NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

1 2 > 
Prepare to Engage with Star Trek Timelines
Posted: 18 August 2015 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2014-06-10

Earlier this year, John de Lancie spent several days at Disruptor Beam. He offered creative input on storytelling and world building in Star Trek Timelines, as well as original voice work as the one-and-only Q.

John also explored how Star Trek Timelines is being made. He spoke with the team to learn both how deep their love of Star Trek stretches, and how that passion is being channeled into a modern video game. Check out the video below to see the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0c_BjF8fOM

Coming to iOS, Android, and the Web in Fall 2015, Star Trek Timelines merges the characters, stories, and settings from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT. Gather your favorite Star Trek heroes and villains to build your ideal crew, explore the galaxy, and captain your own destiny. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

http://disruptorbeam.com/blog/entry/prepare-to-engage-with-star-trek-timelines

Signature 

Shields at 87%.

Visit the Star Trek Timelines Wiki - more information than the Enterprise’s memory banks.
Join the community at the Star Trek Timelines Subreddit.

Posted: 18 August 2015 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2332
Joined  2012-08-25

Thanks for posting this! You beat me to it. wink

We’re getting great coverage all ove the place!

http://www.gamezebo.com/2015/08/18/star-trek-timelines-video-shows-off-early-footage-and-q/

cheese

Signature 

Khatie McKeeper
Former Community Director, Disruptor Beam

I’ve worked with you through tough times and fun.
Play on now, make me proud of what you’ll become.

Posted: 18 August 2015 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  2014-04-18

Looks great!  I love the “Fall” call out.

Signature 

“Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ~ Jean Luc Picard / Kamin
Fleet = eXo, Formerly Unimatrix B4-0

Posted: 18 August 2015 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2014-06-10

Another article. smile http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/18/disruptor-beam-and-special-guest-q-shows-off-more-details-on-the-upcoming-star-trek-timelines-mobile-game/

Really enjoyed the video.

Signature 

Shields at 87%.

Visit the Star Trek Timelines Wiki - more information than the Enterprise’s memory banks.
Join the community at the Star Trek Timelines Subreddit.

Posted: 18 August 2015 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2014-05-02

I’m in hyper ! The game will be magnificent smile

Posted: 18 August 2015 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant Commander
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  576
Joined  2014-04-08

After seeing the new video with brand new footage I am anticipating a new anomaly of fun which has been detected. Bracing myself for a very fun game ahead!

Signature 

“Live long and prosper.”-Spock

Posted: 19 August 2015 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1951
Joined  2013-05-19

bring it on, cant wait

Posted: 19 August 2015 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1103
Joined  2014-04-09

I’ve been watching these videos, and I am thrilled with the detailed artwork.  I am however getting a little concerned.  The graphics look like they are getting into what I fear may be tablet only level. 

Will the game be playable on a phone, or just tablet for android and ios?

Signature 

Peace, Love and Fuzy Wuzy Tribbles.

Posted: 19 August 2015 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2013-04-18

I am looking forward to it. Hopefully I can put it on my iPad

Signature 

River Song/Donna Noble
WELL I MIGHT JUST HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT THAT SPACEMAN!
Well I was on my way to a gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought ‘gosh the third Reich’s bit rubbish I think I’ll kill the Fuhrer’ who’s with me?

Posted: 20 August 2015 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Federation Council
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-05-20

STT will be a multiplatform game; you will be able to play on your phone, tablet, web-browser, and PC/Mac.

We’ve created some slick performance management tech that will scale the assets you’re loading based not only on your device but also your framerate, screensize, bandwidth, etc.  So you’ll be getting the best assets for your particular configuration while you play.  This also keeps the cache size reasonable as you’re not downloading anything higher resolution than you can make use of.

This is a strategy we refer to as “Having our cake and also having all the other cakes”.

Signature 

Art Director

Posted: 20 August 2015 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2015-02-23

1) Great video and really superb tease.
2) VulcanDude’s gif wins the forum for today.

but….

3) I see zero black ppl. I don’t want to start a flame war here or anything, y’all - I promise! But I game w/ppl in every ‘race catagory’, ‘gender category’, and generational category. In Star Trek, those kinds of categories were all blurred and blended WAY before the culture caught up. I’d love DB to be proactive in this, but it doesn’t look like that’s happening. I know that it’s not a talent deficit or lack of applicants, so I’m asking nicely: seek out new races that have not yet been hired, and

ENGAGE

Signature 

There’s no place like home… but the stars…

Posted: 21 August 2015 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  2014-04-18

You know Cisco, Geordi, Worf, Guinan, Jake and others will be in the game.  I thought Cisco showed up as one of the options to choose from in the video.

Or are you saying the DB team?  Because I am sure they are picking the strongest applicants for each role as they are building their small company for the love of gaming.  It’s hard to know who applied and what their credentials were.  Who wants to live up in the NE (no offense intended from this TX guy) vs elsewhere (most people smile)

I understand your point, but I wouldn’t build too many assumptions off a video.

Have a great day!

Signature 

“Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ~ Jean Luc Picard / Kamin
Fleet = eXo, Formerly Unimatrix B4-0

Posted: 21 August 2015 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2015-02-23
Papinka - 21 August 2015 08:11 AM

...are you saying the DB team?  Because I am sure they are picking the strongest applicants for each role as they are building their small company for the love of gaming.  It’s hard to know who applied and what their credentials were.
I understand your point, but I wouldn’t build too many assumptions off a video.

Have a great day!

Hi Papinka! Yes, I was definitely noticing that the DB team isn’t as diverse as the ST universe. Not making a lot of assumptions based on the video, just noticing and mentioning. You have a lovely mind, to be so sure that the strongest applicants for each role were chosen.

It’s not that I’m accusing the DB hiring squad of blatant racism - far from it! It’s that I’m giving the DB squad credit for being aware that institutional and systemic racism is something that must be consciously resisted, or it can skew your staffing without that being at all what’s intended.

This NYT article lays out the phenomenon of racial resume sorting very well: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/upshot/the-measuring-sticks-of-racial-bias-.html

quoting the gist for those who don’t have time to read the whole thing:

“When our own résumé study came out, many human-resources managers told us they were stunned. They prized creating diversity in their companies, yet here was evidence that they were doing anything but. How was that possible?

To use the language of the psychologist Daniel Kahneman, we think both fast and slow. When deciding what iPod to buy or which résumé to pursue, we weigh a few factors deliberately (“slow”). But for hundreds of other factors, we must rely on intuitive judgment — and we weigh these unconsciously (“fast”).

Even if, in our slow thinking, we work to avoid discrimination, it can easily creep into our fast thinking. Our snap judgments rely on all the associations we have — from fictional television shows to news reports. They use stereotypes, both the accurate and the inaccurate, both those we would want to use and ones we find repulsive.”

As I said above, my intention is not to ‘call out’ or accuse. It is to raise a Trek-related topic (creating a universe of respectful diversity) in a Trek game forum. Before anyone says that geeks/gamers are predominantly white, I will assure you that the actual percentage of G.O.C. (gamers of color LOL) is much closer to the national population average than you think - just as the male/female ratio is closer to the actual average population than most folks think.

I raise this issue to HELP DB reach as broad and profitable an audience as possible cuz I love y’all. Jumping on a ‘teachable moment’ is something we bartender/counselors love to do.  wink

Signature 

There’s no place like home… but the stars…

Posted: 21 August 2015 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-04-09
AllenWhite - 20 August 2015 01:26 PM

STT will be a multiplatform game; you will be able to play on your phone, tablet, web-browser, and PC/Mac.

We’ve created some slick performance management tech that will scale the assets you’re loading based not only on your device but also your framerate, screensize, bandwidth, etc.  So you’ll be getting the best assets for your particular configuration while you play.  This also keeps the cache size reasonable as you’re not downloading anything higher resolution than you can make use of.

This is a strategy we refer to as “Having our cake and also having all the other cakes”.

That’s awesome!  Thanks for sharing the “cake.”

A followup question though, will performance management tech be customizable by the user?  I’m on my phone and playing, and whoops, I realize I didn’t charge my phone over night.  Can I manually turn the settings down even further to conserve battery and still keep playing?

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2015 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Federation Council
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2015-05-20

The full suite of options/preferences we want to present the player is still TBD.

Signature 

Art Director

Posted: 23 August 2015 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2014-04-09
AllenWhite - 23 August 2015 09:14 AM

The full suite of options/preferences we want to present the player is still TBD.

No problem, it was just a thought, and definitely something that could be added in later, if it is even decided to be added at all.

Very cool about the scaling of graphics depending on device.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2