NOTICE: NEW FORUMS

We are excited to share with you our brand-new and improved Disruptor Beam forums!

We've chosen new forum software that brings added functionality to improve your experience, including increased spam management. Your username details have been carried over, so you should be able to login with your old forum details without issue. For our veteran community members, you'll see that we have many of the thread categories you’re used to, so we hope you'll feel right at home there.

Our new forums are located here: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/

Comments on Conflict
Posted: 16 July 2015 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2332
Joined  2012-08-25

A key part of Star Trek Timelines is fixing the distorted timelines that pop up across the galaxy. To do that, you’ll participate in conflicts, commanding your crew to peacefully resolve matters… or else.

Read Nod’s latest blog post here:

http://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/entry/conflicts-in-star-trek-timelines

As always, your comments are welcome (and appreciated)!

Signature 

Khatie McKeeper
Former Community Director, Disruptor Beam

I’ve worked with you through tough times and fun.
Play on now, make me proud of what you’ll become.

Posted: 16 July 2015 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Commander
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  2014-04-18

/nod to Nod.  Thanks for sharing these insights.  I’m sure we’ll be in there making timeline altering decisions soon (tm).

Signature 

“Seize the time - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ~ Jean Luc Picard / Kamin
Fleet = eXo, Formerly Unimatrix B4-0

Posted: 16 July 2015 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2013-08-19

Are these “conflicts” different than “missions”?

Posted: 17 July 2015 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Ensign
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2015-02-23
wilshade - 16 July 2015 05:24 PM

Are these “conflicts” different than “missions”?

The blog seems to use the terms interchangeably. In the world of theater, all drama arises from conflict. Just so, in the world of Star Trek, there usually has to be some kind of conflict to propel the action.

But one sweet thing about the Roddenberry universe is that conflict is not REQUIRED in order to propel action. Sometimes, the motivation for movement is pure curiousity (“to boldly go where no one has gone before”) or compassion (‘The McGuffinians need medical supplies, Captain!’).

I’m gonna hope there’s some of that in STT(tm). Still, once the curiousity or compassion is acted upon, there’s usually some kind of conflict that arises to create DRAMA. Cuz no drama = existentialist theatre, and I’m pretty sure Roddenberry was the opposite of existentialist.

Signature 

There’s no place like home… but the stars…

Posted: 11 August 2015 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Cadet
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-08-04

What part of Star Trek Timelines is it open for foreign discussion on establishing a omniclass government, such name as Earth realistically among the public and why is this not the main topic to be achieve before the invention of the warp drive?