NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Gauntlet Cheat Isn’t Working!
Posted: 23 March 2017 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1687
Joined  2016-09-02

i decided to try it and brought along a lvl 1 David Marcus as a punching bag. somehow i haven’t lost a single trophy overnight. what am i doing wrong? is he not coming up for others because i also have Sarek and GP Neelix on the team covering the same two skills? i know people are doing this to deliberately drop rank, have easier matchups, and in turn a longer streak. calling all the pro gauntlet cheaters. what’s the exact setup for this to work?

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 23 March 2017 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  566
Joined  2016-07-07

It’s hard to do specific research on how it picks the character from the defender.  My assumption always was it picked the character with the highest expected average amongst your selected crew.  In that case, you’d want to make sure your “bag” character had a 2-skill-combo that isn’t covered by ANY other character.

So, if you used a Lvl1 Marcus, you need to make sure you don’t use ANY other CMD or MED characters, or else they would be better matchups.

Alternatively, you could just load up on CMD/DIP/SEC/MED characters, so any time SCI/ENG comes up, you don’t have a matching crew.

Signature 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 23 March 2017 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-09-02

so i crippled myself for nothing. great.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 29 March 2017 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-09-02

well, this new setup seems to be working. i went from 615 trophies to 579 in about an hour, so that’s 12 3-trophy losses.

Image Attachments
punchbag.jpg
 Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 29 March 2017 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14
p377y7h33f - 29 March 2017 05:22 PM

well, this new setup seems to be working. i went from 615 trophies to 579 in about an hour, so that’s 12 3-trophy losses.

ran into this a couple times now.  Go with Depth instead of throwing in trash.  If you load up on three stats, Command/Dip/Sec for example.  the gauntlet will pull someone with no matching stats for say a eng/sci roll.  gives you more goes at extending streak by giving you another usable character.

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 29 March 2017 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  2014-04-18

Wouldn’t you be better off with a single skill 1*?

Signature 

“Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ~ Jean Luc Picard / Kamin
Fleet = eXo, Formerly Unimatrix B4-0

Posted: 29 March 2017 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  2016-07-14
Papinka - 29 March 2017 05:42 PM

Wouldn’t you be better off with a single skill 1*?

I maintain, you are better off just having no one for 2-3 stats and 5 good crew focused in others.

Signature 

This week Frank and Roonis talk about extra long shuttles,  the concept of F2P pain to convert to spending customers, discuss how Odo is not a Dax, and discuss the worst Starfleet Department to work in, HR.

Brand New Twitter Page!!!! https://twitter.com/FrankAndRoonis

Posted: 29 March 2017 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-09-02
Roonis - 29 March 2017 05:37 PM
p377y7h33f - 29 March 2017 05:22 PM

ran into this a couple times now.  Go with Depth instead of throwing in trash.  If you load up on three stats, Command/Dip/Sec for example.  the gauntlet will pull someone with no matching stats for say a eng/sci roll.  gives you more goes at extending streak by giving you another usable character.

that sounds like a good plan. i’m just worried about merits when it hits me with streaks of the 3 skills i don’t have.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 29 March 2017 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  2016-01-30

Yeah, all these plans seems like Merit eaters. I had a 40 and 60 streak that dropped one single 20 Chroniton package. Tons of 5* trainers though.

I rather refresh as little as possible so I just load up on the free Merits get what I need from the faction shops.

Posted: 29 March 2017 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-09-02
South of Sulu - 29 March 2017 07:43 PM

Yeah, all these plans seems like Merit eaters. I had a 40 and 60 streak that dropped one single 20 Chroniton package. Tons of 5* trainers though.

I rather refresh as little as possible so I just load up on the free Merits get what I need from the faction shops.

you have to combine this strategy with deliberate tanking. always, always go for the 10 trophy fight, even if it’s harder than the 250 trophy fight. you can do that up until the very last session or two, and still be able to recover your rank at the end. staying the lowest possible rank throughout most of the gauntlet is the key here.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”

Posted: 30 March 2017 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  566
Joined  2016-07-07
p377y7h33f - 29 March 2017 07:49 PM

you have to combine this strategy with deliberate tanking. always, always go for the 10 trophy fight, even if it’s harder than the 250 trophy fight. you can do that up until the very last session or two, and still be able to recover your rank at the end. staying the lowest possible rank throughout most of the gauntlet is the key here.

See, the “even if its harder” aspect of this strategy is where I don’t think you’re actually getting the benefit you think you’re getting.

Basically, your goal is to maintain long streaks.  Reasonable.  You facilitate this process by leaving a hole in your crew so you lose points so you can get “easier” matchups.  Still with you.  But then you go with harder matchups where you have a higher probability of losing in order to keep your score low.

This is completely counter to your entire strategy.  If you’re trying to maintain a streak, you should be going for guaranteed shots; NOT harder shots because they give you less points. 

Even with ALL 99% probability wins, you only have a 50% shot of your streak going beyond 70.  Your expected streak drops all the way to 27 with a 97.5% probability.  It just seems like you’re needlessly handicapping yourself for next to no gain and even taking excessive risks with no tangible benefit.

That said, I’ll take the free wins in my gauntlet and encourage every other person to take part in this strategy.

Signature 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler’s_fallacy

“...people expect that a short run of random outcomes should share properties of a longer run, specifically in that deviations from average should balance out”

Posted: 30 March 2017 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-09-02
Peachtree Rex - 30 March 2017 07:25 AM
p377y7h33f - 29 March 2017 07:49 PM

See, the “even if its harder” aspect of this strategy is where I don’t think you’re actually getting the benefit you think you’re getting.

Basically, your goal is to maintain long streaks.  Reasonable.  You facilitate this process by leaving a hole in your crew so you lose points so you can get “easier” matchups.  Still with you.  But then you go with harder matchups where you have a higher probability of losing in order to keep your score low.

This is completely counter to your entire strategy.  If you’re trying to maintain a streak, you should be going for guaranteed shots; NOT harder shots because they give you less points. 

Even with ALL 99% probability wins, you only have a 50% shot of your streak going beyond 70.  Your expected streak drops all the way to 27 with a 97.5% probability.  It just seems like you’re needlessly handicapping yourself for next to no gain and even taking excessive risks with no tangible benefit.

That said, I’ll take the free wins in my gauntlet and encourage every other person to take part in this strategy.

well, i meant relatively harder. like if the most rewarding fight can be won with a very fatigued crew, but the cheapest fight requires a fresh strong crew, i’ll spend the fresh crew just to keep away from the higher ranking spots. unfortunately, no matter how much you tank, the cheapest fights eventually go up in price significantly, and you end up right in top 10 anyway. and then it doesn’t matter if you’re 1st or 9th, keeping the streak will be tough regardless.

Signature 

“the village is strong!”