< 1 2
Sharpen your Linguistic Skills by learning a little Klingon
Posted: 11 June 2015 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2014-04-20

Okay, I’ll judge away wink

1.) Sort of true; he did write the first few lines of Klingon dialogue, which Marc Okrand then used as a starting point for creating tlhIngan Hol smile

2.) Nope, but they have considered it!

3.) Staring at any Klingon for too long is potentially hazardous for your health!

Funny story about that Rosetta Stone video:

Rosetta Stone had no idea that Nerdist were making that video until they started getting bombarded with questions about their Klingon language pack. This caused quite a bit of commotion at the marketing department tried to figure out what to do about this.

In the end, they decided that all publicity is good publicity, and so they started directing all questions and mentions to their language request form.

Interestingly, Nerdist didn’t need to get Rosetta Stone’s permission to use their product in the video, because it counts as a parody and is covered by Fair Use. However, when Rosetta Stone wanted to use the manipulated publicity shot for their website, they needed to get permission to do so.

That evening, there was an event at a university (I believe it was University of California) where alumni from the linguistics track came in to mingle with students and talk about possible career options.
At one point a man comes in and apologizes for being so late. He told them that he worked with social media at Rosetta Stone, and that he’d had a crazy day because of this video.
...at which point Marc Okrand stepped forth and (something along the lines of) “Well, I should apologize. It seems I’ve caused you a lot of trouble!”

Posted: 11 June 2015 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  701
Joined  2014-04-09
loghaD - 11 June 2015 12:20 PM

1.) Sort of true; he did write the first few lines of Klingon dialogue, which Marc Okrand then used as a starting point for creating tlhIngan Hol smile

2.) Nope, but they have considered it!

3.) Staring at any Klingon for too long is potentially hazardous for your health!

When I ran across that tidbit of info about Scotty getting the 1st ‘stab’ at writing the Klingon language I was impressed. Also impressive is your knowledge base of the language and the Klingon culture. I knew the Rosetta Stone video was a joke but posted it for the entertainment value. Thanks for that background story on it.

Also .......I would rather take my chances stealling a few glances at that Klingon female in leu of that “hot tube escapade”. vampire

Image Attachments
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
 Signature 

Cap Denslog ....out

“Beam me up to the UNIMATRIX B4 - ZERO fleet”

Posted: 09 July 2017 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-04-09

Try telling a Klingon to his or her face that the “Klingon language cannot be used here.” .... Would it be a violation of the freedom of speech on some world?  Chancellor Martok has been kidnaped. The High Council is in chaos. Read the faces of those around you to see if the scoundrels are among us.  Check their documents for “today is not a good day to lie….... it is a good day to die.” Decipher the legalese or klingonese in the following video. I raise this issue only in jest just to post the following video clip during this month that Disrutorbeam delves into the dangerous world of the Klingon.

https://youtu.be/afNXTcGw3ds

Neither the Empire nor Martok will be saved by weighing the scales of justice in this realm ........ but only by weighing the Scales of Power:

https://youtu.be/r9vdBD-jXow

Image Attachments
IMG_0464.PNGIMG_0465.PNGIMG_0471.PNG
 Signature 

Cap Denslog ....out

Posted: 09 July 2017 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2017-03-29

Soooo I’m confused.  According to the forum dates, the first posts in this thread occurred in 2014.  Need I say more?

Signature 

Solidarity with fellow players urging DB to Do Better.  Thank you Shan and DB for recent notable improvements in communication and gameplay.

Posted: 10 July 2017 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-04-09
Eerie Koi - 09 July 2017 11:36 PM

Soooo I’m confused.  According to the forum dates, the first posts in this thread occurred in 2014.  Need I say more?

Perhaps I can clear up your confusion by pointing out that many forum members were posting on this forum long before the game was released. Those who are relatively “new” to the forum and somewhat new to the game may not realize that the forum predates game release. But if you are not new to ST Fandom you should realize that the Klingon mythos predates the formation of the Federation. This thread was started exactly 3 years ago as you state on July 14th of 2014. ( I’ll give you a day to catch up because today is July 10th ) But keep in mind that the number 3 is important. To simplify it for you, counting past the number 3 in the Klingon language gets increasingly more difficult. Therefore the Klingons adopted a system similar to that of the federation to describe how to count to ten. Hopefully you will at least learn to count to 3 and understand the significance that just because you personally may have not viewed or visited a particular thread, does not diminish its significance in terms of chronology:

https://youtu.be/w3MKlpn7Dzs

Image Attachments
IMG_0484.PNGIMG_0483.PNG
 Signature 

Cap Denslog ....out

Posted: 10 July 2017 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2017-03-29

Love it!  Years ago I did pick up Michael Dorn’s Basic Klingon CD and a copy of Hamlet in Klingon.  It’s a lot of fun to check out now and again.  Cap, why don’t you post in the forums much anymore?  Seems like you used to more frequently,  but I’ve never seen you online until I checked out these sub-forums yesterday.

Signature 

Solidarity with fellow players urging DB to Do Better.  Thank you Shan and DB for recent notable improvements in communication and gameplay.

Posted: 11 July 2017 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-04-09
Eerie Koi - 10 July 2017 10:35 AM

Cap, why don’t you post in the forums much anymore?  Seems like you used to more frequently,  but I’ve never seen you online until I checked out these sub-forums yesterday.

I have been extremely busy with matters here on Earth. In addition to trying to maintain the [UB4-0] Fleet, helping to repel the Borg incursion into sector Zero Zero One, and now there are reports that the Borg may have had something to do with the kidnaping of Klingon Chancellor Martok. My team is evaluating intel gathered during a battle between the Borg and the Klingons.

https://youtu.be/_82IjjV2xns

Image Attachments
IMG_0492.PNG
 Signature 

Cap Denslog ....out

Posted: 14 July 2017 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2016-03-05

https://youtu.be/avH2K1iR8Oo

If you can’t use a Universal Translator you have to rely on teamwork because you can’t always go by “the book.”

Image Attachments
Screenshot_2017-07-14-02-47-52.png
 Signature 

“MAKE IT SO….... B-4 Resistance Becomes Futile. ........JOIN UNIMATRIX B4 - ZERO”

< 1 2
2 of 2