NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Ship Battles: The relationship between the big and small attack/accuracy/evasion numbers
Posted: 28 October 2016 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  513
Joined  2016-08-05

In another thread, the topic came up of how much passive bonus is required to bump up a tier of Accuracy/Evasion in ship battles. I happen to have some data on those mechanics, so here is my understanding of how it works. I apologize in advance if the tables are hard to read, the forum software doesn’t handle formatting well.

First off, each ship has two sets of numbers we are concerned with. The first set is the general tiers for Attack/Accuracy/Evasion, which I will refer to as a ship’s Rating. For example, a Lv1 Romulan D’deridex Warbird has Ratings of 5 Attack, 6 Accuracy, and 4 Evasion. The second set is the more precise Power values - using the Lv1 Warbird again, it has 3900 Attack Power, 4500 Accuracy Power, and 3400 Evasion Power. The Power values are what ships actually fight with - for example, a ship does damage equal to its Attack Power - while the Rating is a more general gauge of strength.

Each Rating value corresponds to a range of Power values. As far as I can tell, the ranges are the same for Attack, Accuracy, and Evasion. These are the range of Power values I have observed corresponding to each Rating:

Rating: Power
1: 1300-1550
2: 1600-2000
3: 2030-2500
4: 2650-3425
5: 3450-4450
6: 4495-5750
7: 5800-7500
8: 7550-9600
9: 9800-12600
10: 12737-15900
11: 15925-19200

Rating values can go higher (at least up to 18), but these are the tiers I have significant data for. The missing values between tiers are Power levels I couldn’t observe, and which don’t fall between two observed Power values with the same Rating. As you can see, the ranges get much larger as the Rating goes up, from just a few hundred points of Power being enough to raise a tier at lower Ratings, to several thousand points at higher Ratings. If you have enough passive bonuses from crew to push you up a Rating tier, it will be reflected in your Ratings once you start a battle.

So what do Rating tiers matter if the raw Power values are what ships fight with? What tier you are at determines how much bonus Power you get from ability boosts. Having a higher base Rating tier means you get more of a Power increase from the same boost. The amount of Power you get is a fixed number based on what Rating tier the ship is in.

This is the amount of Power increase for a +1 bonus at each level:

Rating: Increase
2: +468
3: +608
4: +791
5: +1028
6: +1337
7: +1738
8: +2259
9: +2937

For larger bonuses, sum up that many rows starting with your starting Rating. So if you have our Lv1 Warbird (5 Attack Rating), the bonus of a +3 Attack boost would be the sum of rows 5, 6, and 7 (+4103 Attack Power.) I do not have info for how much power is lost when penalties are applied (e.g. Alternate Future Bashir’s -3 Attack penalty.) This info was derived from testing on Attack Power since its the only Power type that’s directly observable, but it should follow for Accuracy and Evasion as well.

As far as patterns go, the scaling between tiers seems to be roughly exponential. The gaps between the ranges make it difficult to determine exactly what they scaling is since there is uncertainty about the cutoffs, but it seems each tier starts about 30% higher than the last. Similarly, the Power bonuses from abilities seem to increase about 30% over the previous level.

tl:dr: Rating goes up when you add enough passive stats to get to the next threshold. The amount to the next threshold increases exponentially at higher Ratings. A higher Rating gives a bigger boost to Power from active ship abilities.

Posted: 28 October 2016 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2016-10-05
Sleeping Dragon - 28 October 2016 02:35 AM

This is the amount of Power increase for a +1 bonus at each level:

Rating: Increase
2: +468
3: +608
4: +791
5: +1028
6: +1337
7: +1738
8: +2259
9: +2937

Great work! I can confirm (from own experiments) these numbers are accurate.

For a +1 bonus you might want to add
1: + 360
to the table.

Have you looked at hit chances? The chance to hit seems based on the accuracy-evasion ratio. I’m not yet sure if it is a ln(x) or c/x curve.

Signature 

DUTCH DELTA FLEET is recruiting dutch speaking members, see our thread here - dutch delta fleet

Posted: 28 October 2016 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2016-09-01

Thank you—this is great!  I’ve always been curious about the relationship between those numbers.

Signature 

————————
No longer playing or reading the forum.  It was fun while it lasted.

Posted: 28 October 2016 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2016-08-30

I’m too lazy, but anyone else want to push this over to the Wiki?

Signature 

Perception is the thin dividing line between reality and fiction

Immortalized crew count:
26×1★; 35×2★; 57×3★; 44×4★; 39×5★

Someone lifted my sig crew count! I’m flattered!