Game of Thrones

AvA Suggestion - Divisions
Posted: 15 May 2017 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Stablehand
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2014-03-26

From what I gather, the thrust behind the Rogue phase experiment was to level the playing field so that more Alliances could meaningfully compete. That’s a laudable goal, but there’s no denying that the balancing is unfair to players who have dedicated time and real-world money to build their accounts for AvA. What’s more, the experiment would suggest that the specific changes Rogue made are not especially ineffective. From my quick, casual glance at the War Rankings, the usual suspects wound up winning most of the regions. Also, for those of us in the strong AvA alliances, the changes would make AvA less fun. A big part of the appeal of AvA is competing across regions, making alliances of convenience with other groups, etc.

By the same time, there are dozens or hundreds of alliances that participate in AvA with no realistic expectation of winning or placing high in a region. There should be a mechanism to allow for those alliances to get to experience the thrill of fighting it out for a region.

To that end, I suggest creating AvA divisions similar to the different levels of competition in American baseball or English scoccer. I’ll use the baseball analogy because I know nothing about the Premiership other than that it exists.

Under this idea, Alliances would no longer all be grouped together for AvA. There would be two or three divisions, A, AA, and AAA. The same rules with regard to timers, camp limits, etc. would apply to all three divisions, but the region rewards would change according to division. AAA region rewards would be the same as current AvA rewards, AA rewards would be less generous, and A rewards would be less generous still.

At the beginning of AvA, Alliance leaders would select the division in which they want to compete for that phase. Ostensibly, the power AvA alliances would duke it out in AAA, while smaller or lower-level alliances would compete in the lesser division. For smaller alliances, this would present better competition and a realistic chance of winning. In turn, the bigger alliances would get the challenge of mostly competing against their peers.

Posted: 15 May 2017 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Squire
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2014-12-17

I think that the idea is good overall, but I think that you would also see alliances “fighting down.”  They likely would rather have first in a region or two in AA than a 7th place in AAA. I see the same thing in dance competitions for my daughter or in the Martial Arts competitions when I was growing up. Teachers will put their dancers in the “recreation” category, even though they practice enough to be competitive. In martial arts, at competitions, you would see the career green belts, who won a lot of tournaments as a green belt, but with their level of skill and training, they should have been brown (or red) or, in some cases, black belt, depending on the style. Anyway, I think that it is a good foundation and I think most of us do want a more level playing field, so thanks for posting.

Signature 

There is no joy in Greyjoy.

Posted: 15 May 2017 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Smallfolk
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2015-01-29

A good idea, but in all honesty and fairness, I don’t think it would change the widespread disease that has infected AvA. If anything, It would only allow certain alliances to continue their “questionable” methods to dominate the AAA regions, while others would have to settle for A or AA regions.
A more simple solution without having to revamp AvA again….contain the disease, limit regions.

Posted: 16 May 2017 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Warden
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  2013-03-24

You would just have the most active alliances scaling down to take all the first place regions

Besides the fact that DB cannot even catch the cheaters who share accounts in this game

I doubt they could code divisions for AvA

Signature 

Officer in Winter is Coming Alliance
Schadenfreude - Bounty Hunter
Wight Wedding - Darkest Horror

Posted: 17 May 2017 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Stablehand
RankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2016-04-26

That’s too complex and much workload for DB handle. Hamster will die.

Investigation of Slayer phase already make DB team delay their original schedule.

Current AvA Regional Rank prizes already provide different set of prizes. If you give up to engage regional win / top 3 / top 6, top 10 / 20s / 40s are fair achievable depends how hard working your team are.

I prefer DB to done more solid QoLs, analysis and fix the root problem of distorting game balance first. Oh, I almost forget ... A Vale House please. We all want Vale House.

Posted: 17 May 2017 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Stablehand
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2014-03-26
Barrett - 17 May 2017 11:34 AM

I prefer DB to done more solid QoLs, analysis and fix the root problem of distorting game balance first. Oh, I almost forget ... A Vale House please. We all want Vale House.

With the end of the TV series in sight, we can probably forget about any more big content adds or major feature re-designs.

Posted: 18 May 2017 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Squire
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2014-07-01

We still have through 2018 with current series, and possibly much further with spinoffs. Assuming the contract goes on, or can be renegotiated, this could still be a viable game several years from now. That being said, I agree with everyone else. I see nothing that indicates to me that those selfsame 4 or 5 alliances wouldn’t just hit down and try to speed up their quest to take every region on the map.

Signature 

Tremond Swann, Hand of the Queen