is a new made up crew for this week! Here you go cadets - you are free to do what we tell you!

Posted: 27 August 2016 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2016-05-01

Both Captains have equal merit. They are products of their times and relevant to their societies.

I would want Kirk to be hands on and lead the fleet and Picard to negotiate the treaties. Kirk is a man of action, Picard is the Diplomat. You need both dependent on the situation. Kirk suited the 60’s someone to take on the wild frontier in the late 80’s we supposedly became a society of reflection and consequence hence Picard is better suited. Both were the perfect Captain of their times that is why this causes such a debate. It depends which time you prefer.

But to be honest in the Utopian world Kirk would probably be a relic and we all would be Picard’s.

Signature 

“Go back to bed, Cadets, DisruptorBeam has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed Cadets, DisruptorBeam is in control. Here, here’s more random characters. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed Cadets, here is Star Trek, here is a new made up crew for this week! Here you go cadets - you are free to do what we tell you!

Posted: 01 September 2016 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2016-07-26

This will never be answered, the debate has gone on since TNG began which is now two decades, each has a strength and weakness, and unless for some reason they have an all out battle theres no way to tell who would win in a battle.

Posted: 01 September 2016 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14

Kirk would have ripped his shirt fighting Dathon, then taken him down with a double axe handle to the gut.  Then tried sleeping with him.

Whether that is better or not is your call.

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 15 January 2017 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-01-15

Obviously sisko comes out on top

Posted: 17 April 2017 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Yeoman
RankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2017-01-11

Since the test between Kirk and Picard has been changed to include both Sisko and Janeway let do the full Kobayashi Maru on this scene.

Kirk & Archer (yeah I added him too) time travel forward. Q teleports Janeway form the Delta quadrant. Janeway not really wanting to get into a physical confrontation gets Rambo-ed up with her phaser rifle. Riker tells Picard he’s the captain and go into a dangerous situation, looks around and sends in Worf and his Batleff. Sisko shows with Odo and Kira. Kirk brings Spock And a crazed Sulu with a fencing sword.

Kira stuns Janeway due to faster draw time. 
Archer, Kirk and Sisko get into a 3-way punchfest.
Spock nerve pinches Worf just before he kills Sulu.
Spock tries the same with Odo says fascinating right before Odo drops him.
Kira who seems to enjoy a good fight as mush as the next person jumps in the brawl.
Odo stands by to see who needs to be arrested while snickering at the stupidity of the solids.
Picard the diplomat is imploring everyone to stop fighting,
Meanwhile, Worf wakes up walks over and punches Picard in face. This makes up for all the times Picard ignored his advice, he then allies himself with Sisko.  Seeing Worf, Kira becomes the non season 1 Kira who likes Sisko, they proceed to beat up the non DS9 crew.  With the fight basically over they look up just in time to see Empress Sato as she stuns the remaining group and proclaims victory.

So basically Kirk vs Picard, Hoshi for the write-in win.

Posted: 12 May 2017 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2014-04-09

https://youtu.be/DiunXOYnclk

ENTER THE BORG: ........ Kirk vs. Locutus

Now that the “Assimilation Process” has begun in the Alpha Quadrant, what happens now that the Borg are about to enter the fray???

This time they try to invade the past with the help of Picard but Kirk will try to stop them and continue his battle with Picard.

Image Attachments
IMG_0204.PNG
 Signature 

Cap Denslog ....out

“Beam me up to the UNIMATRIX B4 - ZERO fleet”

Posted: 19 May 2017 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2017-03-27

I’m going with my own write in candidate: Pine-Kirk.

Why?

Because he’s so bad ass that he was promoted to the rank of Commander right…out…of…the Academy.

None of the other Captains can match that, including Prime Kirk.

Signature 

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam

Posted: 23 May 2017 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2016-03-05

Prime-Kirk vs the (write in) Pine Kirk would be like future Spock meeting the younger version of himself. There is an ancient quote about age, wisdom and cunning beating youthful exuberance every time. In the game of Timelines we can “make it so.”

But I think things might get a little hairy. rolleyes

Image Attachments
IMG_0233.PNG
 Signature 

“MAKE IT SO….... B-4 Resistance Becomes Futile. ........JOIN UNIMATRIX B4 - ZERO”

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3